The Community Plate - How did Obi Play?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Mikel is another Makalele, Batty or Ademola Adeshina type player. We have to get over our disappointment that he is not another JJ.

Even id Mikel were to go and play for Wenger or Barcelona tomorrow, his game would still be 95% simple and sdeways passes. I hope Rabiu Ibrahim comes to our aid as we search for a playmaker.
There is an article, earlier this month, on this at:

http://www.supereaglesnation.com

IMO, Obi's game would have been very different on another team. His game is a product of Chelsea and Mourinho. Go back and look at Obi's game at the WYC and you will be convinced that he surely could be different. Right now his game is 100% Chelsea and JM and frankly he is doing very well at it.
EII,

I agree with you totally... Obi does not need to show his creative side. His team does not require that from him. Frankly, for a young player to be tactical disciplined enough not to show boat, or show that he has skills (something Utaka and fellow Africans have a need to do) is a credit to his coach and to the player. His position requires maximum efficiency (no turnovers).

In a different sport, Basket Ball, coach John Thompson and Larry Brown once said, "at the Pro level, everyone can dribble, everyone can shoot, I just need someone that knows how to set a good pick, rebound, and do the other little stuff that helps us get the 'W'..." the bottom line is, at Chelsea he is not asked to be creative. It is not his job... I just wished that us fans will realize that some positions on the field require specialization... not skill workshops.

The same fans who are criticizing him for not being creative at Chelsea will scream our ears off for his apparent over elaboration on the ball when he plays with the Eagles... claiming, "he wont try that stuff at Chelsea".
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

one thing for sure is that Obi made a great mistake by going to chelsea. he is no play maker like kaka and ronaldinho but i can compare him slightly to seedorf or scholes composed on the ball gives simple passes but when that run is made or opening comes around he would not let anyone down.

These are players whose performance is based on the performance and or mobility of their players.

If Obi had gone to Manu, Arsanal :evil: , or a Barca type team i could bet we would see less square passes from the kid and more creativity.

IMO he would never get better than what he is now so long as JM is his boss
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Player ratings from Shield

By MARK IRWIN
August 06, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

Chelsea

PETR CECH
SAVED brilliantly from Giggs then made two fine stops to deny Ronaldo. Mark (out of 10) 8

GLEN JOHNSON
Back in the starting side but gave Evra too much space. Vital block to deny Giggs. 6

RICARDO CARVALHO
Quickly struck up rapport with new partner Ben Haim. Series of timely tackles. Booked. 7

TAL BEN HAIM
Entertaining tussle with his old sparring partner Rooney. Very solid debut. Booked. 7

ASHLEY COLE
Great pass to set up Malouda equaliser and can be pleased at the way he played Ronaldo. 7

MIKEL JOHN OBI
Almost got on the end of Essien flick — and pair edged battle for midfield supremacy. Booked. 6

MICHAEL ESSIEN
As solid and dependable as ever, allowing Chelsea’s centre-backs to get to know each other. 8

FRANK LAMPARD
Played whole game despite a toe injury to give boss Mourinho a boost. Missed his penalty. 6

SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS
Rare chance to impress but did not take it as his final ball let him down several times. 5

JOE COLE
Pushed up to compensate for the loss of Drogba. Full of running, switched wide after the break. 6

FLORENT MALOUDA
Instant hit with Blues fans as he brilliantly held off Ferdinand then produced stylish finish. 7

SUBSTITUTES
PIZARRO (Malouda 51) 6, DIARRA (A Cole 67) 5, SIDWELL (Johnson 77) 5, SINCLAIR (J Cole 82) 5.

Man Utd

EDWIN VAN DER SAR
STAR MAN. Quiet game but made three brilliant saves in the penalty shootout. 8

WES BROWN
Tested by impressive Malouda but played his part in United’s improved defensive display. 6

RIO FERDINAND
Will be disappointed he failed to stop Malouda from scoring the leveller on half-time. 6

NEMANJA VIDIC
Looked more solid than v Inter in midweek — but Blues did not field a striker in the first half. 6

MIKAEL SILVESTRE
Shock starter could have been a shock scorer as he nearly turned in a first-half cross. 6

CRISTIANO RONALDO
Winger produced a few flashes of brilliance and was twice denied a winner by Cech. 7

MICHAEL CARRICK
Went close early on, rarely wasted possession and made no mistake from the spot. 6

JOHN O’SHEA
Unlikely to start when Scholes and Hargreaves return. But never lets anyone down. 6

PATRICE EVRA
Pushed further forward after poor game against Inter and set up Giggs’ slick opener. 7

RYAN GIGGS
United spent big on wingers but the stand-in skipper put down his marker with a fine strike. 7

WAYNE ROONEY
England star was pumped up and went home happy after hitting winning pen. Booked. 7

SUBSTITUTES
NANI (Silvestre, 67) 5, FLETCHER (Giggs, 81) 5

Source: The Sun
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

bonecrusher wrote:one thing for sure is that Obi made a great mistake by going to chelsea. he is no play maker like kaka and ronaldinho but i can compare him slightly to seedorf or scholes composed on the ball gives simple passes but when that run is made or opening comes around he would not let anyone down.

These are players whose performance is based on the performance and or mobility of their players.

If Obi had gone to Manu, Arsanal :evil: , or a Barca type team i could bet we would see less square passes from the kid and more creativity.

IMO he would never get better than what he is now so long as JM is his boss
Woulda, coulda!
He chose Chelsea. Let's respect his choice.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
shamnex
Egg
Egg

Post by shamnex »

good player, shouda gone to manutd
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Questions from WYC 05 for una wey wan make Mikel be JJ..

1. How often did Mikel dribble the defence?

2. How often did Mikel take shots on goal?

3. How many goals did he score from open play?

and the biggest question
4. What were his strengths and weaknesses from that tournament????
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

analyzer wrote:Questions from WYC 05 for una wey wan make Mikel be JJ..

and the biggest question
My broda, the thing done tire me. I don't know which Mikel they watched win the silver boot in Holland'05. From the very first game I watched, I noticed he was not an attacking midfielder in the mold of JJ or nwosu or any of the past SE attacking midfielders (and mentioned this on a thread 2 yrs ago - i no get time for research). The kid likes to sit deep - just in front of the DM and string passes from that position. Every once in a while pushing forward to join the attack just outside the box. He never did a lot of running and certainly took like close to zero shots on goal the entire tournament. Yet, he was voted second best. What did the voters see? What did manU & chelsea see? What has Jose seen?
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

green4life wrote:

and the biggest question
My broda, the thing done tire me. I don't know which Mikel they watched win the silver boot in Holland'05. From the very first game I watched, I noticed he was not an attacking midfielder in the mold of JJ or nwosu or any of the past SE attacking midfielders (and mentioned this on a thread 2 yrs ago - i no get time for research). The kid likes to sit deep - just in front of the DM and string passes from that position. Every once in a while pushing forward to join the attack just outside the box. He never did a lot of running and certainly took like close to zero shots on goal the entire tournament. Yet, he was voted second best. What did the voters see? What did manU & chelsea see? What has Jose seen?
When I see learned folks like Enugu talk about Obi's skill set in the same context as JJ, I am befuddled. Did we watch the same WYC tournament. The same Obi that virtually lived beside Kaita, sending long balls down the flanks. Barely got into the opponents 18.
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

lagos777 wrote:
green4life wrote:

and the biggest question
When I see learned folks like Enugu talk about Obi's skill set in the same context as JJ, I am befuddled. Did we watch the same WYC tournament. The same Obi that virtually lived beside Kaita, sending long balls down the flanks. Barely got into the opponents 18.
I gave up on Ayo and his ilk a long time ago. I mean do they watch games with their eyes closed? Or is it that they just wanted so hard to find a replacement for JJ that they just tricked their brain into seeing what was not there? I mean Ayo makes it seem as if its today that Mikel has been playing how he's playing. He's never been an AM in the JJ mold...NEVER EVER EVER EVER! Gosh some people will never learn!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

okidoki wrote:Its like people on this forum don't ever sit down and analyze that boys position and situation in the team.
He is playing for Maurinho, a man that put the great Makalele on the bench for not playing to instructions, a man that Ballack isn't sure of a regular shirt with. Even the most optimistic shriner of Obi Mikel never dreamt of a situation of Obi snatching a shirt from any of these super stars happening so soon.
If you saw the Feyenord game were Obi was pulled from the match, he tried doing what some of you here want which is take the initiative and doing an Essien, he got pulled out within 30 minutes.

As far as Muarinho is concerned Obis role is to keep the ball safe in front of the back 4. Obi has mortgaged his future, joining Chelsea, so he has to live with it now.

Is he a good player? without doubt, is he the best passer of the ball in the team, Without doubt, but the bad thing is that he is also the best holding player in the team, a role that Essien was originally brought in for, these says a lot about his talent level. Today Essien's role is not even fully defined as Obi has taken that holding role. Which is the reason Chelsea is willing to sell Ballack to free up some room in the midfield.
Its bad for Nigeria that the boy will never be the player Nigerians dreamt of, a play making player, due to his choices. Those choices have led to the kind of manager he has ended up playing for(No matter what you think of Jose, he kind of stiffles talent, its like he doesn't want superstars in his team).
I wonder why people do not get it like you do.

It seems so simple to me sha.

Like you said, he has made his lot with Mourinho. That in itself is not a bad thing but it means he will have to wit his turn to start unleashing his other great side.

What we have to deal with now is time.

I still say I love his development path - what he is gaining so many things to his already rare Arsenal that no Nigerian I know has or ever had in its completeness or rather depth.

I do not know why many are worried about the odd/wrong things. The bottom line for us now is to development winners and players who play the style winners play completely with winners mindset.
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.
The earth is not our home.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7711/opaks.gif
http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/bsflag.gif
Baggy
Egg
Egg

Post by Baggy »

marko wrote:one or 2 nice touches, the boy is no doubt a very good player, people should give him a break

I think it is high time we wake up and smell the coffee about this youngster.

As far as i am concerned he is no player that can and turn a game around.
To me he looks like an ordinary English player who just passes the ball around as soon as he gets it.

I have not seen what i saw during the YWC since he arrived in England or in Naija jersey.

Too much noise as been made about him.

SE will not miss him even if he is not called back into the team.

The bobo should go and take a look at the player he was a runners up to in the YWC (Messi).
The bobo is improving everyday plus you look forward to see him play. He is a player you look for his name on a team list but not Obi.

Until he grows or shows me that he can be a world class player, I am not going to be paying much attention to him.

He is nothing like nice looking woman or sisi (young lady) that will make you turn your head around to shadow her again on the street.
I now see through the eyes of JESUS CHRIST - An Indian woman HEALED by our LORD JESUS CHRIST @ Ben Hinn Healing Crusade .
What About You?

What we do, does not define who we are, what define's us is how well we rise after we have fallen.

The only consistency of the referees is there Inconsistencies - Wigan FC Manager.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

YUJAM wrote:Shaky first half but a rather good second with some good penetrating balls. He still needs to learn that grabbing and pulling refs in this day and age can get him in big trouble.
He did ish at least twice during the game...
<
YoungLion
Egg
Egg

Post by YoungLion »

I'm still wondering what's so special about this kid, cuz I just don't see it.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Obi played well. Don't believe the haters! I don't really care for his attitude but the guy has undoubted skill. IMHO, he was the best Chelsea midfielder yesterday. Essien had a sub-par game and Lampard just dey run around like headless chicken.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

airwolex wrote:Obi played well. Don't believe the haters! I don't really care for his attitude but the guy has undoubted skill. IMHO, he was the best Chelsea midfielder yesterday. Essien had a sub-par game and Lampard just dey run around like headless chicken.
I wish Lampard would go to Barca and Deco the other way. Bout time.
Mike Ditka quote :
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

okidoki wrote:Its like people on this forum don't ever sit down and analyze that boys position and situation in the team.
He is playing for Maurinho, a man that put the great Makalele on the bench for not playing to instructions, a man that Ballack isn't sure of a regular shirt with. Even the most optimistic shriner of Obi Mikel never dreamt of a situation of Obi snatching a shirt from any of these super stars happening so soon.
If you saw the Feyenord game were Obi was pulled from the match, he tried doing what some of you here want which is take the initiative and doing an Essien, he got pulled out within 30 minutes.

As far as Muarinho is concerned Obis role is to keep the ball safe in front of the back 4. Obi has mortgaged his future, joining Chelsea, so he has to live with it now.

Is he a good player? without doubt, is he the best passer of the ball in the team, Without doubt, but the bad thing is that he is also the best holding player in the team, a role that Essien was originally brought in for, these says a lot about his talent level. Today Essien's role is not even fully defined as Obi has taken that holding role. Which is the reason Chelsea is willing to sell Ballack to free up some room in the midfield.
Its bad for Nigeria that the boy will never be the player Nigerians dreamt of, a play making player, due to his choices. Those choices have led to the kind of manager he has ended up playing for(No matter what you think of Jose, he kind of stiffles talent, its like he doesn't want superstars in his team).
Simply brilliant. Nothing more to add
-Simpli fy -
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

lagos777 wrote:
airwolex wrote:Obi played well. Don't believe the haters! I don't really care for his attitude but the guy has undoubted skill. IMHO, he was the best Chelsea midfielder yesterday. Essien had a sub-par game and Lampard just dey run around like headless chicken.
Seems like he is past his prime. He has had poor games in the past but even his set pieces were $@#%. He is still a useful player but should never be an automatic choice and no way should he receive the amount of money he is holding out for.

As for Young Lioness; Mikel is better than Geremi, Makoun and Mbami together....go dust!
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

You people are taking style to avoid a simple question. Is Mikel Obi a scoring threat or is he not?

My observation is that the only Nigerian midfielders who score are Oruma, Kalu Uche, Olofinjana and Kanu (if you call him a midfielder). Mikel Obi, and many others seem to hold, pass and link up ... some called this play the modern game ... Truth be told Mikel Obi is a Carlos Valderama clone. His passes are almost as good as Valderama and his work rate is higher.
Fegwu wrote:

I wonder why people do not get it like you do.

It seems so simple to me sha.

Like you said, he has made his lot with Mourinho. That in itself is not a bad thing but it means he will have to wit his turn to start unleashing his other great side.

What we have to deal with now is time.

I still say I love his development path - what he is gaining so many things to his already rare Arsenal that no Nigerian I know has or ever had in its completeness or rather depth.

I do not know why many are worried about the odd/wrong things. The bottom line for us now is to development winners and players who play the style winners play completely with winners mindset.
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg
Re: The Community Plate - How Mikel Obi play?

Post by Dog Bruno »

General Trousers wrote:
Is Mikel Obi a scoring threat against really good competition? He can pass, but to score goal I no dey see am.

How quickly you don forget the game for ANC....that EPL crap, aint feeling it.
You are Your Own Dog
The Ugandan
Egg
Egg

Post by The Ugandan »

paj wrote:....he's not yet confident and fluid enough for my liking.U can see the evidence of the skill there,but I'm still patiently waiting for the day Obi let's lose...and from what I'm seeing all it'll take is one game the shake off the tension.Granted he may be playing to Mourinho's strict instructions for now but look like sey na small small Jose dey gree am the freedom to be himself,I guess to avoid risks based on wetin dem see for training.One floating and two through passes connected yesterday...two floating passes missed their mark and one intended through pass was erratic..not too shabby..one of the through passes could've resulted in a goal but SWP fluffed it...a close call with the goal wey E for head inside..work in progress.I wonder if he works on his shooting in training because we can see a couple of times Essien was lining up to fire the missile but Manure wised up enuff to disallow the alignment..that's one of the things I'd like to see from Obi.Remember,Kanu was really never known for his shots but lately we've seen him take them.But..back at the ranch..I think this should be the season,especially against smaller teams,for Obi to really let lose.If Chelsea can start getting goals early in their matches,that will allow a player like him to orchestrate some attacks with ease cause there'll be less pressure to be defensive..

Pa
I used to think like this then I wondered why he isn't himself for the SE. If he doesn't pull it off in the next ANC he'll never do so. In fact Ghana 2008 should be Obi's time to shine. Doesn't mean 9ja will win it though.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

YoungLion wrote:I'm still wondering what's so special about this kid, cuz I just don't see it.
quoted for emphasis
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

airwolex wrote:
lagos777 wrote:
Seems like he is past his prime. He has had poor games in the past but even his set pieces were $@#%. He is still a useful player but should never be an automatic choice and no way should he receive the amount of money he is holding out for.

As for Young Lioness; Mikel is better than Geremi, Makoun and Mbami together....go dust!
Gere what. Common. Mikel dey start for Chelsea, why you answering this dude !
Mike Ditka quote :
2drama
Eaglet
Eaglet
Location: To my Late Grand-Papa Pa onyemere(he left us oct-26-07) -i miss you -R-I-P

Post by 2drama »

marko wrote:one or 2 nice touches, the boy is no doubt a very good player, people should give him a break
for faking injuries and giving lame excuses when Nigeria calls
please we don't need the boy
http://www.2dramasports.com is live ,Get SE downloads links or watch online links
Get Your Super Eagles Games on DvD Pm 2drama don't live history have a part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_national_football_team