Is The Premiership Really That Good?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

shakakaka wrote:
Talk IT wrote:
shakakaka wrote:..Let me add how many, HOW MANY mad skilled English players have attracted the likes of Barcelona, R. Madrid, Milan, Inter, B.Munich, etc...And colonialist lovers do not tell me that with great wages in the EPL, there is no reason for these English dribblers to move away and get some LACKING CULTURE!

I forgot to state in my previous post that I do know why a lot of African players want to play in the EPL and that is simply money, not because of the great weather :roll: or English roses :roll: and HELL NOT for the skill that it puts emphasis on :roll: :roll: :roll:

theshak
That is the basic mistake most of you make. You are still living in the past.
You equate the EPL to mean English league.
Go and check the nationality of most players in the top teams and in the league and see if they are english. And with all the so called spanish skillful players and league, what have they won in international football. England have atleast won the world cup once and the european cup. What has spain won with their supposely superior league and players?
..so you answer is none then...of course I understand there are many foriegn players in that league...however the BSkyB's othis world have been saying the league is the best since it started and how the likes of Shearer (FYI, an Englsh player) are the greatest. And this without even looking at the La ligas of this world!
Is the problem about english players or the EPL?
There are equivalent of BskyB in spain and they have been saying how spanish league is the best. I don't see any problem here.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
tendai101
Egg
Egg

Post by tendai101 »

Shakaka the point you make is one i made here not so long and and that is the EPL is most watched on account of Britains colonial connections. China, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Nigeria, RSA, much of Southern Africa, India, arabian contries and many asian ones mean the EPL is the European league of choice be default. Same token Latin Americans have allegiance to La Liga due to historical connections. This fact about it offers end to end stuff and all that malaky is an overstatement. If it was best from a football perspective one would expect it to also regularly produced the best players and as we all know it doesnt (both foreign and local) and its only recently till Henry was touted as a possible best player in the world and guess what, he too longed to play in La Liga :P :P Wonder why
The wise speak when they have something to say,
fools speak when they have to say something.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Its our business to stir it up
tendai101
Egg
Egg

Post by tendai101 »

Shakaka the point you make is one i made here not so long and and that is the EPL is most watched on account of Britains colonial connections. China, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Nigeria, RSA, much of Southern Africa, India, arabian contries and many asian ones mean the EPL is the European league of choice be default. Same token Latin Americans have allegiance to La Liga due to historical connections. This fact about it offers end to end stuff and all that malaky is an overstatement. If it was best from a football perspective one would expect it to also regularly produced the best players and as we all know it doesnt (both foreign and local) and its only recently till Henry was touted as a possible best player in the world and guess what, he too longed to play in La Liga :P :P Wonder why
The wise speak when they have something to say,
fools speak when they have to say something.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Its our business to stir it up
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

Talk IT wrote:
shakakaka wrote:..Let me add how many, HOW MANY mad skilled English players have attracted the likes of Barcelona, R. Madrid, Milan, Inter, B.Munich, etc...And colonialist lovers do not tell me that with great wages in the EPL, there is no reason for these English dribblers to move away and get some LACKING CULTURE!

I forgot to state in my previous post that I do know why a lot of African players want to play in the EPL and that is simply money, not because of the great weather :roll: or English roses :roll: and HELL NOT for the skill that it puts emphasis on :roll: :roll: :roll:

theshak
Go and check the nationality of most players in the top teams and in the league and see if they are english. And with all the so called spanish skillful players and league, what have they won in international football. England have atleast won the world cup once and the european cup. What has spain won with their supposely superior league and players?
Dude which Euros has England won...I could also say Spain won the Euros once, we all know they are underachivers like England... :lol:
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

Pep Guardiola To Barca Before CL Final
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Why don't the people that like Laliga watch Laliga and the people that like the Prem watch it? Live and let live. Personally, apart from Real and Barca I can't watch Laliga and the Serie A is just plain boring.
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

airwolex wrote:Why don't the people that like Laliga watch Laliga and the people that like the Prem watch it? Live and let live. Personally, apart from Real and Barca I can't watch Laliga and the Serie A is just plain boring.
So most people only watch games from the top teams, what is your point...Do you think most people will go out of their way to watch a game from Fulham and living in the UK would make you watch the EPL more...
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Killa Hyena,

For some one who is only a couple of years out of his teens you talk too much. You are telling people that were into football when keepers could catch back passes and there was no name on the back of jerseys what League to watch ehn? If you know the history of football and the English League you won't be opening your mouth like this...coconut head!
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

airwolex wrote:Killa Hyena,

For some one who is only a couple of years out of his teens you talk too much. You are telling people that were into football when keepers could catch back passes and there was no name on the back of jerseys what League to watch ehn? If you know the history of football and the English League you won't be opening your mouth like this...coconut head!
:lol:

I see you couldn't figure it out...Read carefully, what I mean is your location has an influence on what you watch....Most of the people here defending the EPL are in the UK, there is a guy in Ghanaweb who lives in Barcelona and guess what league he prefers... :lol:

shakakaka
Egg
Egg

Post by shakakaka »

Talk IT wrote:
shakakaka wrote:
Talk IT wrote:

theshak
..so you answer is none then...of course I understand there are many foriegn players in that league...however the BSkyB's othis world have been saying the league is the best since it started and how the likes of Shearer (FYI, an Englsh player) are the greatest. And this without even looking at the La ligas of this world!
Is the problem about english players or the EPL?
There are equivalent of BskyB in spain and they have been saying how spanish league is the best. I don't see any problem here.
Yes, but over the years they have had many world player of the years to prove it! How many WPY/EPY have come from the Great EPL?..I would add the AFY, but that has recently become a bit of a joke!

The Waffler in his earlier post mentioned Asia as an example why the EPL is so great since they love it up. Waffler & Co., the Asians are the Numero Uno when it comes to loving all things White!!! I guarantee you if Man U were an all black team you would see very little interested in them in that part of the world..and yes I have visited the like of China, India (In both bleaching is even bigger than in the DRC and women use umbrellas to protect themselves from darkening-up from the sun!!!) The Waffler, I wait for your response?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Down with bim bam football.. Down with the kick and rush! :lol:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

YUJAM wrote:Down with bim bam football.. Down with the kick and rush! :lol:
And yet, you go and pay 15 dollars for Setanta ? :shock:
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

lagos777 wrote:
No mind Yujam... tho he will tell you it's for other football programs. If you hate EPL, do not get Setanta cuz not only do you get the EPL games, you also get some ChelseaTv and ManUTv programs. For an EPL fan like myself, Setanta is like mana from heaven. Lovely.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

tfco wrote:
Globero wrote:
YUJAM wrote:The style of play doesn't encourage skill or finesse. Plus the fans who love the bim bam stuck in style of football do not appreciate dwelling on the ball.
Again Yujam, I state that is not true.

What you define as dwelling on the ball is not anyless of what agitates MOST fans worldwide especially if such "showboating" is not purposeful.

Purposeful football is appreciated by EPL fans. Skilfull players that ply their trade in England learn to adapt to the speed as well. Its the idea of dribbling 5 players with no end result that may sound unappreciative, which quite frankly is not uniquely an English trait.

Hate the EPL all you want, that is ok, but to categorically state that it does not encourage skill is something I disagree with.
You are both correct.
In the EPL, there's no room to demonstrate your skill like in Spain. How C Ron is able to even showboat defies logic.

There's more skill on display in Spain, however their defending is atrocious.

Globes - there are very few players in the PL with 'skill' as we know it. Those who have it are not given the opportunity to show it
...And those who try to show it don't even have it in the first place... :lol: :lol:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I only watch select EPL games.. It aint all bad.. :-)
green4life wrote:
lagos777 wrote:
No mind Yujam... tho he will tell you it's for other football programs. If you hate EPL, do not get Setanta cuz not only do you get the EPL games, you also get some ChelseaTv and ManUTv programs. For an EPL fan like myself, Setanta is like mana from heaven. Lovely.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Sir Cristao wrote:The mere definition of skill on this board demonstrates to me that knowledge of football is minimal ..

The below are skills. It makes me laugh when I hear peeps say skills and they mean only dribbling. Kpele na only dribbling dey win games abi.

Passing, Long Shots, Finishing (i.e. shooting from short range), Movement off the ball, Ball Control, Tackling, Anticipation, Set Pieces, Creativity or Vision, Heading, Decision making and so on and so forth.

Those are skills. If you say the EPL aint got that - na your wahala be that. For me it can match up right there with the best of them. It is not as if every club in the EPL plays the same style of football. You have your hasslers, your smooth teams, your machines and your open leg for everybody teams.
I just dey scratch my head too. If Brazil play with SPEED and POWER and demolish a less athletic and physical team playing short, intricate passes and depending a whole lot on possession but is lacking when they lose the ball people appreciate because it's Brazil. But that is also the style of play predominantly in the EPL. Incidentally, Nigeria and most subsaharan teams at their best play this sort of Athletic power soccer that overpowers opponents - Nigeria '94, Caneroon '90 and Senegal '04. This whole thing smacks of low grade neocolonialism. Guys Spain had colonies too. Haba!!

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

shakakaka wrote:Globero and especially the Waffler, where is your evidence that your great colonialist EPL encorages skill! Where is the evidence?

Ask George Weah which out of the three European leagues he played in, which one discouraged skill and we all know which one he would say. This is coming from a player who is 1,000,000 X better than the Weah wannabe Drogba.

EPL is more popular in the US (even though this popularity does touch the home grown sports), than other leagues simply because of the English language and the fact they are W.A.S.P nations. This is also apparent in the current Beckham attempting to break America joke of a situation.

I could use the same analogy in regards to S.American nations prefering La Liga..it's just that these are poorer countries.

I continously fail to see why in the past three to four years why many African players want to play in this most unskillfull, overplayed league and most importantly is the one league which shows the most detriment to the Nations Cup when that starts in January.

Tell me this, why is it if you were to ask the average English bloke on the street who was the greatest Priemier League (this current league system) player of all time, they will instently say it is the lack of a dribbling player, Alan Shearer!!!KPOM

theshak
My Guy, first of all, why do I have to produce evidence for a comment I never made ?
Secondly, why is it so hard for people to comprehend the crux of this discourse ?

Statement made by Yujam concerning EPL : "The style of play does'nt encourage skill or finesse"
My response : " .... Yujam, I state that is not true"

All your comments about Alan Shearer or George Weah or even the popularity of the EPL in USA has no bearing whatsoever on this simplistic interchange of opinion vs fact !

Again, I care less about anybody's opinion of the EPL esp as to whether it is the worst league in the world or not. All I refuse to agree with is the belief that the league does'nt encourage talents like Cristiano Ronaldo, Tevez, Fabregas, Berbatov or Henry from exhibiting their skill or even becoming much better at it ! :evil:

... Arsenal for life ! :D
Last edited by Globero on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

I just dey scratch my head for some of una for this thread.... Especially the guys using and miss using/abusing the word "Skill"... Please someone should define what skill is and what you can attribute it to.....

The only impression i get when i read skill na say u have to know how to dribble to be regarded as skillful and that is rubbish...... If dribbling na the only yardstick to judge if a player get skill or not then its a pity... Hence the likes of Ruud, diarra, emerson, zambrotta, carrick, and a host of other players must lack any skills.....

In the same analogy of skill = dribbling, NBA no dey encourage skill... If you wan dribbling for NBA go watch AND1 games with skip to my loop them......

So those listed below no be skill..... :idea: :idea: :idea:
Heading
passing
first touch
shooting
tackling
e.t.c

So if i need a skillful CB, i must go find one way sabi dribble but cannot head or tackle to save his life..... :?: :?: :?:

Also if you will make wild accusations that EPL no dey encourage skill, then where your proof dey.....
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

EPL is all about MARKETING! ...It is a well marketed product.

When it comes to ball skills, they on par with the scandinavian, Australian leagues...

I for one am glad of the influx of non british players to the league...It makes the league more entertaining... Regarding our players, stongly believe that our players though are better footballers for it, seem to lose their creativity and confidence playing in the EPL.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

How many African teams have beaten England on any level? ZERO! If they don't have technique then what does that say about African teams?

How many African teams have won the WC or even reached the semi's? ZERO!

Killa is always on about the Prem and its lack of quality, how many Ghanaians have ever made an impact in the PREM? Essien and Yeboah, the rest struggle yet yall talking about lack of quality.

Laliga has quality right? How many times have Spain won the WC? What do they do on an International level that even remotely suggests as to the percieved quality of their League?

I'm not saying that the Premiership is the best League in the World but a lot of you peeps on about its lack of technique and flair are in Lala land. England will whoop 99% of African teams including yeye Spain 99% of the time.
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

airwolex wrote:How many African teams have beaten England on any level? ZERO! If they don't have technique then what does that say about African teams?

Killa is always on about the Prem and its lack of quality, how many Ghanaians have ever made an impact in the PREM? Essien and Yeboah, the rest struggle yet yall talking about lack of quality.

Laliga has quality right? How many times have Spain won the WC? What do they do on an International level that even remotely suggests as to the percieved quality of their League?

I'm not saying that the Premiership is the best League in the World but a lot of you peeps on about its lack of technique and flair are in Lala land. England will whoop 99% of African teams including yeye Spain 99% of the time.
Dude what are you talking about....What the heck does league quality have to do with international football....If we use international football teams to judge leagues, the best leagues would be like Brazilian league, German league, the leagues in Argentina, France, etc...

What the heck does what African teams do in the world cup have to do with any leagues...

Spain are underachievers like England in world football but that don't mean crap, because England won one fluke world cup it means the have the best league, Spain has also won the Euros...

Please go and check what happened the last time Spain met England at Old Trafford...

I don't understand your thought process.... :lol:

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Uh huh. And when was the last time England beat Spain? England have had difficulty with African teams.. How many draws? :lol:
airwolex wrote:How many African teams have beaten England on any level? ZERO! If they don't have technique then what does that say about African teams?

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

England vs Morocco 96 WC 0 all

England vs Cameroon pre-2002 WC - Last min Sheringham equalizer

England 0 vs Nigeria 0 WC 2002

Conclusion: They aint all that.. They've struggled with African teams..
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I don't understand your thought process....
We've had this arguement many times in the past.

When I point to the succes of British teams in the Champions League and UEFA cups you say one thing.

When I point to the fact that England isn't really a bad international team and is more succesful than Spain you say you don't understand.

It is better you then keep quiet then as this is nothing but bad belle. No matter how you dice it, all pointers are that the Prem is one of the top three Leagues in the World on any level.

Yujam,

Fact is that England has not been beaten by any African teams. I dont like them myself but the truth is the truth. If they are so bad and their league lacks technique how come they are heads and shoulders better than 99% of African teams which I know you rate?