Frank Rijkaard, sad fall from the top

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Frank Rijkaard, sad fall from the top

Post by theYemster »

Prince wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Prince wrote:
theYemster wrote:Don't know his circumstances so not speaking for him but if I have achieved all that he has both as a player and coach, I'd probably be doing exactly what he is doing right now.
Typical ibadan man, what about opening the door for others......the likes of Kluivert are trying to get into the game, typical response i see is that he has made his money.

Open doors for other black coaches
lol. How does what he is doing negatively affect the opportunities of other minorities?

While I have no issue with anyone who prefers doing something else, the reasoning behind many peoples criticism of Rijkaard's choice is something I find disturbing. I don't consider a life of service to teaching and developing kids a bad thing or a fall from grace. I've always had a personal dream and ambition to develop a foundation to help the less fortunate, orphans, sick kids and talent discovery and nurturing be it educationally or athletically. If and when I achieve what Rijkaard has professionally and am as financially comfortable, I will likely pursue that personal ambition. There is a lot of joy and satisfaction from helping the less fortunate. And I am not just talking about giving a handout but actually helping them develop and achieve their full potential in life.

So by your standards Bill Gates is what...closing doors for others as well?

It may not be for you or everyone but don't knock others for doing it.
Rich kids who really have no need for it as they can afford to get a grade 3 coach to train their kids, is disturbing. try submitting your cv for the post against Rijkaard even Amodu will struggle
So your reasoning is that he is over qualified and as such depriving a less qualified applicant than he (but suitable for the position) the opportunity?

If so then that's a silly argument to make. It's not his fault that he is over qualified and wishes to take a less demanding position. As long as he meets the criteria then he has a right to apply and be offered the job. If he isn't qualified but got it as a result of his fame then you have a case.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Isn't Rijkaard an advisor there rather than a coach?
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

kalani JR wrote:Isn't Rijkaard an advisor there rather than a coach?
Not sure if this is an excuse or is his real perspective at this time.
In this interview, he says he quit coaching

http://www.football-oranje.com/frank-ri ... al-career/
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

theYemster wrote:
Prince wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Prince wrote:
theYemster wrote:Don't know his circumstances so not speaking for him but if I have achieved all that he has both as a player and coach, I'd probably be doing exactly what he is doing right now.
Typical ibadan man, what about opening the door for others......the likes of Kluivert are trying to get into the game, typical response i see is that he has made his money.

lol. How does what he is doing negatively affect the opportunities of other minorities?

While I have no issue with anyone who prefers doing something else, the reasoning behind many peoples criticism of Rijkaard's choice is something I find disturbing. I don't consider a life of service to teaching and developing kids a bad thing or a fall from grace. I've always had a personal dream and ambition to develop a foundation to help the less fortunate, orphans, sick kids and talent discovery and nurturing be it educationally or athletically. If and when I achieve what Rijkaard has professionally and am as financially comfortable, I will likely pursue that personal ambition. There is a lot of joy and satisfaction from helping the less fortunate. And I am not just talking about giving a handout but actually helping them develop and achieve their full potential in life.

Rich kids who really have no need for it as they can afford to get a grade 3 coach to train their kids, is disturbing. try submitting your cv for the post against Rijkaard even Amodu will struggle
So your reasoning is that he is over qualified and as such depriving a less qualified applicant than he (but suitable for the position) the opportunity?

If so then that's a silly argument to make. It's not his fault that he is over qualified and wishes to take a less demanding position. As long as he meets the criteria then he has a right to apply and be offered the job. If he isn't qualified but got it as a result of his fame then you have a case.
Princess is one of the most confused CE members ever. In fact, he comes second after Camex :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They will make jagbajantis cases and argue forever :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Prince wrote:
theYemster wrote:
Prince wrote:

Princess is one of the most confused CE members ever. In fact, he comes second after Camex :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They will make jagbajantis cases and argue forever :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prince na my padi but after mentioning he went to mayflower ... then I understood any issues about him :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Aniks no mind Chief O, na the type person your namesake dey call Zombie, Zombie no go think unless you tell am to think......tell rijkaard we have a Prep school in naija, he can come and teach Jonathan kids how to play football as well.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

Franklin Edmundo Rijkaard, in his own words.

http://mvasports.com/2013/08/08/frank-r ... e-academy/
Frank Rijkaard Joins New Soccer Institute at Montverde Academy
August 8th, 2013

MONTVERDE, Fla. (August 8, 2013) – Montverde Academy officially announces that former F.C. Barcelona and Dutch National Team Manager, Frank Rijkaard, has been appointed official ambassador and advisor of player development for The Soccer Institute at Montverde Academy (S.I.M.A.). A legendary player for AFC Ajax and A.C. Milan, Rijkaard brings a wealth of knowledge and international experience as both a player and manager to participants enrolled at Montverde Academy.

“To have someone like Frank Rijkaard directly involved in our operations at the institute speaks volumes about his commitment to player development,” says institute director and 2013 NFHS Coach of the Year, Mike Potempa. “Without question, his guidance will be invaluable to our development as an institute.”

S.I.M.A. will open in August 2013 and will serve as one of the most unique soccer specific training experiences in the world. Through an appropriate combination of academic excellence, elite level training, world-class facilities and direct involvement from Rijkaard, S.I.M.A. will provide a professional training environment for talented youth interested in playing at the highest level while simultaneously pursuing their education.

I am pleased and honored to be joining the Montverde Academy family and excited to begin my new role as official ambassador and advisor of player development for the MVA Soccer Institute,” said Rijkaard. “After visiting the campus in July, I feel as though The Soccer Institute at Montverde Academy will offer a superior life experience for talented youth, and I believe in the model they have developed, placing a focus on world class education in the classroom and on the field of competition. The future is bright at Montverde Academy.”

With on campus living arrangements and a player development model similar to some of the biggest clubs in Europe, S.I.M.A. will require exemplary academic performance, in addition to a commitment from families to its comprehensive year round program. Institute participants will not play high school soccer teams, as matches will be arranged against club teams, national teams, in addition to colleges and universities throughout the U.S. in a 12-month training program. Travel abroad will also be a major component to the developmental model in an effort to compete against some of the best youth teams in the world.

About Montverde Academy
Montverde Academy is an international, coeducational, independent college preparatory school for grades PK3-12, with a boarding program serving grades 7-12, and post-graduate studies. Its mission is to inspire students to become knowledgeable leaders with global vision that instils a passion for learning and nurtures character development in a disciplined and diverse community. Five generations of Montverde Academy graduates have been guided by three fundamental principles of Knowledge, Character and Community with its international character adding an exciting dimension to the community and the overall educational experience. For further information about the Soccer Institute at Montverde Academy, please contact Mike Potempa, at [email protected] or visit www.mvasports.com/soccerinstitute.

Teams: Boys Varsity Soccer

Staff: Michael Potempa / Alex Prostko
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.
The earth is not our home.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7711/opaks.gif
http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/bsflag.gif
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.

Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

More....

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soc ... y_aid29152
Frank Rijkaard joins Montverde Academy
Article Written by Will Parchman
Published: August 12, 2013

In June, Frank Rijkaard made international waves when he turned down the lucrative, high-profile job as Paris Saint Germain boss. Turns out he had a distinctly more American project in mind.

Orlando-area boys' soccer power Montverde Academy announced late last week that Rijkaard will take up a prominent position at The Soccer Institute at Montverde Academy, a new cyclical developmental project opening later this month. The former Barcelona head man will be the fledgling academy's official ambassador and advisor for player development for a program that will run parallel to the school's already established high school program.

The idea is to draw ever more talented players to Central Florida in an effort to mimic a more more European development model.

"We're trying to bring the Barcelona model of development here to produce the highest level players we can," Montverde head coach Mike Potempa told TopDrawerSoccer.com "It's just another level program we're starting that isn't necessarily high school soccer. It's different, but it's another level to what we've already been doing, that we'll hopefully produce some kids that are an even higher level than we are now."

That's a lofty mark to set considering the club's outsize expectations. Since Potempa took over at Montverde in 2010, the boys' soccer team is 74-0-6, which is the nation's longest unbeaten streak. Last season, the high school program went 25-0-1 and breezed to a national title. The boarding school draws students from more than 50 countries, which inevitably filters down to a soccer program that has a uniquely multicultural feel.

That level of talent stoked Rijkaard's curiosity in developing American soccer at a youth level. Rijkaard is perhaps most famous for his 2005-2006 campaign at the helm of Barcelona, guiding the club to an impressive treble: the Spanish Super Cup, the La Liga title and the UEFA Champions League crown. He's been out of soccer since being sacked by the Saudi Arabian National Team in January when the country failed to progress past the group stage of the Gulf Cup of Nations.

The academy will pull high-school age players and require that they uphold an academic standard in the classroom, but it won't compete at the high school level. Instead, they'll primarily face club, national and college teams to up the ante on competition. Each training program will last 12 months.

Players will live on campus, and Potempa says trips to club setups Ajax and Barcelona are already on the books. as options.

"It's not just (Rijkaard) putting his name to it," Potempa said. "He's actually going to be coming to the campus and working with players and instructing them on tactics and things they're going to need to know to play at the next level. Whether it's college or professional."

Montverde sealed the deal when Rijkaard visited the campus in July. He was so impressed that he agreed to the partnership then and there.

“I am pleased and honored to be joining the Montverde Academy family and excited to begin my new role as official ambassador and advisor of player development for the MVA Soccer Institute,” Rijkaard said in a release. “After visiting the campus in July, I feel as though The Soccer Institute at Montverde Academy will offer a superior life experience for talented youth, and I believe in the model they have developed, placing a focus on world class education in the classroom and on the field of competition. The future is bright at Montverde Academy.
Take it easy folks - do not jump to conclusions too quickly.

Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Nxa

no wonder he lost the dressing room at Barca. This is yet another time he makes crucial decision under influence of the herb :taunt: :rotf: :rotf:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:Nxa

no wonder he lost the dressing room at Barca. This is yet another time he makes crucial decision under influence of the herb :taunt: :rotf: :rotf:
Kpom
I want to take a look at all the coaches that have won the CL and what they are doing now
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Prince wrote:

Kpom
I want to take a look at all the coaches that have won the CL and what they are doing now

Prince our people here will tell you Rijkaard is the one with the best conscience to follow his "true" calling :roll: I would wager that of the coaches that have won the CL in the past 15 years majority are still working if they can offfers and that.

Maybe he is living up to yhe stereotype we are easily satisfied :ohmy:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Prince wrote:Aniks no mind Chief O, na the type person your namesake dey call Zombie, Zombie no go think unless you tell am to think......tell rijkaard we have a Prep school in naija, he can come and teach Jonathan kids how to play football as well.

Says Jegede Sokoya :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Catalyst wrote:More....

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soc ... y_aid29152
Frank Rijkaard joins Montverde Academy
Article Written by Will Parchman
Published: August 12, 2013

In June, Frank Rijkaard made international waves when he turned down the lucrative, high-profile job as Paris Saint Germain boss. Turns out he had a distinctly more American project in mind.

Orlando-area boys' soccer power Montverde Academy announced late last week that Rijkaard will take up a prominent position at The Soccer Institute at Montverde Academy, a new cyclical developmental project opening later this month. The former Barcelona head man will be the fledgling academy's official ambassador and advisor for player development for a program that will run parallel to the school's already established high school program.

The idea is to draw ever more talented players to Central Florida in an effort to mimic a more more European development model.

"We're trying to bring the Barcelona model of development here to produce the highest level players we can," Montverde head coach Mike Potempa told TopDrawerSoccer.com "It's just another level program we're starting that isn't necessarily high school soccer. It's different, but it's another level to what we've already been doing, that we'll hopefully produce some kids that are an even higher level than we are now."

That's a lofty mark to set considering the club's outsize expectations. Since Potempa took over at Montverde in 2010, the boys' soccer team is 74-0-6, which is the nation's longest unbeaten streak. Last season, the high school program went 25-0-1 and breezed to a national title. The boarding school draws students from more than 50 countries, which inevitably filters down to a soccer program that has a uniquely multicultural feel.

That level of talent stoked Rijkaard's curiosity in developing American soccer at a youth level. Rijkaard is perhaps most famous for his 2005-2006 campaign at the helm of Barcelona, guiding the club to an impressive treble: the Spanish Super Cup, the La Liga title and the UEFA Champions League crown. He's been out of soccer since being sacked by the Saudi Arabian National Team in January when the country failed to progress past the group stage of the Gulf Cup of Nations.

The academy will pull high-school age players and require that they uphold an academic standard in the classroom, but it won't compete at the high school level. Instead, they'll primarily face club, national and college teams to up the ante on competition. Each training program will last 12 months.

Players will live on campus, and Potempa says trips to club setups Ajax and Barcelona are already on the books. as options.

"It's not just (Rijkaard) putting his name to it," Potempa said. "He's actually going to be coming to the campus and working with players and instructing them on tactics and things they're going to need to know to play at the next level. Whether it's college or professional."

Montverde sealed the deal when Rijkaard visited the campus in July. He was so impressed that he agreed to the partnership then and there.

“I am pleased and honored to be joining the Montverde Academy family and excited to begin my new role as official ambassador and advisor of player development for the MVA Soccer Institute,” Rijkaard said in a release. “After visiting the campus in July, I feel as though The Soccer Institute at Montverde Academy will offer a superior life experience for talented youth, and I believe in the model they have developed, placing a focus on world class education in the classroom and on the field of competition. The future is bright at Montverde Academy.
Take it easy folks - do not jump to conclusions too quickly.

It's racism, carry your story away...the only way a man of his calibre leaves and chooses to go farm cocoyam is because he was finally tired of decades of racism.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Frankly, I am shocked how many CEs are making insinuations that this is a poor choice. I can see why one may actually choose to do what Rijkaard is doing than coaching a top level team. First of all, he has made a lot of money. Second, he may have chosen to do a far less STRESSFUL job where there is satisfaction from seeing his products play at the very top level without the constant media inquisition, second guessing, politicking, abuse, and stress that come with coaching at the very top. I perfectly understand it, to be frank ( :lol: ). There comes a time when people choose personal peace and health over money and media attention.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Enugu II wrote:Frankly, I am shocked how many CEs are making insinuations that this is a poor choice. I can see why one may actually choose to do what Rijkaard is doing than coaching a top level team. First of all, he has made a lot of money. Second, he may have chosen to do a far less STRESSFUL job where there is satisfaction from seeing his products play at the very top level without the constant media inquisition, second guessing, politicking, abuse, and stress that come with coaching at the very top. I perfectly understand it, to be frank ( :lol: ). There comes a time when people choose personal peace and health over money and media attention.
Exactly. Plus the man gets to smoke as much morocco as he wants. Not everyone wants the life of stress and the ratrace, some people choose a different path, it's funny that those who would choose the ratrace in an instant cannot see that other paths are available.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:
Prince wrote:

Kpom

Prince our people here will tell you Rijkaard is the one with the best conscience to follow his "true" calling :roll: I would wager that of the coaches that have won the CL in the past 15 years majority are still working if they can offfers and that.

Maybe he is living up to yhe stereotype we are easily satisfied :ohmy:
On the other hand, maybe he is in breech of the other stereotype - that we only think of two things: ourselves and money. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:

Kpom

Maybe he is living up to the stereotype we are easily satisfied :ohmy:
On the other hand, maybe he is in breech of the other stereotype - that we only think of two things: ourselves and money. :idea:
Damunk, One thing is that most guys think the goal for everyone is to be a multimillionaire. Not factual. There are those who are motivated by leaving a legacy of achievement above just counting cash.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:I just read this great man is now doing the lowly role of player development at a Florida prep school. Now thats a sick joke for a man who has achieved what he did at Barcelona. Meanwhile people like Pulis go through the revolving door of EPL management

Rijkaard single hnadedly resurrected and made Barcelona fashionable again. Surely the the team cojldnhave created a role for him to save him this fate :cry: :cry:
He is officially retired from coaching. It is a personal choice he made.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:

Kpom

Maybe he is living up to the stereotype we are easily satisfied :ohmy:
Damunk, One thing is that most guys think the goal for everyone is to be a multimillionaire. Not factual. There are those who are motivated by leaving a legacy of achievement above just counting cash.
This is true. Far too many of us (Nigerians in particular) measure everything in monetary terms. Strangely, we think everyone else does too. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:Frankly, I am shocked how many CEs are making insinuations that this is a poor choice. I can see why one may actually choose to do what Rijkaard is doing than coaching a top level team. First of all, he has made a lot of money. Second, he may have chosen to do a far less STRESSFUL job where there is satisfaction from seeing his products play at the very top level without the constant media inquisition, second guessing, politicking, abuse, and stress that come with coaching at the very top. I perfectly understand it, to be frank ( :lol: ). There comes a time when people choose personal peace and health over money and media attention.

Frankly, I am as shocked as you are. Even after the facts and possible explanations, some folks still think it is a poor choice.

Anyway, Oga Enugu, like you, I got the academia bug from my papa. While Academic Biomedical Research in the USA is fulfilling for me, my ultimate goal would be teaching primary or secondary school kids in Nigeria.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Frankly, I am as shocked as you are. Even after the facts and possible explanations, some folks still think it is a poor choice.

Anyway, Oga Enugu, like you, I got the academia bug from my papa. While Academic Biomedical Research in the USA is fulfilling for me, my ultimate goal would be teaching primary or secondary school kids in Nigeria.
Chief,

My goal actually is to be at the forefront of sport research. Never thought it was possible to aspire in those terms until after tenure and promotion to the top of academic career. After that, I just said I am going to focus on researching what I love and not necessarily what my degree was on. That is what excites me now even though I had published well in areas like telecomm policy and intercultural comm.
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Abeg follow your heart desires when the time comes. :clap: :clap:
As per the Rijkaard talk, Folks take time out from their chosen profession all the time to chill out and get back in the game if they chose to do so. The man has accomplished a lot in the game as a player and coach so nothing wrong with taking a backseat at this point of his career.
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099