Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:04 pm Very nativist list. Ndah over Akpoguma ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg
Re: Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Adebayo Adeleke by a country mile is Nigeria's best goalkeeper today, it is a travesty he has been excluded again by Aloy Agu all because they know that the day he walks into camp, he becomes number 1. The selection is a pure joke, the likes of Musa, Ekong, Iwobi, will not be in my team they are third rate players.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Waiting to see the starting back four. I thought Balogun is out injured. So why did they leave out Akpoguma and Bassey? 😳
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

It too late in the day to make wholesale changes for a tournament kicking off in a few weeks time. Akpoguma and Ebuehi haven't featured in recent games, so their omission is understandable. Shehu Musa, while not a fan favourite is a coaches player (Like Garba Lawal). Igahlo was top scorer in the last ANC, Dressers for all he brings, hasn't cut his teeth on the African stage. He is still in for a shout during the WC play off.

Nwakali is the wildcard in this squad. This is sink or swim time. I feel Eguavoen may try Ejuke in the no10 position if Nwakali can't hack it. Fall back is Aribo.

There will always be Q's on who should or shouldn't be included in a 28 man squad. However, only 11 will cross the white line on match day and I doubt we will see much changes in personnel.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Abbey wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:09 pm Waiting to see the starting back four. I thought Balogun is out injured. So why did they leave out Akpoguma and Bassey? 😳

Zanusi..... Balogun...... Awaziem.......Ola Aina
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Mr Shows wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:17 pm
Abbey wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:09 pm Waiting to see the starting back four. I thought Balogun is out injured. So why did they leave out Akpoguma and Bassey? 😳
Isn’t Balogun injured? Even if he has recovered is he in game shape? After all Bassey had been subbing for him at Rangers during his recovery period, yet Bassey is not even selected.

Zanusi..... Balogun...... Awaziem.......Ola Aina
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Musa, Musa, Musa the man with 9 lives... Kai!!!
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Would have liked to see Ozornwafor, Kalu, Mohammed, and Victor Moses on the list but understand since no time before AFCON. I dont see this squad winning AFCON though because the creativity and deep bench just not there - they are too similar.
Last edited by oscar52 on Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Overall not a bad list under the circumstances. There are some players who may not be performing so well at club level but who can step up at big tournaments so let’s see
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Congratulations to the players that made the squad.

A few comments:

1. I'm not a fan of John Noble as I believe that we have better goalkeepers. One of Olorunleke Ojo(Enyimba) Adewale Adeyinka(Akwa Utd) or Adebayo Adeleye(Hapoel Katamon Jerusalem) would have been a better choice. However Noble was on the original provisional list and is still well thought of by the goalkeeper coach Alloy Agu and that was always going to give him the edge.

2. Olisa Ndah has been brilliant at Orlando Pirates and his form was rewarded. I've been a big fan of his since watching him play for the U23s as well as the Home-based national team.

3. All the same I am bummed for Kevin Akpoguma who I believe has been seriously undervalued. Eguavoen has probably viewed him as a defender who gives him cover at CB/RB which he already has in Chidozie Awaziem. That probably did him in and opened the door for Ndah.

4. Speaking of undervalued, Shehu Abdullahi is consistently undervalued in these parts because folks continue to underrate the importance of his versatility. When building squad depth coaches need players like Shehu that give you cover at multiple positions and that's what's keeping him relevant in the team.

5. Having said that, I'd have gone for Tyrone Ebuehi in this spot because he's simply a superior player. But I understand the rational for keeping Shehu.

6. I'm glad to see Kelechi Nwakali in the squad. His fortunes at Huesca have changed with the arrival of coach Xisco Munoz from Watford. I was hoping that the new staff would look at one or both of Kelechi Nwakali and Raphael Onyedika; and Nwakali has gotten the nod.

7. Eguavoen has had the good sense to drop Innocent Bonke. Thank goodness for that!

8. No Ovie Ejaria or Ademola Lookman. I'm not surprised about Ejaria given that he's been out of the Reading lineup this month. As for Lookman I didn't really see a way into the squad for him at this time - particularly with Ahmed Musa (rightly or wrongly) still in the picture.

9. Speaking of Musa he makes it into the squad ahead of Lookman and Samuel Kalu. But there's no surprise here. If Kalu was in form it would have been interesting to see how Eguavoen would have resolved that. But he isn't and Egu doesn't have the loyalty to him that Gernot Rohr did.

10. Apart from adding Nwakali in midfield, the other key additions are in the attack with Emmanuel Dennis and Sadiq Umar making the final roster. I've been a big believer in both players for some time and folks are finally seeing it with Dennis shinning at Watford and Sadiq having a couple of super productive seasons at both Partizan Belgrade and Almeria. The addition of these two players seriously upgrades our options in the frontline.

11. I have mixed feelings about the return of Ighalo. I certainly think that he's still good enough to positively impact the Super Eagles and I understood Rohr's rational for bringing him back vis-a-vis his experience, professionalism and competitive spirit. However, when you look at the history of Nigerian football and bringing back retired players, these things rarely work and more often than not tend to blow up in our faces. All the same I have tremendous respect for Ighalo and I wish him all the best. Hopefully he'll come through for us when it counts as the coaches envision.

12. I believe that this is virtually the same squad we'd have paraded to the Nations Cup with Gernot Rohr bar two or three players. The two sure fire changes that Egu made are Olisa Ndah over Kevin Akpoguma, and Kelechi Nwakali over Innocent Bonke. Of the two changes I like the latter but in siddon look mode over the wisdom of the former. I also think that Rohr would have kept Samuel Kalu - meaning that one of Sadiq Umar or Taiwo Awoniyi (more likely Sadiq) wouldn't have made the squad. Just something to think about.

13. Good squad overall.

Again congratulations to the players that made the squad. Now go and make us proud!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

oscar52 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:50 pm Would have liked to see Ozornwafor, Kalu, Mohammed, and Victor Moses on the list but understand since no time before AFCON. I dont see this squad winning AFCON though because they creativity and deep bench just not there - they are too similar.
Aside from maybe Victor Moses( who might have made up his mind about his retirement decision), have you watched any of those other players you listed play lately for their clubs?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

mystic wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:01 pm Congratulations to the players that made the squad.

A few comments:

1. I'm not a fan of John Noble as I believe that we have better goalkeepers. One of Olorunleke Ojo(Enyimba) Adewale Adeyinka(Akwa Utd) or Adebayo Adeleye(Hapoel Katamon Jerusalem) would have been a better choice. However Noble was on the original provisional list and is still well thought of by the goalkeeper coach Alloy Agu and that was always going to give him the edge.

2. Olisa Ndah has been brilliant at Orlando Pirates and his form was rewarded. I've been a big fan of his since watching him play for the U23s as well as the Home-based national team.

3. All the same I am bummed for Kevin Akpoguma who I believe has been seriously undervalued. Eguavoen has probably viewed him as a defender who gives him cover at CB/RB which he already has in Chidozie Awaziem. That probably did him in and opened the door for Ndah.

4. Speaking of undervalued, Shehu Abdullahi is consistently undervalued in these parts because folks continue to underrate the importance of his versatility. When building squad depth coaches need players like Shehu that give you cover at multiple positions and that's what's keeping him relevant in the team.

5. Having said that, I'd have gone for Tyrone Ebuehi in this spot because he's simply a superior player. But I understand the rational for keeping Shehu.

6. I'm glad to see Kelechi Nwakali in the squad. His fortunes at Huesca have changed with the arrival of coach Xisco Munoz from Watford. I was hoping that the new staff would look at one or both of Kelechi Nwakali and Raphael Onyedika; and Nwakali has gotten the nod.

7. Eguavoen has had the good sense to drop Innocent Bonke. Thank goodness for that!

8. No Ovie Ejaria or Ademola Lookman. I'm not surprised about Ejaria given that he's been out of the Reading lineup this month. As for Lookman I didn't really see a way into the squad for him at this time - particularly with Ahmed Musa (rightly or wrongly) still in the picture.

9. Speaking of Musa he makes it into the squad ahead of Lookman and Samuel Kalu. But there's no surprise here. If Kalu was in form it would have been interesting to see how Eguavoen would have resolved that. But he isn't and Egu doesn't have the loyalty to him that Gernot Rohr did.

10. Apart from adding Nwakali in midfield, the other key additions are in the attack with Emmanuel Dennis and Sadiq Umar making the final roster. I've been a big believer in both players for some time and folks are finally seeing it with Dennis shinning at Watford and Sadiq having a couple of super productive seasons at both Partizan Belgrade and Almeria. The addition of these two players seriously upgrades our options in the frontline.

11. I have mixed feelings about the return of Ighalo. I certainly think that he's still good enough to positively impact the Super Eagles and I understood Rohr's rational for bringing him back vis-a-vis his experience, professionalism and competitive spirit. However, when you look at the history of Nigerian football and bringing back retired players, these things rarely work and more often than not tend to blow up in our faces. All the same I have tremendous respect for Ighalo and I wish him all the best. Hopefully he'll come through for us when it counts as the coaches envision.

12. I believe that this is virtually the same squad we'd have paraded to the Nations Cup with Gernot Rohr bar two or three players. The two sure fire changes that Egu made are Olisa Ndah over Kevin Akpoguma, and Kelechi Nwakali over Innocent Bonke. Of the two changes I like the latter but in siddon look mode over the wisdom of the former. I also think that Rohr would have kept Samuel Kalu - meaning that one of Sadiq Umar or Taiwo Awoniyi (more likely Sadiq) wouldn't have made the squad. Just something to think about.

13. Good squad overall.

Again congratulations to the players that made the squad. Now go and make us proud!
I like Samuel Kalu but his form at Bordeaux lately has been poor, dude just comes off the bench to see few minutes of play, he needs a move.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Synopsis wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:04 pm
In my observation, Ebuehi is better in defense than Ekong and Musa Abdullahi. I have watched these individuals and I wonder why Ekong is ever made to start at all. His absent-minded tendencies, his one route football tactics, and inability to thread the ball to the midfield or attack are too grievous to overlook.

Ebuehi must be brought into this squad.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:06 pm Adebayo Adeleke by a country mile is Nigeria's best goalkeeper today, it is a travesty he has been excluded again by Aloy Agu all because they know that the day he walks into camp, he becomes number 1. The selection is a pure joke, the likes of Musa, Ekong, Iwobi, will not be in my team they are third rate players.

He is certainly deserves an opportunity. But he's not our best goalkeeper. I think his time will come very soon. It's doubtful that Eguavoen would have had the license to make too many changes to the list that Rohr had already submitted. Thus trying to change the fourth string goalkeeper would not have been a priority.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Tobi17 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:06 pm
oscar52 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:50 pm Would have liked to see Ozornwafor, Kalu, Mohammed, and Victor Moses on the list but understand since no time before AFCON. I dont see this squad winning AFCON though because they creativity and deep bench just not there - they are too similar.
Aside from maybe Victor Moses( who might have made up his mind about his retirement decision), have you watched any of those other players you listed play lately for their clubs?
Na waa o! Ozornwafor whose first taste of action this season was coming off the bench to stretch his legs at the end of the game for Charleroi in their last match.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I have to say I'm very disappointed with this list.

SO WHEN I TOLD YOU ALL THESE SHADY DECISIONS HAD NOTHING TO SO WITH ROHR WHAT DID YOU ALL SAY.

That I am "defending a foreign coach"

I told everyone it was the NFF and now you have seen it with your own eyes.

So was it Rohr who insists on Musa and Shehu ?

Was it Rohr who has a problem with Ebuehi and Akpoguma ?

Was it Rohr who insisted on Ighalo ?

I think we can all safely say it's the NFF running things and just because Rohr claimed nobody was forcing his selections we can all see with our eyes that was a load of crap.

The only positives are Dennis and Umar.

Ndah over Akpoguma or Bassey is a joke.

Ighalo and Musa are there to do what ?

What happened to Ejaria ? Is he considered injured?

Have lookman and Ejaria not yet been approved ?

I can see that Eguoavoen to his credit moved to add an extra midfielder in Nwakali. Would have preferred Yusuf or Ejaria.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Lolly wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:42 pm Different coach same madness. Too many goalkeepers, too many defenders, too many forwards but very few central midfielders. Who swear for us?
Kpom.

Shehu, Musa, and Ighalo had NOTHING to do with Rohr like I suspected.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Mystic,

Given this squad list, one has to speculate about a subplot. I think you capture some of this in your #12.

I have read your analysis and I agree but one has to add the following:

1. It is clear that Eguavoen wants to put his stamp on this AFCON. Obviously, he wants to make clear that if he wins this AFCON that it MUST be credited to him and not to his predecessor. He has now made that clear with his tweaking of this squad, which is pretty obvious. The next step is how this team will be deployed and how it plays.

2. The non-listing of some players definitely is to define the above intent. Thus, the absence of Ebuehi, Akpoguma, and the like are not mere coincidence but likely intended to send a message. That may also be the caser with the absence of Lookman and Ejaria in spite of expectations created if Rohr had remained in the saddle. THis may also explain the omission (is it really?) of Basssey on the list.

3. Better believe that the inclusion of Ndah and Nwakali is part of that message. Both were unlikerly to be on the list drawn up by Rohr.

4. I believe that if the NPFL had been in gear for a while, Egu possibly would have called up more than the few now listed. The call up of Ndah from South Africa is a stretch to satisfy midway the yelling for NPFL (or atleast non-Euro based talent).

5. There will definitely be changes in the regular personnel deployed on the field. Make no mistake about that. The likes of Ejuke, Dennis, and Awazirem are more likely to become regulars. That is now more likely. There may be one or two such changes in the regular lineup that starts the game. Bet on it. The stamp of Eguavoen will be unmistakable.

6. I suspect that Egu will wish to try a 2-striker formation but he needs preparatory games for that. Rohr was reticent attempting that and in a recent game where he did, it failed to yield dividend. However, I feel Egu will wish to do that using a more creative midfield to assist going forward but not at the risk of not protecting the back line. Expect this but there needs to be one or two preparatory games to help.

mystic wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:01 pm Congratulations to the players that made the squad.

A few comments:

13. Good squad overall.

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:26 pm I have to say I'm very disappointed with this list.

SO WHEN I TOLD YOU ALL THESE SHADY DECISIONS HAD NOTHING TO SO WITH ROHR WHAT DID YOU ALL SAY.

That I am "defending a foreign coach"

I told everyone it was the NFF and now you have seen it with your own eyes.

So was it Rohr who insists on Musa and Shehu ?

Was it Rohr who has a problem with Ebuehi and Akpoguma ?

Was it Rohr who insisted on Ighalo ?

I think we can all safely say it's the NFF running things and just because Rohr claimed nobody was forcing his selections we can all see with our eyes that was a load of crap.

The only positives are Dennis and Umar.

Ndah over Akpoguma or Bassey is a joke.

Ighalo and Musa are there to do what ?

What happened to Ejaria ? Is he considered injured?

Have lookman and Ejaria not yet been approved ?

I can see that Eguoavoen to his credit moved to add an extra midfielder in Nwakali. Would have preferred Yusuf or Ejaria.
Please try and find out who took Ndah to Belgium on trials which he failed before landing in South Africa and you would know why he was taken to AFCON in place of Akpoguma. The corruption has started!!
I am happy
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Etebo is missing
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Purity wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:35 pm Augustine Eguavoen has named Nigeria’s 28-man squad for 2021 AFCON tournament which kick off in Cameroon next month.

Victor Osimhen is in the squad.

Akpeyi & Ndah who plays in South Africa makes the cut.

Details later.
'Akpeyi' is out? Wow, unku 1Naija no go like dis.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Purity wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:53 pm Augustine Eguavoen will lead Nigeria to the AFCON in Cameroon.
I am NOT surprised on this one. I think that's the only way to go. Egu might even lead the team to Qatar if we qualify
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

The squad is not balanced. Over loaded in certain areas and thin in other areas.

4 GKs for what exactly? 3 is more than enough.

Only one true RB. I’m assuming Awaziem and Shehu are the backups but there’s a true RB in Ebuehi who’s good enough to start for the team.

Akpoguma has actually been playing better for his club. Ndah came from where exactly? Who’s radar was he on?

Who’s the DM back up? Ndidi gets suspended or injured who comes in? Shehu?

Awoniyi, Umar, Ighalo…..way too many Osimhen backups. We only needed one. Dennis can play there too.

Wide forwards….we drop Kalu and Henry. We r only going with Simon, Samu and Musa. This is very thin. Maybe he’s thinking Dennis wide but he’s not as effective there.

The squad is nothing to be excited about honestly. I have very tempered expectations.