Golden Eaglets v Burkina Faso. CAF under 17 quater finals

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Golden Eaglets v Burkina Faso. CAF under 17 quater finals

Post by Purity »

Here

Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

I agree with you on the highlighted.
Coaching IS one of the fundamental problems, especially with Nigerian youth football. Its been hit or miss.
I watched a Naija team (Alex Transfiguration) play in the 2022 Torneo di Viareggio and the level of tactical awareness they exhibited was astounding. They were coached by the Remo Stars youth coach, who was quite impressive in his level of the strategic and tactical elements of the game.
Unfortunately, someone like him would never be considered as a coach for the National teams, because he is an unknown and not a part of those on the list to be picked from. That is the problem with Nigeria - 'turn by turn' , even when its obvious that those on the wait list are beyond incompetent!.
There were very basic and fundamental things missing in this U17 team which was crystal clear to me from their first game and it wasn't a surprise that they struggled to make it. Just basic things, defending as a unit, understanding the flow of the game, positioning in attack and defense, etc. That were pretty obvious from the first game and was a common thread thru all their games.
The gulf between the Eaglets and their Senegalese counterparts was like night and day.
Damunk wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:45 am Abeg, let’s not result to this self-derogatory mantra of blaming “low intelligence”. Which low intelligence did you see?
I know you were asking a question but it’s just really sad that you’d even consider it.
Footballers the world over are not university graduates, so no need to denigrate our players just because they lost a game. It’s very lazy and, no offence, not a very intelligent comment.

I will watch the game in full (was only able to watch the first half), but those kids are not as bad as many of you guys are insisting. Go back to their other games and you’ll see how on this same forum people were hailing their skills and the team in general.
They are kids and are learning.
We have an abundance of talent but we don’t have a monopoly of it and in my opinion, we are not generating anywhere near sufficient talent in one key area: coaching.
That is where “intelligence” is far more relevant and my take is we are not attracting the right calibre of people to the profession.
We can analyse the reasons elsewhere.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Heart break for Golden Eaglets.
No FIFA world cup

Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Damunk wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:45 am
davidbam14 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:25 am
Tobi17 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:50 pm
davidbam14 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:47 pm We need to ask the question "why other nations seem to be getting better tactically" and it appears it's not just the u17's, the u20, u23 and also Super falcons?
Which makes me think this isn't just as simple as a coaching problem, there are deeper problems affecting our football...nepotism, tribalism and lack of nationalism are the easier factors I can consider right now.
I agree, I was also thinking is it possible that most of our players are not adaptable, once told what to do they go out and do it and if the situation changes they are not sure what to do next. Unable to adjust they then result to hoofing the ball forward to the strikers continually hoping for something to happen, we are intelligent people but is it possible that the ones who go into football are just about street ball and no intelligence, talented but no vision, athletic and strong but no understanding of why tactics is key.
Abeg, let’s not result to this self-derogatory mantra of blaming “low intelligence”. Which low intelligence did you see?
I know you were asking a question but it’s just really sad that you’d even consider it.
Footballers the world over are not university graduates, so no need to denigrate our players just because they lost a game. It’s very lazy and, no offence, not a very intelligent comment.

I will watch the game in full (was only able to watch the first half), but those kids are not as bad as many of you guys are insisting. Go back to their other games and you’ll see how on this same forum people were hailing their skills and the team in general.
They are kids and are learning.
We have an abundance of talent but we don’t have a monopoly of it and in my opinion, we are not generating anywhere near sufficient talent in one key area: coaching.
That is where “intelligence” is far more relevant and my take is we are not attracting the right calibre of people to the profession.
We can analyse the reasons elsewhere.
If we say intelligence is being able to do the right thing most of the time, then would you say one player trying to dribble 3 opponents(na me score am mentality) when a simple pass and move would have been the best thing to do, or on numerous occasions 2 players going for the same ball leaving space and then the opponents having a head start in the vacated space, or numerous times players shooting from almost the half way line

Maybe you’re right we shouldn’t blame it on “Low intelligence” but then I looked up the dictionary explanation for intelligence and this is what it says “the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills” now we acquire knowledge and skill over time and these are kids but what about the kids from Morocco who understood we can’t go toe-to-toe with Nigeria so we play to our strengths simple passes and the discipline of not leaving too much space when defending.

I Guess you’re right that coaching is a major issue while the Morocco manager was able to nullify our strengths after watching Nigeria play Zambia and would have presented the plan to his players they then when out and executed, that I guess is applying knowledge to your skill set. I remember speaking to the guy who score the 2nd goal against ghana in Japan 93 (Anosike), he said at his first team meeting at Gent they where talking about Positioning and why and he was like wow, that was the first time he was hearing about it.

Someone on the forum said Nigeria can’t win all the time, we don’t have a monopoly on the game and while that is true, we are 5x FIFA u17 world champions we should have learnt a lot by now.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

davidbam14 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:34 pm
If we say intelligence is being able to do the right thing most of the time, then would you say one player trying to dribble 3 opponents(na me score am mentality) when a simple pass and move would have been the best thing to do, or on numerous occasions 2 players going for the same ball leaving space and then the opponents having a head start in the vacated space, or numerous times players shooting from almost the half way line

Maybe you’re right we shouldn’t blame it on “Low intelligence” but then I looked up the dictionary explanation for intelligence and this is what it says “the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills” now we acquire knowledge and skill over time and these are kids but what about the kids from Morocco who understood we can’t go toe-to-toe with Nigeria so we play to our strengths simple passes and the discipline of not leaving too much space when defending.
You can acquire knowledge only if it is imparted to you. 'GIGO' - garbage in, garbage out. Kids' brains are like sponges - they absorb whatever you feed them.
Not that I agree 100% with txj 100% of the time, but he does consistently argue that the education of footballers should start at a very young age.
Unfortunately, that same brain will absorb any 'miseducation' too.
I Guess you’re right that coaching is a major issue while the Morocco manager was able to nullify our strengths after watching Nigeria play Zambia and would have presented the plan to his players they then when out and executed, that I guess is applying knowledge to your skill set. I remember speaking to the guy who score the 2nd goal against ghana in Japan 93 (Anosike), he said at his first team meeting at Gent they where talking about Positioning and why and he was like wow, that was the first time he was hearing about it.
This says it all. :thumb:
We are in total denial of the poor quality of our coaching personnel in Nigeria. In our displaced sense of patriotism we keep pushing for locals who just do not have the exposure and training.
When we were arguing back and forth about who was going to take over from Rohr, we were down to the bare bones -Amuneke, Finidi and Eguavoen, none of whom really have CVs that are anything to write home about apart from their green kpalis. They wouldn't even enter a shortlist of 20 if they were foreigners.
Our players say it in hushed tones all the time. Their eyes open just like you said, when they leave their local clubs for Europe. But it is an unspeakable truth that our so-called patriotic Nigerian 'fans' just don't want to hear.
We'd rather allude to some faceless, nameless, clubless coach that is hiding under 2nd Niger Bridge waiting to be called up to perform wonders. :rotf:
Someone on the forum said Nigeria can’t win all the time, we don’t have a monopoly on the game and while that is true, we are 5x FIFA u17 world champions we should have learnt a lot by now.
True.
But we have to acknowledge that other countries are not sleeping.
If they don't open their mouths to speak, you cannot tell the difference between any other African youth's face, foot, body shape or brain and a Naija one. So we are not special, just more in number and that guarantees nothing in football.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Damunk wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:02 pm
davidbam14 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:34 pm

You can acquire knowledge only if it is imparted to you. 'GIGO' - garbage in, garbage out. Kids' brains are like sponges - they absorb whatever you feed them.
Not that I agree 100% with txj 100% of the time, but he does consistently argue that the education of footballers should start at a very young age.
Unfortunately, that same brain will absorb any 'miseducation' too.
This says it all. :thumb:
We are in total denial of the poor quality of our coaching personnel in Nigeria. In our displaced sense of patriotism we keep pushing for locals who just do not have the exposure and training.
When we were arguing back and forth about who was going to take over from Rohr, we were down to the bare bones -Amuneke, Finidi and Eguavoen, none of whom really have CVs that are anything to write home about apart from their green kpalis. They wouldn't even enter a shortlist of 20 if they were foreigners.
Our players say it in hushed tones all the time. Their eyes open just like you said, when they leave their local clubs for Europe. But it is an unspeakable truth that our so-called patriotic Nigerian 'fans' just don't want to hear.
We'd rather allude to some faceless, nameless, clubless coach that is hiding under 2nd Niger Bridge waiting to be called up to perform wonders. :rotf:
True.
But we have to acknowledge that other countries are not sleeping.
If they don't open their mouths to speak, you cannot tell the difference between any other African youth's face, foot, body shape or brain and a Naija one. So we are not special, just more in number and that guarantees nothing in football.
I agree your points make sense but sometimes it comes across as if a lot of naija footballers see it as a way out of poverty and not a profession that needs mastering, so the attitude is one of get a contract abroad and hope you remain in it to make enough even if it’s sitting on the bench.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

davidbam14 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:41 pm I agree your points make sense but sometimes it comes across as if a lot of naija footballers see it as a way out of poverty and not a profession that needs mastering, so the attitude is one of get a contract abroad and hope you remain in it to make enough even if it’s sitting on the bench.
I agree with you.
We’ve all heard the heartbreaking stories of how many of our top players had to fight against all odds to escape perverty - Osimhen, Awoniyi, Ighalo…. but again, it is not exclusive to us Nigerians. It’s an African story, and probably to a large extent a South American story.

As for striving for mastery, it’s a good question. I wouldn’t like to downplay the achievements and efforts of our players, but sometimes you do wonder whether they get too comfortable where they are, and coming from extreme hardship, they have already achieved more than their wildest childhood dreams.
Not too many of our footballers continue to rise and rise up to their 30s.
It just seems they peak around 25, 26.

Also remember it’s a national trait. We tend not to want to be true masters with our MILT (Manage It Like That) mindset. You see it everywhere and in everything in our national life.
Those that strive for perfection are often seen as foolish and ridiculed.
Just a thought.
davidbam14
Egg
Egg

Post by davidbam14 »

Damunk wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:06 pm
davidbam14 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:41 pm I agree your points make sense but sometimes it comes across as if a lot of naija footballers see it as a way out of poverty and not a profession that needs mastering, so the attitude is one of get a contract abroad and hope you remain in it to make enough even if it’s sitting on the bench.
I agree with you.
We’ve all heard the heartbreaking stories of how many of our top players had to fight against all odds to escape perverty - Osimhen, Awoniyi, Ighalo…. but again, it is not exclusive to us Nigerians. It’s an African story, and probably to a large extent a South American story.

As for striving for mastery, it’s a good question. I wouldn’t like to downplay the achievements and efforts of our players, but sometimes you do wonder whether they get too comfortable where they are, and coming from extreme hardship, they have already achieved more than their wildest childhood dreams.

Also remember it’s a national trait. We tend not to want to be true masters with our MILT (Manage It Like That) mindset. You see it everywhere and in everything in our national life.
Just a thought.
I agree with you.

Just a thought.
:thumb: Lets hope it doesn't apply to Oshimen
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

davidbam14 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:25 pm
I agree with you.

Just a thought.
I agree with you.

Just a thought.
:thumb: Lets hope it doesn't apply to Oshimen
Ol Boi, Osimhen is something else.
He wants to reach the very top. You can tell.
If only we had 11 national players like him!!.,
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

When I warn una, una no hear!

Truthfully, luck was against our boys. We should have won that match at least 4-2!

Cmoke

Cmoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:13 am burkina boys are tough
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Senegal edge out Burkina Faso on penalties of CAF under 17 Afcon

Highlights:
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

FIFA U17 World Cup-winning coach identifies what went wrong for Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets in Algeria

The five-time world champions failed to reach the last four in Algeria after suffering two defeats in four games

Former Golden Eaglets coach, Manu Garba, has attributed Nigeria’s failure to secure a ticket to this year’s FIFA U17 World Cup to overconfidence, Soccernet.ng reports.

Garba dismissed suggestions of wholesale promotion of the current team to the Flying Eagles and instead highlighted the need to address tactical and finishing issues that affected their performance.

Under the guidance of Garba’s former assistant, Nduka Ugbade, the Golden Eaglets suffered a 2-1 defeat to Burkina Faso in the quarterfinals of the U17 AFCON in Algeria, resulting in their failure to qualify for the World Cup.

Garba emphasized that the team’s overconfidence hindered their ability to display calmness and composure in front of goal, leading to anxiety and missed opportunities.

While acknowledging the team’s physical fitness and technical abilities, Garba expressed concerns about their tactical shortcomings, particularly the struggles faced by the two center-backs in dealing with ground balls.

After observing their gameplay, he urged his colleagues to work on the team’s finishing to improve their performance.

Garba highlighted the team’s high number of chances created, even in the matches they lost against Morocco and Burkina Faso.

However, the players’ over-anxiousness and possible distractions from agents seemed to have negatively impacted their decision-making on the field, resulting in shots taken from far away from the goal.

What was said?

“The key factor was that they were over confident to beat Burkina Faso and as a result calmness and composure in front of goal was not there, there was anxiety to score, this was a major problem,” assessed Manu, who led Nigeria to win the U17 World Cup in 2007 and 2013 said.

“The team were physically fit, technically good, but tactically the team had some problems.

“I was not comfortable with the two centre-backs because they struggled with balls on the ground.

“I told my colleagues to work on the team’s finishing after I watched them play.
“We created the most chances even in the matches we lost against Morocco but they were over anxious.

“We can’t also rule out distractions from agents, so some of these boys played for themselves, they were shooting far away from goal.”

The former coach expressed immense disappointment at Nigeria’s failure to secure qualification for the U17 World Cup.

Considering Nigeria’s historic dominance in this age category, Garba had expected the team to at least secure a spot in the tournament.

As the team reflects on their performance, it becomes crucial for the coaching staff and players to address the issues of overconfidence, tactical deficiencies, and finishing.

These areas require focused attention to ensure that the Nigerian U17 team can reclaim their dominant position and excel in future competitions.

https://soccernet.ng/2023/05/world-cup- ... geria.html
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

It's mere sentiments thinking the coaching is not to blame for the loss.
Yes they are kids, but where is the coaching complement to their talent?
That's what is clearly missing.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Very impressed with Burkina Faso .

The future is bright for Burkina Faso's football
Watch extended Highlights of CAF under 17 bronze medal match

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Purity wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:36 pm Very impressed with Burkina Faso .

The future is bright for Burkina Faso's football
Watch extended Highlights of CAF under 17 bronze medal match
It’s not today…
B’Faso has the same number of U17 AFCON titles as Nigeria.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL