Kanoute, Sissoko and Sakho cleared by FIFA for ANC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Kanoute, Sissoko and Sakho cleared by FIFA for ANC

Post by AreaDaddy »

Kanoute cleared for Mali

Tottenham striker Frederic Kanoute has been cleared to play for Mali in the African Nations Cup. Kanoute has played for France at Under-21 level but Fifa revealed that he will be allowed to play for the country of his parents' birth.

Spurs were stunned by Kanoute's decision to play in the tournament, which begins on 24 January. However, assistant boss Chris Hughton admitted on Wednesday the club were resigned to losing him.

Tottenham have already asked whether Kanoute, the team's top scorer this season, can join the Mali squad after the Premiership match against Liverpool on 17 January.

A club spokesman said: "We have written to Fifa asking them that if Frederic gets the OK, we would appreciate their help in terms of relaxing that release period."

Fifa rules state that clubs must release players at least 14 days ahead of an international tournament.

Fifa also ruled on Wednesday that Leeds United's Lamine Sakho and Mohamed Sissoko of Valencia can play for Mali and Senegal respectively.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

How I wish Shola Amuobi can reverse his mind too and play for Nigeria cus I don't see him getting pass that U-21 level with England as HISTORY told me.