Have Hope analysis of the deep issues with Naija squad.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oscar52
Egg
Egg
Re: Have Hope analysis of the deep issues with Naija squad.

Post by oscar52 »

King Futcha wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:to be honest, I don't see this team doing well in Russia. Nothing so far has impressed me... The team sucks.. Australia just waya Czech 4-0 .. so that result on wednesday aint going to matter much
you have been too negative lately... make bp great again.
Ghana girl is tripping :D .
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

He is absolutely right especially about the exclusion of Nwakali and Onyekuru. If Onyekuru had been training with the team all this time - he would have had the opportunity to play against England and the Czech Rep in the pre-WC friendlies. Onyekuru had began training and started playing with the reserves of his team over a month ago. If every country going into the WC has to wait till an injured player is back to perfect playing level, then most of these countries will be without critical players. It is better to peak during the tournament, and I believe Henry would have done exactly just that.

Some of the commentator's arguments appear disjointed, but I sense his passion and understand his frustrations – especially given that we were about 4 players shy of a quality squad in 2014. Here again in 2018, we are prosecuting a tournament by taking three subpar players – Akpeyi, Onazi and J.Obi. Watch what happens when we play in two weeks – there will be some heart-wrenching lapses in midfield and poor clearance in defense as we struggle to score, after which, I guarantee we will be asking ourselves: what did we have to lose by taking Enyeama, Nwakali and Onyekuru?

Let’s play devil’s advocate here: imagine bringing Nwakali on for Mikel Obi or Etebo in the 70th minute, Enyeama in for Uzoho (should the need arise, not to mention Enyeama showing him the ropes in camp), Onyekuru partnering with Ighalo or Simy upfront or coming in as a sub in the second half?

Whether we like to believe it or not, the omission of these 3 players can be the very difference between getting out of our group and/or making QF or even SF. If it appears that some folks here are disappointed with the final 23-man list or are suddenly not as optimistic about our chances; it is simply because these three spots were not the most difficult choices – just think about it for a minute. Hmmnn….
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

soccernut wrote:He is absolutely right especially about the exclusion of Nwakali and Onyekuru. If Onyekuru had been training with the team all this time - he would have had the opportunity to play against England and the Czech Rep in the pre-WC friendlies. Onyekuru had began training and started playing with the reserves of his team over a month ago. If every country going into the WC has to wait till an injured player is back to perfect playing level, then most of these countries will be without critical players. It is better to peak during the tournament, and I believe Henry would have done exactly just that.

Some of the commentator's arguments appear disjointed, but I sense his passion and understand his frustrations – especially given that we were about 4 players shy of a quality squad in 2014. Here again in 2018, we are prosecuting a tournament by taking three subpar players – Akpeyi, Onazi and J.Obi. Watch what happens when we play in two weeks – there will be some heart-wrenching lapses in midfield and poor clearance in defense as we struggle to score, after which, I guarantee we will be asking ourselves: what did we have to lose by taking Enyeama, Nwakali and Onyekuru?

Let’s play devil’s advocate here: imagine bringing Nwakali on for Mikel Obi or Etebo in the 70th minute, Enyeama in for Uzoho (should the need arise, not to mention Enyeama showing him the ropes in camp), Onyekuru partnering with Ighalo or Simy upfront or coming in as a sub in the second half?

Whether we like to believe it or not, the omission of these 3 players can be the very difference between getting out of our group and/or making QF or even SF. If it appears that some folks here are disappointed with the final 23-man list or are suddenly not as optimistic about our chances; it is simply because these three spots were not the most difficult choices – just think about it for a minute. Hmmnn….
I agree. I am still pissed at not inviting Onyekuru. Even when he was healthy Rohr never invited him. When we bow out quickly he will be sacked.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

How come some people in this forum the truth and facts are anathema to them The guy analysis are exactly my thoughts thus I can understand his vented frustrations , Apart from getting players from Obalande I think he is explicitly correct.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

oloye wrote:
Tbite wrote:I agree with some of his points.

When he said the whole point of the WC is to have particular styles of football.

I have raised that issue here many times.
The whole point of world cup or any competition is to compete and try to win. Style is secondary. Obalende style will never get us anywhere.....not when it did not get us past Morroco.
I said I agree with some of his points, not all.

I didn't say Obalende style. But I do have a rebuttal and evidence based on precedence, that grassroots football (i.e. football that is locally derived) is an important means of developing a resilient team!

If the grassroots or all that is local is considered inadequate, well whose fault is that?

Nigeria's best potential as a footballing nation will NOT be unlocked until we unleash our local potential. I do not disagree with you that we cannot win without the local, we can....but we will always be better in the longrun, when we develop a coherent system, beginning from the grassroots. Whatever we achieve, even if it is winning the WC, we will achieve 3 times more from the local!
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT