Nigeria vs Croatia would decide the group

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs Croatia would decide the group

Post by ohsee »

Waffiman wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:So playing for top clubs is now a metric for a world cup winning team? of course Croatia is a bloody good team but Nigeria is more than capable of doing the number over them... Iceland could well be the dark horse in that group!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Maybe things have changed in your generation, meaning like yesterday, but my understanding is that it is optimal to have at least two top class, if not world class, players in every position if you wish to win a world cup. To make your case, please name a world cup winning team that did not have players playing for top clubs in nearly all starting positions. Germany? Spain? Italy? Brazil? France?

Please let history be your guide. It is not an infallible guide, yes, but it is much, much better than wishful thinking.
They are top players who happen to play at these clubs cos of the money they pay. Nothing else.

Your club does not pick you in the NT, your talent does. You can be talented and play for a smaller club.
Chief, when a country with players primarily playing at small clubs or the second division wins the World cup, I will accept your thesis. When coaches select players playing in the second division over players at Real and Juve, I will accept your thesis. Until then, I will follow the conventional wisdom that world class players in every position will help you win the world cup. And world class players tend to play at the very best teams.

Of course there are exceptions. But my position stands.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Bosnia didn’t had much better quality teams than Nigeria in 2014. It was 50/50 also, that match was very tough for us. Now, you make a good argument on quality teams giving African players chances. However, that’s still arguable. Btw, which of our current players will start week in and out for Juventus, Real Madrid, barcelona heck even Inter Milan is even a great team??
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

john12 wrote:Bosnia didn’t had much better quality teams than Nigeria in 2014. It was 50/50 also, that match was very tough for us. Now, you make a good argument on quality teams giving African players chances. However, that’s still arguable. Btw, which of our current players will start week in and out for Juventus, Real Madrid, barcelona heck even Inter Milan is even a great team??
If u don’t know just say u don’t instead of posting rabbish.
OCCUPY NFF!!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
ohsee wrote:Nigeria is surely the England of West Africa. If we had Modric, Kovacic, Manzukic and Rakitic, we would have, Englander-like, declared ourselves the next World Cup winners even before June 2018. It is indeed good to be optimistic and positive, but history does not bear the optimists out. Yes, on the day, we have a slim chance of beating Croatia, just like Senegal beat the World Champions France in 2002, but it is a hope, not something you would gamble your life savings on. :idea:

In 2014, Bosnia had players plying their trade in higher profile clubs but we had a far better team. This was also the case in 1994 with Bulgaria.

Bear in mind the odds stacked against African players are higher than those their European counterparts face. Age cheating, the development of bad habits, a lack of early exposure, etc, all conspire against them.

I have watched Ivan Rakitić a lot this season and I do not see in what way he is better than Wilfred Ndidi for instance. Please tell me if I am missing something here.
Chief, one-off examples from the past do not guarantee a victory, or even make a victory likely in this case. On paper, the Croatians are better, and if you were a betting man, and you bet with your head rather than your heart, you should bet on Croatia. But of course, we are Nigerians.....

You are Ayo, so I expect outrageous statements from you, but this one takes the cake. Ndidi is better than Rakatic? What is wrong with those damn scouts at Real and Barca? Why are the stupidos not as insightful as Ayo? Why are they not beating down Ndidi's door? Damn racists.

Let me be clear that I am not saying we cannot beat Croatia. Of course we can on the day. But when we look at the probabilities on paper, we should not act as if Croatia is already beaten. Let us not be England, prone to overestimating their abilities.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

ohsee, i no like to wahala you, because you be my oga, but for the last worldcup wey get England , ITaly , Uruguay and COsta rica, nah who win that group and nah who been get the best players? :D
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Bigpokey24 wrote:ohsee, i no like to wahala you, because you be my oga, but for the last worldcup wey get England , ITaly , Uruguay and COsta rica, nah who win that group and nah who been get the best players? :D
Chief, you be my guy, and I dey enjoy your yabs so I no dey wahala with you. But I don already talk say anything can happen on the green grass, especially in the group stage. It is not inconceivable that we can defeat Croatia on the day, even defeat them soundly. But make we no dey talk like say na done deal, that's all.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

No one is saying that Nigeria cannot beat Croatia. We’re saying that Croatia has the better players and should be expected to win by neutrals and they shouldn’t be underestimated. You have to have faith in your team but must be respectfu
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

ohsee wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:ohsee, i no like to wahala you, because you be my oga, but for the last worldcup wey get England , ITaly , Uruguay and COsta rica, nah who win that group and nah who been get the best players? :D
Chief, you be my guy, and I dey enjoy your yabs so I no dey wahala with you. But I don already talk say anything can happen on the green grass, especially in the group stage. It is not inconceivable that we can defeat Croatia on the day, even defeat them soundly. But make we no dey talk like say na done deal, that's all.
i am with you , but we shouldn't go there like say we be newbie for worldcup, this nah our 6th worldcup, and according to fifa we the the worst ranked worldcup team..As long as Mikel dey field we are safe

[/video]
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]

We have pace and pace and pace ....

how can you not love this kind of football? green white green any day any time
SuperEagles

Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

john12 wrote:This is a game that would decide the group. Croatia obviously has better players than us as their best players are
Modric - Real Madrid
Kovacic- Real Madrid
Rakitic - Barcelona
Pjaca- juventus
Manzukic - juventus
Perisic- inter milan

Compare their best 6 to ours

Victor Moses - chelsea
Alex Iwobi - arsenal
Mikel Obi - china
Ndidi - leicester
Iheanacho - leicester
Onazi - turkey

Croatia obviously has better players than us. Infact, their quality of players are good enough to win the entire World Cup (they won’t tho) that’s why I have been preaching about players mentioned at this website. If you want to aspire to win the World Cup you need your players at the highest level you cannot have your best players at backwater leagues then aspire to perform immensely at the World Cup. We’re rightfully the underdogs at this match and can probably win this game. However, the disrespect I’m seeing here towards Croatia is unacceptable.
john12, WITH ALL RESPECT...

...I think you are putting too much weight on factors that aren't great predictors of success. You've listed some of Croatia's best players vis-à-vis the SE's. Maybe now you can do one between England and Iceland during the last European tournament. You might as well dig those between the SE and Spain in WC1998. Senegal vs France in 2002? Remember how the US with nobodies shocked the world in the Confederations Cup in S. Africa? No, I think you are being simplistic in your analysis. Neutrals will of course pick Croatia if for no reason that they have a kneejerk propensity to pick against the African team but as they say in other lands, "that's why they play the game."
Bell
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
ohsee wrote:
i am with you , but we shouldn't go there like say we be newbie for worldcup, this nah our 6th worldcup, and according to fifa we the the worst ranked worldcup team..As long as Mikel dey field we are safe
Chief, true talk. We are definitely not a newbie, and this is the best team we have had in a very long while. I agree, Mikel is a very able captain, and with his steady hand at the tiller, the young un's will go out and confidently do their jobs. Let's hope for the best outcome.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

With all due respects to everyone who seems to think that just because a team has an aged World Class midfield or has a pedigree of players in Real Madrid or Barcelona, that they are good. I truly appreciate your comments.

Nigeria has won more than 60% of it's games against European teams at the World Cup. Facts that were achieved with more talented albeit weaker Nigerian teams in terms of organization.

Without being arrogant or cocky, we deserve a little respect. We have top players, great team spirit, excellent off field organization and a deep and unpredictable squad. We are winning the group and that is that. The only question is who will join us.

Feel free to call me delusional.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

ohsee wrote:Nigeria is surely the England of West Africa. If we had Modric, Kovacic, Manzukic and Rakitic, we would have, Englander-like, declared ourselves the next World Cup winners even before June 2018. It is indeed good to be optimistic and positive, but history does not bear the optimists out. Yes, on the day, we have a slim chance of beating Croatia, just like Senegal beat the World Champions France in 2002, but it is a hope, not something you would gamble your life savings on. :idea:
Spot on.

But, the Group stage as you know only too well can be a graveyard for favourites. Remember Spain in 1998.

For me, this is a very interesting group with all teams having a realistic chance of qualification.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

I guess the views and opinions of the coach and players are what really matter here. Even Rohr has put the Argentina win in the correct context and will not underrate any opponent.

It is not only the draw that favours us but the real luck is the order of the games. Playing Argentina first would have put both teams under pressure and could end up being a cagey affair. Playing Iceland first could be a potential banana skill. Croatia is not a walkover but if we beat them it will give us a lot of confidence. But the time we play Argentina, if things go in our favour, It might be a must win game for them. Than would put all the pressure on them...
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

ohsee wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:So playing for top clubs is now a metric for a world cup winning team? of course Croatia is a bloody good team but Nigeria is more than capable of doing the number over them... Iceland could well be the dark horse in that group!
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Maybe things have changed in your generation, meaning like yesterday, but my understanding is that it is optimal to have at least two top class, if not world class, players in every position if you wish to win a world cup. To make your case, please name a world cup winning team that did not have players playing for top clubs in nearly all starting positions. Germany? Spain? Italy? Brazil? France?

Please let history be your guide. It is not an infallible guide, yes, but it is much, much better than wishful thinking.
They are top players who happen to play at these clubs cos of the money they pay. Nothing else.

Your club does not pick you in the NT, your talent does. You can be talented and play for a smaller club.
Chief, when a country with players primarily playing at small clubs or the second division wins the World cup, I will accept your thesis. When coaches select players playing in the second division over players at Real and Juve, I will accept your thesis. Until then, I will follow the conventional wisdom that world class players in every position will help you win the world cup. And world class players tend to play at the very best teams.

Of course there are exceptions. But my position stands.
My premis is not on winning but getting out of the group. It can be done with players playing in nothing leagues. We have shown in previous WCs that it can be done.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Forget about reputation, that group is wide argentina are not guaranteed to win the group, they will be shocked what iceland will do to them, i will not be surprised if iceland and nigeria gors through or iceland snd croatia sending nigeria and argentina back home
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

marutimon wrote:
john12 wrote:This is a game that would decide the group. Croatia obviously has better players than us as their best players are
Modric - Real Madrid
Kovacic- Real Madrid
Rakitic - Barcelona
Pjaca- juventus
Manzukic - juventus
Perisic- inter milan

Compare their best 6 to ours

Victor Moses - chelsea
Alex Iwobi - arsenal
Mikel Obi - china
Ndidi - leicester
Iheanacho - leicester
Onazi - turkey

Croatia obviously has better players than us. Infact, their quality of players are good enough to win the entire World Cup (they won’t tho) that’s why I have been preaching about players mentioned at this website. If you want to aspire to win the World Cup you need your players at the highest level you cannot have your best players at backwater leagues then aspire to perform immensely at the World Cup. We’re rightfully the underdogs at this match and can probably win this game. However, the disrespect I’m seeing here towards Croatia is unacceptable.
Now do a similar list for Iceland vs Croatia and tell me which team came out on top in that matychup.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Don't under estimate Iceland.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

nzeogwu wrote:With all due respects to everyone who seems to think that just because a team has an aged World Class midfield or has a pedigree of players in Real Madrid or Barcelona, that they are good. I truly appreciate your comments.

Nigeria has won more than 60% of it's games against European teams at the World Cup. Facts that were achieved with more talented albeit weaker Nigerian teams in terms of organization.

Without being arrogant or cocky, we deserve a little respect. We have top players, great team spirit, excellent off field organization and a deep and unpredictable squad. We are winning the group and that is that. The only question is who will join us.

Feel free to call me delusional.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
YOU CAN BE SURE THE ARGIES, ICELANDERS AND CROATIANS ARE DOING JUST THAT.
The only ones saying "we cant do this, we cant do that" are Nigerians.

TV pundits in the UK are giving us just as good a chance as Argentina and Croatia of making it out of the group.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Iceland finished AHEAD of Croatia in the WCQ.

With that said, I think Croats are trickier opponents for us.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Kai!! Nigeria has suffered! See disrespect!

If not of condition and the fact that he just started his career, do you think Ndidi for example will be playing at Leicester??

You want to play a midfield of Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic and all of them against Ndidi? Onazi? And those guys who can run for days? Breaking up play?

Let’s also see their defensive midfielder and defenders defend against Iwobi, Moses, Mikel, etc midfielder, do
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

platinum wrote:Iceland finished AHEAD of Croatia in the WCQ.

With that said, I think Croats are trickier opponents for us.
Why?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Be relieved to play Croatia. The Super Eagles have little to fear. You will soar far and high...leaving these plodding Eastern Europeans, so akin to Bulgaria, behind.

Relax. Enjoy the festival.

:)
Pax Americana...Wither Now?