On Nigeria and Football Talent!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
On Nigeria and Football Talent!

Post by YUJAM »

I have always maintained that Nigeria possesses more football talent than any other country in Africa. It is not imprudent to claim that Nigeria has an embarassment of riches in this respect.

For some reason though, folks like Enugu II dispute this claim vigorously. Their claim being that if you make such a case, then show some statistics to back-up your assertion. Very recently, someone posted a list of Nigerian professionals abroad. If I recall properly, this list comprised of over 200 individuals.

This large group of foreign professionals clearly shows that Nigeria is the chief exporter of talent to other countries. One would be hard pressed to show any other African country that exports as much talent. In fact, one can say with a certain degree of confidence that all of, say, North Africa combined does not export as much talent.

Another area that gives us a good idea of the amount of talent is the rate at which players are exported.. All one has to do is take a look at the number of young players going abroad yearly to see that as compared to other African countries, this rate is off the charts. Enyimba lost almost half of its squad during their first or second African Champions League campaign.

Players continue to leave the shores of Nigeria at a very fast rate relative to the rest of Africa for countries like Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco, S Africa, Malta, England, Italy, France, Sweden, Germany, Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Saudi Arabia, China etc etc. Show me one African country that can match this rate, and I have the London Bridge to sell you.

Despite this alarming rate of player drift, locally, new talent continues to flow like oil that is produced out of one of those seemingly bottomless oil wells in the Delta. Now, I know that skeptics like our beloved Enugu II would once again throw a wrench in this line of argument by asking for evidence.

My evidence is based on the fact that despite this drift of players, Nigerian clubs still continue to do very well in African competitions. Enyimba lost almost half its squad in one ACL campaign, yet were able to draft new players who helped the team win the coveted championship.

This, despite the fact that they competed against teams from countries that have a large number of their best players still playing at home. The same thing applies to Julius Berger who only lost narrowly to Etoile Sahel in the final. A similar point can be made for the U-23 team which is constantly being re-tooled with new local players, yet the side is still the team to beat in its group. What other country in Africa is able to replenish talent so quickly?

IMO, that Nigeria has the deepest reservoir of talent on the continent is not in doubt. One of the major points of contention is why this is the case. In my view, it boils down to the combination of the following factors:

i) A huge population which is more than the whole of the rest of W Africa combined.

ii) Having a large population of certain folks who have the correct physical attributes for the game of football.

iii) A long tradition of playing football. It is the number one sport
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Yujam, it is embarassing that Nigeria have only won the ANC twice. That trophy should be one evert other tournament by the Eagles.
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

Yes, we have won the ANC just twice but have appeared in several finals and semis. This means that by the time we get our acts together, win and defend it a couple of times, we will have the all time best result.
Let's continue to play the finals and semis.....our time will come.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Yujam,

Although I like your thesis, don't confuse talent (you are referring to technique and control) with the ability to play. They are not mutually inclusive. Just take a look at Monsier Okocha. He is one of the greatest talent to come out of Naija but it took him a good ten years until he got to Bolton to learn to play properly within a team structure.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Gadfly:
I refer to talent quite liberally here. The assumption being that a player that is in demand abroad and is acquired is talent exported!
Gadfly wrote:Yujam,

Although I like your thesis, don't confuse talent (you are referring to technique and control) with the ability to play. They are not mutually inclusive. Just take a look at Monsier Okocha. He is one of the greatest talent to come out of Naija but it took him a good ten years until he got to Bolton to learn to play properly within a team structure.
Last edited by YUJAM on Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Just take a look at Monsier Okocha. He is one of the greatest talent to come out of Naija but it took him a good ten years until he got to Bolton to learn to play properly within a team structure.

true Dat! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oga Gadfly, how madam and pikin?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Just take a look at Monsier Okocha. He is one of the greatest talent to come out of Naija but it took him a good ten years until he got to Bolton to learn to play properly within a team structure.

true Dat! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Una neva disband UBA?
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg
Re: On Nigeria and Football Talent!

Post by Toxicarrow »

YUJAM wrote:
This large group of foreign professionals clearly shows that Nigeria is the chief exporter of talent to other countries. One would be hard pressed to show any other African country that exports as much talent. In fact, one can say with a certain degree of confidence that all of, say, North Africa combined does not export as much talent.
Out of every 10 players that made it out of Nigeria every year, how many turns out to be "stars" at the end of the day?
Enyimba lost almost half of its squad during their first or second African Champions League campaign.
Are you sure about the above assessment? I am not sure if that happened in 2003....but i stand to be corrected on that sha...
Players continue to leave the shores of Nigeria at a very fast rate relative to the rest of Africa for countries like Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco, S Africa, Malta, England, Italy, France, Sweden, Germany, Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Saudi Arabia, China etc etc. Show me one African country that can match this rate, and I have the London Bridge to sell you.
Yes, they continue to leave the shores of Nigeria at a very fast rate...but what's the success rate? And where are they playing now? How many of them do have teams? The same way they are leaving is the same way they are returning.....Check Rangers, Sharks and others for the lists of returning players. Prominent include Sani Abacha (who is back with Kwara United), Obikeluw "shagari" from Altanta 96 Olympic team (played for rangers last year), Edith Agoye (who played for Sooting last year) and others.
Despite this alarming rate of player drift, locally, new talent continues to flow like oil that is produced out of one of those seemingly bottomless oil wells in the Delta. Now, I know that skeptics like our beloved Enugu II would once again throw a wrench in this line of argument by asking for evidence.
AGREED !
My evidence is based on the fact that despite this drift of players, Nigerian clubs still continue to do very well in African competitions. Enyimba lost almost half its squad in one ACL campaign, yet were able to draft new players who helped the team win the coveted championship.
Are you sure about Enyimba losing almost half its squad during the 2003 Champions Cup campaign? I doubt it ! And just for the record, between 1996 (when Sooting last played in the Champions Cup final) and 2002, no Nigeria clubside plays in the continental cup last two stage (final). It was 2003 that we saw two teams in the finals of continental championships. Hence, it took about 6- 7 years before the country could have teams in the continental cup finals.
This, despite the fact that they competed against teams from countries that have a large number of their best players still playing at home. The same thing applies to Julius Berger who only lost narrowly to Etoile Sahel in the final.
Anyone who follows Nigerian league would tell you that Julius Berger remains one of the few country that had its core players together for at least two years or three years. For your information, at least 4-5 players of the starting 11 of Julius Berger last year have been with the team for 2-4 years. Examples include Seyi Ojegabse, the team's captain (name escape my memory now). Such a situation is rare in the league these days.....Players move every season.
Last edited by Toxicarrow on Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

YUJAM,

It is poverty (economic hardship) that is making Nigeria to export a lot of players. When the going was good, players don't leave Nigeria. However, with the economic downturn, everyone is fleeing Nigeria. Not only players, Doctors, Engineers, Journalists etc! Have you heard of brain drain?

Playing the devils advocate now, maybe the reason why players are not leaving other countries in droves for back water leagues is because their economy is much better than Nigeria's own. Just check the poverty ladder and see where Nigeria stands then you will understand my point.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: On Nigeria and Football Talent!

Post by YUJAM »

Toxicarrow wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
Out of every 10 players that made it out of Nigeria every year, how many turns out to be "stars" at the end of the day?
The question is not whether they become stars. We are talking about numbers here. But one can point to the likes of Obodo, Martins, Eliakwu, Utaka, etc etc. Also, relative to the rest of Africa, I don't think you have much of a point here.
Enyimba lost almost half of its squad during their first or second African Champions League campaign.
Are you sure about the above assessment? I am not sure if that happened in 2003....but i stand to be corrected on that sha...
Enyimba lost a considerable amount of stars that campaign. In fact, this is was one of the key factors why they did not win.
Yes, they continue to leave the hsores of Nigeria at a very fast rate...but what's success rate? And where are they playing?
Once again, the success rate does not matter so much. We are talking about raw numbers here. The success rate is quite impressive though.
AGREED !
Are you sure about Enyimba losing almost half its squad during the 2003 Champions Cup campaign? I doubt it ! And just for the record, between 1996 (when Sooting last played in the Champions Cup final) and 2002, no Nigeria clubside plays in the continental cup last two stage (final). It was 2003 that we saw two teams in the finals of continental championships. Hence, it took about 6- 7 teams before the country could have a team in the continental cup finals.
Maybe you have a point here but during this period, there were untold admin problems with the sides as well as a lot of player drift. Are you sure the stat you posted? I seem to recall differently.
This, despite the fact that they competed against teams from countries that have a large number of their best players still playing at home. The same thing applies to Julius Berger who only lost narrowly to Etoile Sahel in the final.
Anyone who follows Nigerian league would tell you that Julius Berger remains one of the few country that had its core players together for at least two years or three years. For your information, at least 4-5 players of the starting 11 of Julius Berger last year have been with the team for 3-4 years. Examples include Seyi Ojegabse, the team's captain (name escape my memory now)
Julius Berger lost players like Obiakor and others, yet they were still able to compete.
Jinn
Egg
Egg

Post by Jinn »

I can state with confidence that Abacha is solely responsible for our not winning the ANC for @ least 4 times...we missed in '96 and were banned in '98...the fact that we were able 2 get 2 the final in 2000 is a testament 2 the monopoly we would've had between 94 and 2000...blame it all on that fool...i know he's dead...but some dead ppl deserve no respect (e.g Hitler).

& as it is...so long as we continue 2 use football as a political tool...and our government continues 2 use it as a PR tool...our football will not develop.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Exporting is one thing, but is it more of a case of quantity rather than quality. ie only 5 Nigerians out of a whopping 200 (as suggested above) have played in the CL proper this year
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm sure Enugu II can't argue his own case but I just wanted to say that he didn't dispute talent available in Nigeria. He disputed Yujam's assertion that because Nigeria has a population of 120M it should have a big talent pool. Two different things.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

You are wrong.
Put patriotism aside, and travel widely across the continent.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Madam and bomboy dei well well. Bomboy dei take afta Madam wich dei vex me plenty, afta all na for Super Eagles I dei born am!! :evil: :evil: :D :D :D :D
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Gadfly wrote:Madam and bomboy dei well well. Bomboy dei take afta Madam wich dei vex me plenty, afta all na for Super Eagles I dei born am!! :evil: :evil: :D :D :D :D
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Haba now, Oga Gadfly...It is too early to determine....In the meantime, start buying the boy some soccer balls and soccer-oriented computer games. :lol:
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
omo naija
Egg
Egg

Post by omo naija »

U know nothinin about players been xported, in India we've got not less than 1000 african players at least 80% are Naijans with almost 70% clubless.......so judge for urself....for my me i think nah poverty really make crayfish bend becos does wey even get club dey collect average of 1000 rupees par match dats like $20, though some dey get d dough like d big playas.......now justify

Namaste Baiyas

"Who kill dele? nah baba, If you put gida, nah you sabi."- Fela Anikulapo Kuti
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

OmoNaija:
What other African country can afford to export 1000 players to India? Soccer as we know it, would completely die out in tha country. 8)
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

YUJAM wrote:OmoNaija:
What other African country can afford to export 1000 players to India? Soccer as we know it, would completely die out in tha country. 8)
:D :D :D :D
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

YUJAM wrote:OmoNaija:
I agree with you on the quality and quantity of talent in Nigeria..but I strongly disagree that Indian league soccer is of better quality that Nigerian league.. I am sure that Enyimba should take care of the best India has to offer.. I always tend to take Indian soccer with a grain of salt..
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Indian league compared 2 d naija league, dat pretty sucks u know!!
Its like comparing Australian cricket-league to Naija cricket-league.
Peter Obi For President 2023