How to play Kamikazee footy my take!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

niyi
Egg
Egg
Re: How to play Kamikazee footy my take!

Post by niyi »

Oloye,

What are your views on Siasia's substitutions? The defenders he brought into the game made the defense worse. Seems like he didn't give them any instructions and he simply said: "Madu, Udo, una be defender, make una go defend."
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I agree with you Oloye that Mikel needs to play a deeper role in midfield to provide cover for the defense, but my fear is Siasia could stubbornly refuse to play Mikel deeper. With the personnel at his disposal, I'm not sure how Siasia can fix the defense. Ekong at times looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and most times will choose to boot the ball out rather than play it out from the back. Sincere is a natural RB that looks like he is trying to adjust to playing with a partner in the central defense. Shehu though he played well is prone to giving the ball away in dangerous areas, and Amuzie can be undisciplined at times.

Playing Mikel deeper can help stabilize the midfield, provide cover for the back 4, and provide an assuring outlet for the defenders to give the ball to when they recover it. Siasia may consider changing the CD pairing. Not sure if Saturday or Obanor are better options than what we have. Maybe Sincere and Ekong will gel more as the tournament progresses. Siasia does have his work cut out for him to solve the problems at the back.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

oloye wrote:
amafolas wrote:
Striker wrote:Oloye, that was an excellent write up. Can someone ask SSS to have Mikel play DM as he does for his club. He is now one of the best at this position and Nigeria should capitalized on this.
Mikel never had the lungs to play any position that requires he moves a lot. He didn't in his younger years and he certainly doesnt now that he is older and bigger. Also, the attacking skills he had are long gone. Time to be a sit-down DM only
One thing i can predict, is the matches that Mikel will not finish. Once he starts moving around a lot, i know he wont finish the game. I knew he would not finish the game yesterday because he was running more than usual, and i knew the end was near when he was tackled by the goaline of the Japanese and he sat down took a few seconds to get up. I saw that familiar face and knew it was only a matter of time. That said yesterday was one of those times i really saw him move around a lot, he was challenging as opposed to the normal Mikel in GWG who simply allows his player to go past him. He put in a lot of graft yesterday so i can understand why he was spent and i have no problem with that. He never had the lungs, the DM role allows him to manage his time effectively well on the pitch.
Agree completely. I think he takes his role as a mentor to this team seriously. In the first half, he really did put the effort in. I saw that and knew he wouldn't finish the game. At the end of the day, you can't give what you don't have. God blessed Mikel with a lot (football intelligence, skills, opportunities), but stamina was not one of them. In fact, I think that's why Mourinho turned him into a DM. Same reason Wenger turned Kolo Toure into a CD.

Which kain man raised on the hills of Jos has the stamina of a 400lb NFL offensive line man. haba!!
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

oloye wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Oloye,

Great write-up. I agree that Stanley Amuzie was shambolic. By the way, he caused the penalty 1st goal, in fact he just kicked the japanese striker together with the ball and when the ref gave the penalty kick, the look on his face deserved a slap. What defender lashes out at a striker in box 18? This boy for me has a very low football IQ and will not even sniff the surroundings of legends such as Ben Iroha, Cele Babayaro and even the limited Ifeanyi Udeze. Amuzie goes forward and stays there while the hole he leaves without cover is vast with opposition attackers and dangerous possibilities.

Question for you? You know how we see european teams move together as a unit back and forth almost in an equidistant fashion, can a Nigerian coach teach this? My perfect example is in Euro 2016 when Italy routinely switched to a compact defensive unit and used the system to completely shut Belgium out. When Italy attacked, they were as disjointedly creative as possible but retreating, all spaces are closed off. For me, this is the only reason why I feel a home-based coach may not take us to the heights that we require. Do you think a HB coach is capable of such coaching?
You mentioned something the Italians have perfected as an act and culture ....footballing culture. When it comes to defending the Brits make it look like a labourers work, the Germans make it look like an industrial work, the Spaniards make it look like a taboo, the French lazy as usual prefer to look elsewhere..but the Italians they made an art of it. You watch them defend and you want to be a defender. Yes it can be taught but there will always be a distinction between acquired ability and inherent ability. Two things the Italian football were known for over the years, their fine art of defending and their sweeping counter attack. They may have lost the counter attacking ability, but the fine art of defending is second nature to Italians.

There is one secret though that you cannot ignore even as we admire the Italian defensive network, most of their teams over the years have defensive patnership that is carried over from the club level. They are a unit that have spent time together both at the national team level and the club level. Whatever you are teaching our players , this remains an important point we must never ignore.

Take for example the defensive wall of Baresi, Costacuta, Maldini, Zambrotta all have something in common, Milan. Then came Juventus crew we all fell in love in the last euro..this is one tradition upon which the Italian team thrives.
This is what i don't understand about Amuzie, he was brought up in the Italian football youth system i.e. the primavera, where he won many laurels. i have seen him play better than he did last night and for someone with his football education, his decision making leaves a lot to be desired.
I am happy
Edu
Egg
Egg

Post by Edu »

YUJAM wrote:Fantastic write up

Mikel was an embarrassment
This is not necessary.
Edu
Egg
Egg

Post by Edu »

Great write-up. I agree that Stanley Amuzie was shambolic. By the way, he caused the penalty 1st goal, in fact he just kicked the japanese striker together with the ball and when the ref gave the penalty kick, the look on his face deserved a slap. What defender lashes out at a striker in box 18? This boy for me has a very low football IQ and will not even sniff the surroundings of legends such as Ben Iroha, Cele Babayaro and even the limited Ifeanyi Udeze. Amuzie goes forward and stays there while the hole he leaves without cover is vast with opposition attackers and dangerous possibilities.

Question for you? You know how we see european teams move together as a unit back and forth almost in an equidistant fashion, can a Nigerian coach teach this? My perfect example is in Euro 2016 when Italy routinely switched to a compact defensive unit and used the system to completely shut Belgium out. When Italy attacked, they were as disjointedly creative as possible but retreating, all spaces are closed off. For me, this is the only reason why I feel a home-based coach may not take us to the heights that we require. Do you think a HB coach is capable of such coaching?

Just unnecessarily negative toward a young man that is playing on this level for only the third time.. Imoh was playing on the right side anf provided cover for Shehu, can anyone tell me who played on the left mid or left wing and provided cover for Amuzie.. He recovered from the early tanglr of legs penalty and still managed to contribute. He can be better defencively and he will.
You simply dont have enough data to proclaim a young player good enough to accend to national level as low IQ.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

oloye wrote:There is one secret though that you cannot ignore even as we admire the Italian defensive network, most of their teams over the years have defensive patnership that is carried over from the club level. They are a unit that have spent time together both at the national team level and the club level. Whatever you are teaching our players , this remains an important point we must never ignore.
THIS HERE.

And this is where Nigeria will have catching up to do as our defenders play for different clubs across different countries and even continents. However, I think it's possible to teach highly organised team defence throughout the national teams.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Good question. We attacked mainly from the right flank with both Imoh and Shehu. I didn't notice any of our forwards playing ahead of Amuzie on the left flank, and he certainly had no support when we were under pressure. Not sure if Etebo was meant to play on the left, but he appeared to always make his runs through the center and was very effective there. Sadiq went out wide a little, but never went close to the touchline.
Edu wrote:

Just unnecessarily negative toward a young man that is playing on this level for only the third time.. Imoh was playing on the right side anf provided cover for Shehu, can anyone tell me who played on the left mid or left wing and provided cover for Amuzie.. He recovered from the early tanglr of legs penalty and still managed to contribute. He can be better defencively and he will.
You simply dont have enough data to proclaim a young player good enough to accend to national level as low IQ.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

DEAN OLOYE, great write-up (as usual)!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Gotti wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

DEAN OLOYE, great write-up (as usual)!
+1
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

olu wrote:I agree with you Oloye that Mikel needs to play a deeper role in midfield to provide cover for the defense, but my fear is Siasia could stubbornly refuse to play Mikel deeper. With the personnel at his disposal, I'm not sure how Siasia can fix the defense. Ekong at times looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and most times will choose to boot the ball out rather than play it out from the back. Sincere is a natural RB that looks like he is trying to adjust to playing with a partner in the central defense. Shehu though he played well is prone to giving the ball away in dangerous areas, and Amuzie can be undisciplined at times.

Playing Mikel deeper can help stabilize the midfield, provide cover for the back 4, and provide an assuring outlet for the defenders to give the ball to when they recover it. Siasia may consider changing the CD pairing. Not sure if Saturday or Obanor are better options than what we have. Maybe Sincere and Ekong will gel more as the tournament progresses. Siasia does have his work cut out for him to solve the problems at the back.
I pretty much reach the same conclusions and made same recommendation on the game thread...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=273353&start=667
Gotti wrote:We basically have 2 players in "unnatural" positions in that back-four - RB Sincere at CD and DM Shehu at RB. It would seem that this is where Mikel's experience would be crucial if he is fielded in a deeper role of shielding the back-four. Here's hoping the defensive unit gels better as the tournament progresses. Still well done to the lads today - it was a herculean effort especially in those conditions.
Btw, Obanor did not make the team (apart from his recent apparent regression on the field, it appears he was finally cut loose after reportedly absconding to go chase contracts abroad - and personally cannot really say that I would blame him for that, particularly given the experiences of these lads on national assignments). Our cupboard at CD is so bare that (following Segun Oduduwa's long-term injury as well as Kenneth Omeruo's and Oboabona's unavailability), Mikel Agu, the DM who is with Porto (but currently out on loan) stated that he was played at CD (a position that he had never played professionally) for at least 80% of the time that he spent at U23 team camp. Meanwhile, for some reason we apparently elected not to even grant consideration to his Porto team-mate (and regular starter) CD Chiedozie. Hopefully, the defensive unit will grow as the tournament progresses to achieve the sort of synergy wherein the whole functions much better than the sum of the parts, but the fact that Sincere (whom as far as I am aware has never before played at CD) was preferred yesterday ahead of Saturday does not necessarily inspire much confidence in our defensive depth.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Oloye beautiful write up, great synopsis.. :clap:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

oloye wrote:The other highlight of the game and the team for me, was Umar Sadiq, my first reaction was ..oh no not another Uchebo pretending to be a Kanu, well Sadiq was not another Uchebo, he had more hustle and more presence than Uchebo. He has tall and was not toppling over like the twin towers hit by planes flown by Alqueda. Naturally tall strikers are prone to this, they tend to be clumsy, except for few like Drogba, Kanu and Yekini. Sadiq has the tool set, he needs to improve on his decision especially when he comes under pressure. He knows how to pressure defenders , but when put under pressure himself his passes go astray. He did well against a Japanese opponent, but I will like to see him against a more disciplined and physically stronger defender. He looks intelligent and appears he has the ability to play and not just lumber around on the pitch. He is surely one to keep an eye on.
Sadly Sadiq's dad died while he was at the Atlanta camp...
Along with our nation's condolences, I hope it serves as a source of inspiration for him.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Gotti wrote:
oloye wrote:The other highlight of the game and the team for me, was Umar Sadiq, my first reaction was ..oh no not another Uchebo pretending to be a Kanu, well Sadiq was not another Uchebo, he had more hustle and more presence than Uchebo. He has tall and was not toppling over like the twin towers hit by planes flown by Alqueda. Naturally tall strikers are prone to this, they tend to be clumsy, except for few like Drogba, Kanu and Yekini. Sadiq has the tool set, he needs to improve on his decision especially when he comes under pressure. He knows how to pressure defenders , but when put under pressure himself his passes go astray. He did well against a Japanese opponent, but I will like to see him against a more disciplined and physically stronger defender. He looks intelligent and appears he has the ability to play and not just lumber around on the pitch. He is surely one to keep an eye on.
Sadly Sadiq's dad died while he was at the Atlanta camp...
Along with our nation's condolences, I hope it serves as a source of inspiration for him.
Ah that is so sad his Dad did notlive long enough to at lest watch his sons debute may his soul rest in prefect peace.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Oloye! You've done it again!
Great write up! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Oloye and Goldleaf, you both know your football and thanks for your very discerning perspectives
on the Olympic team. We should not allow this victory cloud our senses on how this team is currently
structured.
I always appreciate 'team discipline' which can be easily noted when watching the Germans
and Italians. Football, like military formations in combat is more about team or unit discipline.
Anyone thinking this is irrelevant should not be surprised when things fall apart like we saw in
WC France 98 against Denmark. A fighting unit cannot be successful if troop members decide to
commence shooting on a whim. So too should football team players not be able to play as individuals.
Like Oloye mentioned, you don't see an Italian defender merely joining the attack just because he feels
like it. Every movement or decision defenders make needs to have a purpose, with the team idea central
to such.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Oloye, you did great. Excellent analysis.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Sober and reflective, without glossing over the chutzpah of the win.

I shudder to think what you can do after helpings of isi-ewu and asun :taunt: .
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

maceo4 wrote:Were we that good going forward or was the Japan defense just as shambolic as ours? Some of our goals were pretty comical, with defender heading right to our forward, their goalie coming out and instead of picking the ball up passing it straight to Etebo. I don't think we should read too much into either teams offensive prowess from this game. The defense does need drastic improvement.
We took our chances,even the most organised defences slip up and if you fail to take advantage you'll most likely lose,we where no way ready for this match but still won after conceeding four goals,no organised Football association puts their players through what Nigeria's players went through and if they did the players would had surely been dispirited!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Kneedeep wrote:Sober and reflective, without glossing over the chutzpah of the win.

I shudder to think what you can do after helpings of isi-ewu and asun :taunt: .
We can have a go to find out...i prefer isi-ewu! :D
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho