Is The Premiership Really That Good?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is The Premiership Really That Good?

Post by txj »

...................... or just part of BSkyB's successful marketing?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx ... oId=376399
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

i believe game play in the EPL is the poorest of the top 3 or top 4 leagues, raw talent and skill on the ball is also the poorest if compared to the other top leagues.

however EPl offers more end to end action meaning more chances on goal its also a fast paced league and all these are more appealling to the modern day fan (so i am made to believe) hence their high rankings
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Is The Premiership Really That Good?

Post by tfco »

txj wrote:...................... or just part of BSkyB's successful marketing?

That's all it is.
TBH, the quality of football is atrocious outside the top 6, but the packaging of the league is the best in the world.

If La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Bundesliga had half of the packaging /marketing savvy of the EPL, I'd switch in a heartbeat

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

Well written article, he speaks the truth...
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

Pep Guardiola To Barca Before CL Final
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Txj, I think it's a question for the likes of you & yujam to answer given that people typically put their money where their mouth is. Honestly, I only monitor 2 leagues: (1) EPL and (2) La Liga. That's my order. However, I believe EPL is #1 (in terms of success) due to a combo of signing big stars and expanding their marketing to the lucrative USA market better than other leagues. For instance, I'm kicking out an extra $15 per month for setanta mainly due to EPL.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

tfco wrote:

That's all it is.
TBH, the quality of football is atrocious outside the top 6, but the packaging of the league is the best in the world.

If La Liga, Ligue 1, Serie A, Bundesliga had half of the packaging /marketing savvy of the EPL, I'd switch in a heartbeat
That's the same in all the leagues, no? I think our preferred brand of football as africans is what obtains in South America. If you want sheer entertainment and skills, watch the likes of River Plate and Boca Juniors play. Players there would even pass the ball with their butt. What's more, they beat useless referees too. :lol: Their derbies are very entertaining. Not just about winning, but also winning in style, it's war and the authorities led by the ref cannot afford to mess up. The more useless you make your worst rival look, the better. For you it's the most important game of the season. I don't watch their leagues as much but try to watch the derbies, not even necessarily the top teams. The european leagues have a lot of textbook football in them.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

On another note, it seems the Bundesliga is going down. Gone are the days of those great teams, leverkusen, Borussia Dortmond, Bayern Munchen etc. They had some top players with very good football. I remember some of the best European nights were in Germany. Me thinks they'll soon be like the french lique 1 and probably get overtaken.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

I will not even bother reading that Goal.com article because it will be a biased piece of nonsense from a wesite known for its anti-English bull. These guys are all jealous of the EPL's success, they it is not the EPL's fault, it is the fault of the other leagues for throwing away their advantage. The English clubs were banned from europe for years and the other league jumped ahead but these leagues got complacent and have been overtaken by the EPL.

They are so jealous, they went to the EU saying the EPL was monopolistic, they hoped competition to Sky would drive the price down. What it ended uo doing was to make it even richer with a stupendous mega deal from Sky and its competitors. You must make sure you have a product and the EPL has what the people want, hence why they are numero uno.

I remember, when I had cable TV just to watch Italian football, they had all the best players and they were the league but even then, you could tell Serie A was fixed and corrupt. Today, I will not pay a farthin to watch Serie A.

The EPL is what it is today because of the product. You can market a brand for as much as you like, if the product is defective people will find out eventually, and walk away.

For over 10 years now, the EPL is what people pay to watch. In Naija and all of Africa, it is now the league of choice, all over Asia (at least I know from personal experience of visiting some Asian countires) it is number one.

The EPL has improved immensely technically as better coaches and footballers have come into the game, I have been watching football live in England for over 15 years and I have seen first hand IMPROVEMENTS ON AND OFF THE PITCH. For example, I have seen how the speed and technique of the players have improved immensely, whilst keeping the other qualities that make the game very attractive in England.

Qualities, such as passion, fans in packed stadia, atmosphere, the speed, the physical nature of the football, the gladiatoral nature of the contests, honesty, a culture opposed to cheating of any kind etc. etc. are some of the things that make it so exciting and attractive. This is not Serie A where drugs and match fixing are the order of the day. This is not La Liga where cheating and paying off teams to try harder to win games are the order of the day. The EPL is raw and is honest.

The fact is people pay their hard earned money to watch the EPL above any other league. We all have our personal preferences, but the pure hard fact is, the huge majority want to watch and support teams in the EPL, I do not think these people are wrong, at the end of the day, the EPL in the league of choice of the global village. This fact is there for all to see with the mega bucks the TV companies are willing to pay for the rights to these league.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

felarey wrote:
tfco wrote:

That's all it is.

That's the same in all the leagues, no? I think our preferred brand of football as africans is what obtains in South America. If you want sheer entertainment and skills, watch the likes of River Plate and Boca Juniors play. Players there would even pass the ball with their butt. What's more, they beat useless referees too. :lol: Their derbies are very entertaining. Not just about winning, but also winning in style, it's war and the authorities led by the ref cannot afford to mess up. The more useless you make your worst rival look, the better. For you it's the most important game of the season. I don't watch their leagues as much but try to watch the derbies, not even necessarily the top teams. The european leagues have a lot of textbook football in them.
absolutely true man their derbies are better than that in the European leagues. End to end action lots of skill, power infact its got it all. unfortunately they are usually marred by sending offs but that still doesnt gaurantee victory for the other team.

For those who havent watched any derby try to catch one and i bet u wouldnt regret. But as a whole their leagues cant compare with the top dogs
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I watch some EPL games. Like G4L, I'll get Setanta this season. However, I take advantage of all the football I get.

For example, I think the German league is very underrated when in fact some of their league games offer top level entertainment. They play disciplined and tactical football plus the stadiums are always filled to capacity. GOL TV packages the game very well too.

I watch the French league too simply because it is one of the premier stages for African talent. There is something to be said about the raw talent on stage in this league.. The fact they continue to make big money off EPL teams is testament to the culture of nurturing talent in French league. There is something to be said about this.

The Italian league which will be exclusively carried by FSC this season has lost its entertainment value over the past few years. I recall it being much more exciting in the early to mid 90s when the likes of Zidane and Weah were there. Maybe it has become more defensive.. But no one can accuse the Italians of not knowing how to play the game. Their games - Milan vs Inter for expl - can be the best. Yet I'd rather watch paint dry than watch Cagliari vs Lazio game.

The EPL. For some folks, it is the league. I don't think so. Given some games are interesting to watch but a great part of this league is just bim, bam football characterized by the ball being bashed upfield and a crazy hoarde of Englishmen murderously chasing the ball upfield. It is akin to listening to head banger music that involves macabre dances and actions.

La Liga is the best from a purists perspective. Those who love the beautiful game will love this league. The passing is lovely, combination moves that include multiple players are encouraged, dribbling and killer moves are plentiful. Watching La Liga is like listening to classical music accompanied by a lovely coordinated dance. It is simply the best
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Post by phantomjournalist »

What trite and utter nonsense.

One of the author's main points is that there isn't any parity in the EPL. So with that kind of hackneyed logic, you'd expect the MLS to be the best league in the world, right? What kind of bombastic reasoning is this?

The EPL isn't the best league in the World you say? Then how did they manage to occupy 3 of the 4 semi-final spots in the Champions League this year? I wonder...
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

bonecrusher wrote:
felarey wrote:
tfco wrote:

That's all it is.

absolutely true man their derbies are better than that in the European leagues. End to end action lots of skill, power infact its got it all. unfortunately they are usually marred by sending offs but that still doesnt gaurantee victory for the other team.

For those who havent watched any derby try to catch one and i bet u wouldnt regret. But as a whole their leagues cant compare with the top dogs
Apart from rivalry at club and fan levels, there's also rivalry amongst the players hence players get booked often due to acts resulting from frustration.

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

YUJAM wrote:I watch some EPL games. Like G4L, I'll get Setanta this season. However, I take advantage of all the football I get.

For example, I think the German league is very underrated when in fact some of their league games offer top level entertainment. They play disciplined and tactical football plus the stadiums are always filled to capacity. GOL TV packages the game very well too.

I watch the French league too simply because it is one of the premier stages for African talent. There is something to be said about the raw talent on stage in this league.. The fact they continue to make big money off EPL teams is testament to the culture of nurturing talent in French league. There is something to be said about this.

The Italian league which will be exclusively carried by FSC this season has lost its entertainment value over the past few years. I recall it being much more exciting in the early to mid 90s when the likes of Zidane and Weah were there. Maybe it has become more defensive.. But no one can accuse the Italians of not knowing how to play the game. Their games - Milan vs Inter for expl - can be the best. Yet I'd rather watch paint dry than watch Cagliari vs Lazio game.

The EPL. For some folks, it is the league. I don't think so. Given some games are interesting to watch but a great part of this league is just bim, bam football characterized by the ball being bashed upfield and a crazy hoarde of Englishmen murderously chasing the ball upfield. It is akin to listening to head banger music that involves macabre dances and actions.

La Liga is the best from a purists perspective. Those who love the beautiful game will love this league. The passing is lovely, combination moves that include multiple players are encouraged, dribbling and killer moves are plentiful. Watching La Liga is like listening to classical music accompanied by a lovely coordinated dance. It is simply the best
If I want tactical discipline, I'll go watch chess. For drama, skill, pace and power, I watch the premier league.
ps english players barely make up half of the premier league
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Skill? I think you are looking in the wrong place? The EPL does not encourage skill..
toyin133 wrote:
YUJAM wrote:I watch some EPL games. Like G4L, I'll get Setanta this season. However, I take advantage of all the football I get.

If I want tactical discipline, I'll go watch chess. For drama, skill, pace and power, I watch the premier league.
ps english players barely make up half of the premier league
Unisol
Egg
Egg

Post by Unisol »

There is some truth to the article
Go Super Eagles - We taught the world to play Soccer.
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

YUJAM wrote:Skill? I think you are looking in the wrong place? The EPL does not encourage skill..
Not true ! :roll:
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Absolutely true bro. A league in which football is a 100mph game cannot possibly encourage skill. Anyone who dwells on the ball in the EPL will be murdered by the crazy Englishmen that play in that league..

If you want to skill look at France, Spain, S America and the African leagues.

Globero wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Skill? I think you are looking in the wrong place? The EPL does not encourage skill..
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

YUJAM wrote:Absolutely true bro. A league in which football is a 100mph game cannot possibly encourage skill. Anyone who dwells on the ball in the EPL will be murdered by the crazy Englishmen that play in that league..

Globero wrote:
First and foremost, you talk about speed as if the leagues in the above named countries are devoid of it. Secondly many talented and skillful players adapt to the EPL and fairly enough some do not. The case of using speed and skill is an asset which even some national teams use let alone the EPL. This same issue of speed is what caught the Argentines flatfooted everytime Brazil used a "SPEEDY" counteratacking move to destroy them. Barcelona uses speed to its advantage just as well as skill as do many of the Spanish teams.

I do not debate about which league is the best ( as I have come to the conclusion that everyone has a preference and all I care about is entertaining football be it MLS, Apertura, Bundesliga or La Liga ), however to categorically state that the EPL does not encourage skill defies the logic behind why players like Kanu, Tevez, JMO or even Essien have any business being there !
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

phantomjournalist wrote:What trite and utter nonsense.

One of the author's main points is that there isn't any parity in the EPL. So with that kind of hackneyed logic, you'd expect the MLS to be the best league in the world, right? What kind of bombastic reasoning is this?

The EPL isn't the best league in the World you say? Then how did they manage to occupy 3 of the 4 semi-final spots in the Champions League this year? I wonder...
And how many trophies did they win from the 3 semi final spots...You think other leagues haven't gotten 3 teams into the semis but these leagues managed to win a trophy.. :lol:
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

Pep Guardiola To Barca Before CL Final
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

Killa Adjei wrote:
phantomjournalist wrote:What trite and utter nonsense.

And how many trophies did they win from the 3 semi final spots...You think other leagues haven't gotten 3 teams into the semis but these leagues managed to win a trophy.. :lol:
I beg KA, for the sake of sanity, lets not get into that crazy debate again. I saw that comment and was like here we go again ! :cry:
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

The style of play doesn't encourage skill or finesse. Plus the fans who love the bim bam stuck in style of football do not appreciate dwelling on the ball.

When was the last time the EPL produced a world player of the year? It is no wonder most skillful players in the world - the Brazilians - avoid the EPL like the plague for the most part..

EPL and skillful football should never be mentioned in the same sentence!
Globero wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Absolutely true bro. A league in which football is a 100mph game cannot possibly encourage skill. Anyone who dwells on the ball in the EPL will be murdered by the crazy Englishmen that play in that league..

Globero wrote:
First and foremost, you talk about speed as if the leagues in the above named countries are devoid of it. Secondly many talented and skillful players adapt to the EPL and fairly enough some do not. The case of using speed and skill is an asset which even some national teams use let alone the EPL. This same issue of speed is what caught the Argentines flatfooted everytime Brazil used a "SPEEDY" counteratacking move to destroy them. Barcelona uses speed to its advantage just as well as skill as do many of the Spanish teams.

I do not debate about which league is the best ( as I have come to the conclusion that everyone has a preference and all I care about is entertaining football be it MLS, Apertura, Bundesliga or La Liga ), however to categorically state that the EPL does not encourage skill defies the logic behind why players like Kanu, Tevez, JMO or even Essien have any business being there !
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

YUJAM wrote:The style of play doesn't encourage skill or finesse. Plus the fans who love the bim bam stuck in style of football do not appreciate dwelling on the ball.
Again Yujam, I state that is not true.

What you define as dwelling on the ball is not anyless of what agitates MOST fans worldwide especially if such "showboating" is not purposeful.

Purposeful football is appreciated by EPL fans. Skilfull players that ply their trade in England learn to adapt to the speed as well. Its the idea of dribbling 5 players with no end result that may sound unappreciative, which quite frankly is not uniquely an English trait.

Hate the EPL all you want, that is ok, but to categorically state that it does not encourage skill is something I disagree with.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Globero wrote:
YUJAM wrote:The style of play doesn't encourage skill or finesse. Plus the fans who love the bim bam stuck in style of football do not appreciate dwelling on the ball.
Again Yujam, I state that is not true.

What you define as dwelling on the ball is not anyless of what agitates MOST fans worldwide especially if such "showboating" is not purposeful.

Purposeful football is appreciated by EPL fans. Skilfull players that ply their trade in England learn to adapt to the speed as well. Its the idea of dribbling 5 players with no end result that may sound unappreciative, which quite frankly is not uniquely an English trait.

Hate the EPL all you want, that is ok, but to categorically state that it does not encourage skill is something I disagree with.
You are both correct.
In the EPL, there's no room to demonstrate your skill like in Spain. How C Ron is able to even showboat defies logic.

There's more skill on display in Spain, however their defending is atrocious.

Globes - there are very few players in the PL with 'skill' as we know it. Those who have it are not given the opportunity to show it

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf: