Zamfara Gov Ahmed Sani Given An Inch; Now Seeks A Foot

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Zamfara Gov Ahmed Sani Given An Inch; Now Seeks A Foot

Post by Bell »

Zamfara Gov. Orders Demolition of All Churches

P.M. News (Lagos)

April 29, 2004
Posted to the web April 29, 2004

Governor Ahmed Sani of Zamfara State, has ordered the demolition of all churches in the state, as he launched the second phase of his Sharia project yesterday.

Speaking at the launch in Gusau, the state capital, Governor Sani disclosed that time was ripe for full implementation of the programme as enshrined in the Holy Quran.

He added that his government would soon embark on demolition of all places of worship of unbelievers in the state, in line with Islamic injunction to fight them wherever they are found.

The governor also disclosed that a law to compel employers of labour in the state to give their employees "prayer breaks" five times daily would soon be enacted by the state House of Assembly.

The governor's stance on the demolition of all non-Islamic worship centres, however, runs contrary to the provisions of the country's constitution, which states in Chapter 4, Section 38(1) that "every person shall be entitled to freedom of thought, conscience and religion, including freedom to change his religion or belief and freedom (either alone or in community with others, and in public or in private) to manifest and propagate his religion or belief in worship, teaching, practice and observance.

Commenting on Governor Sani's decision, a lawyer and Chairman of Somolu Local Government, Barrister Ademorin Kuye, described the move as unconstitutional.

"The governor has no constitutional power to demolish churches in his state. The constitution guarantees the right of worship of every Nigerian. Nigeria is a secular state and a serving governor should not be seen as promoting one religion over the other ," Barrister Kuye declared.

He warned the Zamfara governor not to embark on destruction of churches, as it would have grave repercussion in other parts of the country.

It would be recalled that Governor Sani introduced the Sharia Legal Code in the state in the year 2000, despite opposition from the federal government and religious groups.

The implementation of the system led to the amputation of the wrist of a cow thief, Malam Jangedi.

Governor Sani also made the retention of a long beard a condition for securing juicy contracts from the state government.
Bell
ik15
Egg
Egg

Post by ik15 »

Kai!,.... Only in nigeria could morons like this smell the office of the governor. Long beared now a pre-requisite for securing "juicy" contracts?. Wetin happen to competence?. The imbecile also wants to demolish churches?... What a travesty. :evil:
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Zamfara Gov Ahmed Sani Given An Inch; Now Seeks A Foot

Post by YUJAM »

Bell:

The Zamfara governor does not seem to have a claim here. Even the Quran clearly acknowledges that other religious centers ought not to be disturbed and that ppl should be allowed to practice religions freely.

This is confirmed by the conduct of the first Caliph's who ruled over Jerusalem and Israel during Muslim rule there. For many years, none of the mosques or synagogues were destroyed there and Muslims coexisted peacefully with Christians and Jews there.
Bell wrote:Zamfara Gov. Orders Demolition of All Churches

P.M. News (Lagos)

April 29, 2004
Posted to the web April 29, 2004

Governor Ahmed Sani of Zamfara State, has ordered the demolition of all churches in the state, as he launched the second phase of his Sharia project yesterday.

Speaking at the launch in Gusau, the state capital, Governor Sani disclosed that time was ripe for full implementation of the programme as enshrined in the Holy Quran.

He added that his government would soon embark on demolition of all places of worship of unbelievers in the state, in line with Islamic injunction to fight them wherever they are found.

The governor also disclosed that a law to compel employers of labour in the state to give their employees "prayer breaks" five times daily would soon be enacted by the state House of Assembly.

The governor's stance on the demolition of all non-Islamic worship centres, however, runs contrary to the provisions of the country's constitution, which states in Chapter 4, Section 38(1) that "every person shall be entitled to freedom of thought, conscience and religion, including freedom to change his religion or belief and freedom (either alone or in community with others, and in public or in private) to manifest and propagate his religion or belief in worship, teaching, practice and observance.

Commenting on Governor Sani's decision, a lawyer and Chairman of Somolu Local Government, Barrister Ademorin Kuye, described the move as unconstitutional.

"The governor has no constitutional power to demolish churches in his state. The constitution guarantees the right of worship of every Nigerian. Nigeria is a secular state and a serving governor should not be seen as promoting one religion over the other ," Barrister Kuye declared.

He warned the Zamfara governor not to embark on destruction of churches, as it would have grave repercussion in other parts of the country.

It would be recalled that Governor Sani introduced the Sharia Legal Code in the state in the year 2000, despite opposition from the federal government and religious groups.

The implementation of the system led to the amputation of the wrist of a cow thief, Malam Jangedi.

Governor Sani also made the retention of a long beard a condition for securing juicy contracts from the state government.
Bell
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Bell:

Yujam is right here. the governor is saying nonsense, but of course, we are from a country where anything goes.

1.First of all, I dont know where he is getting his injuctions from.
2. He is NOT a spiritual leader, but a GOVERNOR under the Nigerian constitution.
3. If he is so righteous, he should resign his postion as governor and rule his locality as a cleric, if he qualifies.

It is dictators like this that cause problems everywhere. If true that having long beard is a condition for securing contracts, instead of merit, then he is sending hs own people back to the stone age :cry: :x
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

The government should put out a contract on Sani's head.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

Wow,Nigeria really is well-governed.GOOD JOB!WAY TO GO,OBJ! :lol:
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

I think if the people of the North trully want to practice Sharia, then we have no right to stop them, since they own their sovereignty. However, if they want to remain a part of the Federation, then they must accept that they have to sacrifice some things for the benefit of the entire Federation.

My fears of a Sovereign National Conference are:

1. Who would be the representatives of the people? What interests would they represent?

2. We would severly compromise the future of our country.

But if we are to gain long-term political stability, the basis of Nigeria has to be negotiated by Nigerians.

It's the same thing with all this sharia talk. If our Northern brothers and sisters want sharia, then they should negotiate sharia with us and we would determine what we can accomodate from them.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg
Re: Zamfara Gov Ahmed Sani Given An Inch; Now Seeks A Foot

Post by Naija fan »

YUJAM wrote:Bell:

The Zamfara governor does not seem to have a claim here. Even the Quran clearly acknowledges that other religious centers ought not to be disturbed and that ppl should be allowed to practice religions freely.

This is confirmed by the conduct of the first Caliph's who ruled over Jerusalem and Israel during Muslim rule there. For many years, none of the mosques or synagogues were destroyed there and Muslims coexisted peacefully with Christians and Jews there.
YUJAM, what the Quran says and what is being practiced are two different things. I understand that in Saudi Arabia, no other forms of religion are allowed in public. Unless you go to the embassies or the secluded compounds of the multi national corporations, there are no churches or synagogues in the country. This must be where the likes of Sani Ahmed get their inspiration from.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

I dislike the Zamafara Governor because he is a vile religious demagogue BUT I think P.M. News (surprise, suprise) has misquoted the letter of the law albeit maybe not his intentions

What the government has said it will do, is demolish religious building which haven't got permission to be used as such. It may be that they do not intend to grant any permissions to any church in Zamfara.

However it still remains fact that as of today the Government of Zamfara hasn't explicitly said they will demolish all churches, only unauthorised religious structures.

Small difference some may say, but a difference all the same and in these sensitive times differences like this can matter.
Ojukwu will make a killing in Zamfara be dat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

I think if the people of the North trully want to practice Sharia, then we have no right to stop them, since they own their sovereignty. However, if they want to remain a part of the Federation, then they must accept that they have to sacrifice some things for the benefit of the entire Federation.
Exactly, who gave us the right to determine what is good for other people?
And if they want to rule by all means then cut their share of the country to them and let them rule themselves biko.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Someone ask where this gov got his authority? i just laugh :mrgreen:

Muslim is suppose to be a peaceful religion but the brand of islam being preached and practiced in the south and in the north are worlds apart. The brand that is spreading in the north is not a peaceful religion at all and it has no place for tolerance. Those who think they don't know where the gov is getting his authority from are acting like an ostrich. Those who think this brand of islam are mere minority are ignorant.
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

The federal governmnt and the incumbent goat Obasanjo are partly responsible for this rubbish, It shows that we have no strong central government. You know what, if those Biafrans really want to secceed, this is the type of government that would not make moves to promote unity. Lost bakassi, ignored the problems caused by Sharia. Why did not all this happen under the military regime? I would not deny that the military was corrupt.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

The same trend anywhere these guys rear their ugly heads. From Middle East to civilised Europe to Africa, na so so Kata kata. Haba.

These virgins wey dey wait them should better be worth it on their day of judgement.

Nonesense :twisted:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
ojemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ojemba »

scholl wrote:The federal governmnt and the incumbent goat Obasanjo are partly responsible for this rubbish, It shows that we have no strong central government. You know what, if those Biafrans really want to secceed, this is the type of government that would not make moves to promote unity. Lost bakassi, ignored the problems caused by Sharia. Why did not all this happen under the military regime? I would not deny that the military was corrupt.
Scholl

What has any of this got to do with the Biafrans ? Has Sani not already secceded by his actions or does he have to show the world his flag and national anthem before we acknowledge he is running his own country ? You have a problem with Sani and all you can think about is the Biafrans, maybe Sani is now a Biafran.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

cchinukw wrote:The same trend anywhere these guys rear their ugly heads. From Middle East to civilised Europe to Africa, na so so Kata kata. Haba.

These virgins wey dey wait them should better be worth it on their day of judgement.

Nonesense :twisted:
It has to be much more than virgins.
No normal human will do what they do expecting just virgins
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

The same trend anywhere these guys rear their ugly heads. From Middle East to civilised Europe to Africa, na so so Kata kata. Haba.

Nonesense
Ol Boy, the thing don tire me sef. They are just a scourge and a pain in the #$% to everyone.......From Madrid to Kano and elsewhere na so so wahala
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.