Is The Premiership Really That Good?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ganja
Egg
Egg

Post by Ganja »

YUJAM wrote:Absolutely true bro. A league in which football is a 100mph game cannot possibly encourage skill. Anyone who dwells on the ball in the EPL will be murdered by the crazy Englishmen that play in that league..

If you want to skill look at France, Spain, S America and the African leagues.

Globero wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Skill? I think you are looking in the wrong place? The EPL does not encourage skill..
Not true ! :roll:
I guess you've determined skill to only encompass dribbling abi...No wonder, thats quite myopic of you to assume that people running with the ball at full flight, having little time to think and execute no be skill. You think say just standing around having the time to fix your hair and all that rubbish automatically translates into skill.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

As I have had reason to inform you in the past, there is far more to football than the EPL. You can market a product successfully because it is a good product, or because you have clever marketers....

The EPL has always been widely followed, thanks largely to the BBC..It simply has been afforded a strong foundation from which to expand in a media age.

But quality, it has never been; just quantity...

green4life wrote:Txj, I think it's a question for the likes of you & yujam to answer given that people typically put their money where their mouth is. Honestly, I only monitor 2 leagues: (1) EPL and (2) La Liga. That's my order. However, I believe EPL is #1 (in terms of success) due to a combo of signing big stars and expanding their marketing to the lucrative USA market better than other leagues. For instance, I'm kicking out an extra $15 per month for setanta mainly due to EPL.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

tfco wrote:
Globero wrote:
YUJAM wrote:The style of play doesn't encourage skill or finesse. Plus the fans who love the bim bam stuck in style of football do not appreciate dwelling on the ball.
Again Yujam, I state that is not true.

What you define as dwelling on the ball is not anyless of what agitates MOST fans worldwide especially if such "showboating" is not purposeful.

Purposeful football is appreciated by EPL fans. Skilfull players that ply their trade in England learn to adapt to the speed as well. Its the idea of dribbling 5 players with no end result that may sound unappreciative, which quite frankly is not uniquely an English trait.

Hate the EPL all you want, that is ok, but to categorically state that it does not encourage skill is something I disagree with.
You are both correct.
In the EPL, there's no room to demonstrate your skill like in Spain. How C Ron is able to even showboat defies logic.

There's more skill on display in Spain, however their defending is atrocious.

Globes - there are very few players in the PL with 'skill' as we know it. Those who have it are not given the opportunity to show it
tfco,

* are there more skillful players in La Liga than in EPL ? Yes !
* does the EPL continue to intigrate foreign nationals into their league ? Yes
* do the skillful players we have come to know in the Epl especially the foreigners play short of their potential because of the league itself ? I doubt it - JMO is not an example to use for anyone that tries because Chelsea's pattern of play is not typical to the English nor is his coach English either.

The EPL, simply makes you less of a lazy player esp for those we came to know as skillful, and more of a total player. When Okocha played for Bolton, his job was to combine the pace of the league with a more purposeful approach to his dribbles. Indeed there are some teams that will play kick and follow footie, but for any skilful playmaker within a team, chances are he would have more balls come his way as oppose to the balls going over him. It is in the absence of such players that certain teams may just keep booting the ball, but to say they discourage skillful players within the team working their way through the midfield towards goal is something I disagree with !
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Not really. Skill involves dribbus, three and four man attacking combos. Skill is what makes the game beautiful which the EPL is not!
Ganja wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Absolutely true bro. A league in which football is a 100mph game cannot possibly encourage skill. Anyone who dwells on the ball in the EPL will be murdered by the crazy Englishmen that play in that league..

If you want to skill look at France, Spain, S America and the African leagues.

Globero wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Skill? I think you are looking in the wrong place? The EPL does not encourage skill..
Not true ! :roll:
I guess you've determined skill to only encompass dribbling abi...No wonder, thats quite myopic of you to assume that people running with the ball at full flight, having little time to think and execute no be skill. You think say just standing around having the time to fix your hair and all that rubbish automatically translates into skill.
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Spanish Liga:: Just flair and better ball skills/ ball movement...

English league:: Speed, agility, physical play....

But to say EPL discourages skill is absolute rubbish.... except you can prove it....

For me, i absolutely love the EPL... I like the end to end stuff which is alot of andrenaline rush...

none is head and shoulders above the other... If you dey find goals, last season stats says the german and french league is what you will be looking for......

Those that love la liga are fans of Joga bonito... Those that love EPL, prefer pace and physical play.....

To cut the long story short, EPL will never play like La Liga and La liga will never play like EPL....
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Hmmmm.. not sure if that quote holds. some things are just plain ugly ;-)
analyzer wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Spanish Liga:: Just flair and better ball skills/ ball movement...

English league:: Speed, agility, physical play....

But to say EPL discourages skill is absolute rubbish.... except you can prove it....

For me, i absolutely love the EPL... I like the end to end stuff which is alot of andrenaline rush...

none is head and shoulders above the other... If you dey find goals, last season stats says the german and french league is what you will be looking for......

Those that love la liga are fans of Joga bonito... Those that love EPL, prefer pace and physical play.....

To cut the long story short, EPL will never play like La Liga and La liga will never play like EPL....
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

The only thing the EPL has over other leagues is viewership and money...
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

Pep Guardiola To Barca Before CL Final
tendai101
Egg
Egg

Post by tendai101 »

Love the EPL all you want but you cant deny it doesnt encourage personal skill.

Only today one of their former big names was on sky ranting and raving on the level of the english youth which he termed poor and he said its widely recognised the problem english players arent so succesful is because the set up (meaning league etc) doesnt encourage personal skill, results are only consideration and he says contrary to what people think, its a new thing because old players in the EPL exhibited skills and he gave examples which i knew, your waddles, keegans etc
The wise speak when they have something to say,
fools speak when they have to say something.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Its our business to stir it up
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Is the EPL really that good? That's almost like asking whether Demolition derby is a good sport.

Good at what? Marketing the product? If so, it's peerless. On field endeavour? Yes, it is that good. If the EPL was all smoke and mirrors or lacking in quality then people would lose interest quickly.

But undoubtedly, television coverage and the "product" have been crucial in selling the "brand" to a global audience.

One could even argue that comparisons with the Spanish Liga et al. are trite when you consider the EPL's global viewing figures are unrivaled by any other sport. Football is a spectacle, a spectator sport, and ultimately people will pay good money to be entertained.

And back to Demolition derby.. people don't watch it to admire vintage Chryslers or SUVs.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
tendai101
Egg
Egg

Post by tendai101 »

A wise man once remarked "sometimes a majority simply means all the fools are on one side" :P :P :P :P

Viewership dont make it best league

Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

tendai101 wrote:A wise man once remarked "sometimes a majority simply means all the fools are on one side" :P :P :P :P

That's what we've been hearing...Everyone is watching it so it must be the best... :lol:
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

tendai101 wrote:A wise man once remarked "sometimes a majority simply means all the fools are on one side" :P :P :P :P

We can't hear you when you mumble. Speak up.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Killa Adjei wrote:

That's what we've been hearing...Everyone is watching it so it must be the best... :lol:
As I said in my earlier post.. the best at what? The best marketed? Undoubtedly. People watch sport, and indeed football, for a variety of reasons. The EPL offers the drama, hyperbole, and much else which other leagues don't provide. And any technical shortfalls on the pitch between the EPL teams and other leagues, namely Spanish and Italian, is minimal. In fact it's non-existent at the highest level. Bear in mind, your average fan isn't a txj type who is interested in the subtle nuances of tactics, strategies and percentages. Your average fan wants his/her team to win and to be entertained. And the EPL offers the best entertainment package.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

YeyeMan v5.5 wrote:
Killa Adjei wrote:

As I said in my earlier post.. the best at what? The best marketed? Undoubtedly. People watch sport, and indeed football, for a variety of reasons. The EPL offers the drama, hyperbole, and much else which other leagues don't provide. And any technical shortfalls on the pitch between the EPL teams and other leagues, namely Spanish and Italian, is minimal. In fact it's non-existent at the highest level. Bear in mind, your average fan isn't a txj type who is interested in the subtle nuances of tactics, strategies and percentages. Your average fan wants his/her team to win and to be entertained. And the EPL offers the best entertainment package.
Excellent point...The EPL has its strengths, the other leagues have theirs...

analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

tendai101 wrote:Love the EPL all you want but you cant deny it doesnt encourage personal skill.
I am lost.... What personal skills are you referring to.. is it the skill of passing, shooting, dribbling, marking, tackling.... What personal skills...

So which players have come to the EPL and their skills did not develope.. Is it C-ron, Ruud, Berbatov, lennon, Drogba, Arteta, Cahill and many more....

It only encourages the personal skill that makes you a star in that league... A kid like Messi will be a star in the EPL simply cos he has the pace, ball control and finishing..... While someone like Requilme will be lost in the EPL cos he will be closed down so quickly before he can even look up to make a pass.....

Like Killa said, the EPL have its stregths and weaknesses and likewise other leagues....

At the end of the day it all boils down to the spectators and what they like to see......
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
tendai101
Egg
Egg

Post by tendai101 »

analyzer wrote:
tendai101 wrote:Love the EPL all you want but you cant deny it doesnt encourage personal skill.
I am lost.... What personal skills are you referring to.. is it the skill of passing, shooting, dribbling, marking, tackling.... What personal skills...

So which players have come to the EPL and their skills did not develope.. Is it C-ron, Ruud, Berbatov, lennon, Drogba, Arteta, Cahill and many more....

It only encourages the personal skill that makes you a star in that league... A kid like Messi will be a star in the EPL simply cos he has the pace, ball control and finishing..... While someone like Requilme will be lost in the EPL cos he will be closed down so quickly before he can even look up to make a pass.....

Like Killa said, the EPL have its stregths and weaknesses and likewise other leagues....

At the end of the day it all boils down to the spectators and what they like to see......
The guy on telly called it on the ball skills he also used the phrase dwelling on the ball, basically dribbling 8-)

Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

analyzer wrote:

At the end of the day it all boils down to the spectators and what they like to see.
analyzer, God bless you. Like I said earlier, it is inappropriate to say the league discourages the development of personal skill. Skill and pace are assets that triumphs the shortcomings of virtually ALL leagues as a dose of both in the right combo brings out the best in the best players.
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
shakakaka
Egg
Egg

Post by shakakaka »

Globero and especially the Waffler, where is your evidence that your great colonialist EPL encorages skill! Where is the evidence?

Ask George Weah which out of the three European leagues he played in, which one discouraged skill and we all know which one he would say. This is coming from a player who is 1,000,000 X better than the Weah wannabe Drogba.

EPL is more popular in the US (even though this popularity does touch the home grown sports), than other leagues simply because of the English language and the fact they are W.A.S.P nations. This is also apparent in the current Beckham attempting to break America joke of a situation.

I could use the same analogy in regards to S.American nations prefering La Liga..it's just that these are poorer countries.

I continously fail to see why in the past three to four years why many African players want to play in this most unskillfull, overplayed league and most importantly is the one league which shows the most detriment to the Nations Cup when that starts in January.

Tell me this, why is it if you were to ask the average English bloke on the street who was the greatest Priemier League (this current league system) player of all time, they will instently say it is the lack of a dribbling player, Alan Shearer!!!KPOM

theshak
shakakaka
Egg
Egg

Post by shakakaka »

..Let me add how many, HOW MANY mad skilled English players have attracted the likes of Barcelona, R. Madrid, Milan, Inter, B.Munich, etc...And colonialist lovers do not tell me that with great wages in the EPL, there is no reason for these English dribblers to move away and get some LACKING CULTURE!

I forgot to state in my previous post that I do know why a lot of African players want to play in the EPL and that is simply money, not because of the great weather :roll: or English roses :roll: and HELL NOT for the skill that it puts emphasis on :roll: :roll: :roll:

theshak
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

shakakaka wrote:..Let me add how many, HOW MANY mad skilled English players have attracted the likes of Barcelona, R. Madrid, Milan, Inter, B.Munich, etc...And colonialist lovers do not tell me that with great wages in the EPL, there is no reason for these English dribblers to move away and get some LACKING CULTURE!

I forgot to state in my previous post that I do know why a lot of African players want to play in the EPL and that is simply money, not because of the great weather :roll: or English roses :roll: and HELL NOT for the skill that it puts emphasis on :roll: :roll: :roll:

theshak
That is the basic mistake most of you make. You are still living in the past.
You equate the EPL to mean English league.
Go and check the nationality of most players in the top teams and in the league and see if they are english. And with all the so called spanish skillful players and league, what have they won in international football. England have atleast won the world cup once and the european cup. What has spain won with their supposely superior league and players?
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
shakakaka
Egg
Egg

Post by shakakaka »

Talk IT wrote:
shakakaka wrote:..Let me add how many, HOW MANY mad skilled English players have attracted the likes of Barcelona, R. Madrid, Milan, Inter, B.Munich, etc...And colonialist lovers do not tell me that with great wages in the EPL, there is no reason for these English dribblers to move away and get some LACKING CULTURE!

theshak
Go and check the nationality of most players in the top teams and in the league and see if they are english. And with all the so called spanish skillful players and league, what have they won in international football. England have atleast won the world cup once and the european cup. What has spain won with their supposely superior league and players?
..so you answer is none then...of course I understand there are many foriegn players in that league...however the BSkyB's othis world have been saying the league is the best since it started and how the likes of Shearer (FYI, an Englsh player) are the greatest. And this without even looking at the La ligas of this world!
shakakaka
Egg
Egg

Post by shakakaka »

Talk IT wrote:

theshak
Well I could also add that the Spanish league comprises many foreigners from countries which have one the World Cup more than once and more recent than 1966 :roll:

theshak
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

The mere definition of skill on this board demonstrates to me that knowledge of football is minimal ..

The below are skills. It makes me laugh when I hear peeps say skills and they mean only dribbling. Kpele na only dribbling dey win games abi.

Passing, Long Shots, Finishing (i.e. shooting from short range), Movement off the ball, Ball Control, Tackling, Anticipation, Set Pieces, Creativity or Vision, Heading, Decision making and so on and so forth.

Those are skills. If you say the EPL aint got that - na your wahala be that. For me it can match up right there with the best of them. It is not as if every club in the EPL plays the same style of football. You have your hasslers, your smooth teams, your machines and your open leg for everybody teams.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8