It's over for Brenda

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg
It's over for Brenda

Post by Mzekezeke »

It's over for Brenda

Big-voiced Brenda: Fassie, the crowd pleaser and headline stealer,went into a coma this week after suffering a heart attack

'Brenda, as we know her, will never be the same." These were the words of 40-year-old pop legend Brenda Fassie's manager Peter Snyman yesterday.

He was speaking as the singer's family gathered at her bedside, keeping a vigil as they had since the beginning of the week.

Snyman confirmed at a media briefing held at Sunninghill Hospital, north of Johannesburg, yesterday that the controversial pop singer was in a "very critical" condition in the intensive-care unit.

Her producer and mentor, Chicco Twala, said: "Brenda's been in hospital for the past five days and she's not recovering. She's been in a coma for the past five days so obviously it's a big blow to her fans."

Fassie was rushed to the hospital by her family on Monday morning, struggling for breath. She was resuscitated by doctors and put on a ventilator to help her breathe.

Fassie's family and friends insisted at first that the singer - who has a history of drug use - had had an asthma attack, but yesterday announced at the press conference that she had had heart failure.

A sombre-looking Snyman said: "We fear the worst, that there may be brain damage."

Asked if Fassie was brain-dead, Snyman replied: "You're not far wrong."

He said this was the opinion of the doctor attending to Fassie.

The Sunday Times learnt yesterday that Fassie's family had been advised to switch off the singer's life-support machine.

But Fassie's older brother Monty, who arrived from Cape Town yesterday, said there was no question of the ventilator being turned off.

As late as Friday, the family continued to insist that Fassie was improving.

Her brother, Themba Fassie, told the Sunday Times on Friday afternoon: "Her blood pressure, heartbeat and body temperature are now all okay."

Looking relieved, he said his sister appeared to be responding by using gestures.

"She blinks, she moves her body and she's aware that she's in hospital, " he said at the time.

He admitted that the pop queen's condition kept changing, but he denied that she was brain-damaged, saying two tests had shown that "her brain was still fine".

But after her condition deteriorated on Friday night and a second opinion confirmed the singer had suffered brain damage, the family announced yesterday that she was critically ill.

A sombre mood engulfed the hospital as friends and family arrived yesterday afternoon.

Among them were her brother Themba, nephew Sikhumbuzo, Kora Awards executive producer Ernest Adjovi, former fiancé Landile Shembe kaGcingca, friend Thembi Mahambehlala, personal manager Lupi Ngca yisa and Twala.

Fassie's traumatised son, Bongani, arrived at about 4pm.

Mahambehlala asked everyone to pray for Fassie.

A priest, Pastor Linda Bam, and two of Fassie's sisters, Lindiwe and Elizabeth, were at her bedside.

A frail-looking Fassie - who was scheduled to perform in Swaziland today - last performed at the Divas Concert in d#$% Park in Vereeniging at Easter.

Fassie was South Africa's first pop superstar. The diva, who has sold more records than any other South African artist, said in an 1998 interview: "I'm a shocker. I like to create controversy. It's my trademark."
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

I don't know whether any CE's are familiar with Brenda's music but she is one of my favourites muscians and I hope she pulls through.
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

I have been an admirer of Brenda for a while.

I will not give up hope for her & will pray that she recovers fully.

There will never be another Brenda & this is too soon.

I beleive she will be back.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

I hope she gets better because she has produced many a memorable song.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
khalela

Post by khalela »

Brenda is an African Icon and I hope she recovers fully and stays off drugs.At the last Ghanian Music Awards,she did not look anything like herself and the fans were worried for her.Before that,the last time I saw her was at the finals of Big Brother Africa and she was looking ok.
motopamba
Egg
Egg

Post by motopamba »

Queen of excess

music

Brenda Fassie is impossible to interview, as BABALWA SHOTA found out, but hanging out with the frenetic pop star is fun

Brenda Fassie strides into the SABC Radio Park reception area in Auckland Park, Johannesburg, surrounded by an entourage of seven young women.

Although the corridor is teeming with television and radio celebrities, everyone stops to stare at her. This is not because she's being noisy or trying to get attention - it's because she is Brenda Fassie, the queen of pop and South Africa's favourite bad girl.

She's here to launch her new album, Mina Nawe, live on Umhlobo Wenene FM, and she's a little late because she was hanging out with her girlfriends in Yeoville.

The lift arrives to take us down to the studio, but when the doors open, Brenda screams to a startled audience: "Ooh, it's full of white people!" before running off laughing.

When a second lift arrives, we all troop in and join the two white women already inside.

"My naam is Brenda," she introduces herself to one of them. "Ek is 'n songstress. Ek is ryk," she says with a deadpan expression.

That's Brenda for you, the sometimes sweet, sometimes funny exhibitionist who has made the South African music industry interesting for the past 20 years. She is not a racist, nor is she someone who promotes racist remarks; she is just the woman she is. When she accepted her Duku Duku award last month for the most-talked about celebrity she sang the hit single off her new album, Mina nzohlala nginje (I will always be this way).

Inside the studio, Brenda lets out a delighted squeal when she sees a covered tray of snacks, a six-pack of cider and some spririt coolers. She immediately disperses the drinks, opening one bottle with the other, kasi (township) style.

As she hands me a spirit cooler she warns sternly: "Don't you dare write that Brenda was drinking alone in the studio. Remember, we are all doing it together."

It's not surprising that Brenda is more than a bit wary of the press - after all, she must be the most written-about celebrity in South Africa. People have read everything about Brenda's life, from the days when she was flying high with the Big Dudes, to the days when she was plain high on drugs. There's been much speculation, too, about the paternity of her son, Bongani, about her habit of blowing her money on friends and up her nose, and about her amazing comeback in 1999 with Vulindlela after she'd been written off as a has-been.

Inside the studio, Brenda's pals sprawl out on the floor eating mini pies and slugging down the drinks. DJ KC, whose show is hosting the album launch, doesn't seem to mind as long as MaBrrr is happy. When DJ KC puts on Mina nzohlala nginje to introduce his guest to listeners around the country, Brenda suddenly belts out the lyrics to the song. "Hello, mzi wakwa Xhosa (Xhosa people)," she says, and the calls start coming in almost immediately, especially from Brenda's hometown, Cape Town.

Being the emotional person she is, she starts crying when caller after caller tells her that they love her and encourage her to chase her dreams and never give up.

"They love me," she says to the room at large in a hoarse and seemingly amazed voice. "I'll always be this way, and as long as God loves me, I'll always be fine. People have said things about me, are saying things about me, and will continue saying things about me. But I will always be like this. Mina ngohlala nginje."

She goes outside to light a cigarette and comes back into the studio with it. She gestures at me to give her another drink, then bends down to the floor where I'm sitting and asks: "Are you having a good time?" Of course, I'm having a ball. Who wouldn't be, hanging out with the queen of pop and having her serve me drinks.

"I love this - being with my friends and having Stacey (Gule from EMI/CCP Records) take care of me. Stacey always looks after me. She's my sister," says Brenda.

Ever the show-off, Brenda points to the label of her purple shirt, which is unbuttoned and tied at the waist. "It's a Guess. My friends bought it for me because they love me. They've got their own money. They bring me presents instead of asking for rent money. I love them," she says a little tearfully.

I have to admit the shirt looks good on her, with her grey vest, blue-and-gold jeans, purple sandals and cornrow braids with white beads, Brenda looks and feels good.

She politely announces to listeners across South Africa that she is going to the toilet because she wants to pee. In the ladies, Brenda tells me: "I'm beautiful now because I'm surrounded by love, and I'm thin because I'm happy."

Back in the studio, while there's a commercial on air, Brenda gets some time off from behind the microphone to confide in me in a girl-to-girl manner. "I don't have a man and I don't want one at the moment. I care about my girlfriends right now. Bongani is the man in my life now."

When I mention that she seems to have toned down in recent months, Brenda agrees. "I'm focusing on Bongani's (singing) career and trying to be a good mother. Besides, everyone grows up, and I think I have."

While it's obvious that MaBrrr is still a rough diamond, these days she's also showing her other side - the caring mother, serious musician and role model. Although Brenda still loves her drink, she claims she hasn't touched drugs in a long while. And in nearly two hours, she hasn't uttered a single swearword. Try that for size, Slim Shady!

As soon as the break is over, the pop star jumps up, crosses over to the microphone and sings along to one of her new tracks that is playing on the airwaves. Then she disappears, presumably to the ladies again, just as DJ KC is about to finish the show.

He starts to panic, screaming for someone to fetch Brenda so she can say goodbye to her fans. He ad libs, chatting away about his hours with Brenda in the studio, then he puts on another of her songs and runs out to look for her himself. A few seconds later, the radio jock rushes back, with Brenda leisurely following him with a naughty grin on her face.

"I want to say hi to my husband, Nhlanhla, and all the prisoners with him at Sun City (Johannesburg Central Prison). This is my new record, love. The two of us, sohlala sinje (we'll stay like this). You know we never got divorced, you're still my husband," says Brenda, and then bursts out laughing.

It's time to hit the road in her new car, which she has been bragging about all afternoon. She is meant to be supervising Bongani's music video that night and she's anxious to get back to her son, which is why I don't get the kind of interview I was looking for.

DJ KC sums it up perfectly when he says: "I feel like I've been climbing a mountain this afternoon!"

Two hours with the queen of pop certainly feels that way - it's exciting but exhausting.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Mandoza wrote:I don't know whether any CE's are familiar with Brenda's music but she is one of my favourites muscians and I hope she pulls through.
Wasn't she the wren that had that hit song around the same time as Yvonne Chaka Chaka?...I forget the title.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

I thought Brenda Fassie was well on her way to beating this drug thing. It's really sad.

Mandoza,

I can't seem to recollect any of Brenda's songs apart from "Wedding day" and "Vulindlela". What other popular songs did she sing?
marloski
Egg
Egg

Post by marloski »

Indeed it is sad that another African star had succumbed to the excesses of drugs. I hope she recovers. Our prayers with her family and friends at this time. :( :( :( :(

This sad episode reminds me of Tyna Onwudiwe who also died of cancer in SA.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

TD wrote:I thought Brenda Fassie was well on her way to beating this drug thing. It's really sad.

Mandoza,

I can't seem to recollect any of Brenda's songs apart from "Wedding day" and "Vulindlela". What other popular songs did she sing?
Was it "Vulindlela" or "Vulendra"? I ain't too sure, but the beat on that song was kicking.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

I think I remember the "Wedding day" song.

It's your wedding day,
It's your wedding day,
etc
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

i heard she's gone now....

loved some of her songs.... especially d one she won her award for in 2000/1.....

and then some old ones....

SAD..... :(
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

cic old boy wrote:
TD wrote:I thought Brenda Fassie was well on her way to beating this drug thing. It's really sad.

Mandoza,

Was it "Vulindlela" or "Vulendra"? I ain't too sure, but the beat on that song was kicking.
I think she sang one that goes, "one step forward and one step back...come on everybody!"
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Mennnnnnnnn I am smashed :( :( :( :( :( :( .
She did live it up though.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Brenda Fassie is not dead
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id ... 9&set_id=1
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

27 wrote:
Brenda Fassie is not dead
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id ... 9&set_id=1
Ok... i hope so.... i heard from a girlfriend of mine this morn... stunned was an understatement to wot i felt....

if she's not, i hope she pulls thru this... She's a great asset.....
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

cic old boy wrote:

Mandoza,

CICOB

"Vulindlela" - came out late 1998 or 1999, I think. It was a huge hit in Southern Africa, so that must be the one you are thinking of.
motopamba
Egg
Egg

Post by motopamba »

Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Mandoza,

TD she has a lot of hits like Weekend Special, Nomakanjani,
I Straight Lendaba, Too Late For Mama , Boipatong, BlackPresident, Thola Madlozi , Amagents and a whole lot more.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Motopamba this is ones a classic the two Queens together.
TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

Mandoza wrote:

Mandoza,

TD she has a lot of hits like Weekend Special, Nomakanjani,
I Straight Lendaba, Too Late For Mama , Boipatong, BlackPresident, Thola Madlozi , Amagents and a whole lot more.
Oh Yeah. "Too late for Mama" and "Black President" I can recollect. Like I said, it a real shame.
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

Sad news I hope she recovers.