Mabo calls up 45, drops Omagbemi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ikwerreman
Egg
Egg
Mabo calls up 45, drops Omagbemi

Post by ikwerreman »

http://www.punchng.com/sports/article12

Coach of the Super Falcons, Ismaila Mabo, has called up 45 players in preparation for the Olympic qualifier against Ghana next month.

The name of the Captain, Florence Omagbemi, was conspicuously missing from the list of 39 home-based and six foreign-based players approved on Monday by the Secretary-General of the Nigeria Football Association, Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi.

The foreign-based invitees are former African Footballer of the Year, Mercy Akide, Maureen Mmadu, Olaitan Yusuf, Eberechi Opara, Gloria Usieta and Patience Avre.

It was gathered that the NFA Secretariat was initially startled by what was thought to be an omission, but the Head of the Technical Department, Mr. Fanny Amun, was said to have confirmed that what was presented was the authentic list submitted by the coach.

Notable call ups on the list include captain of the 8th All Africa Games gold winning team, Rita Nwadike, Kikelomo Ajayi, Effionwan Ekpo, Stella Mbachu, Perpetua Nkwocha, Yinka Kudaisi, Ann Chiejine, Omon Ighodaro, Ayisat Yusufi, Blessing Igbojionu, Ifeanyi Chiejine and Akudo Sabi.

Others are Precious Dede, Felicia Eze, Elizabeth Johnson, Semola Akinlose, Chizoma Oparaocha, Florence Okwuemu, nkechi Egbe, Victoria Nweze, Vera Okolo, Ogechi Onyenenya, Juliana Ekwerike, Ajuma Ameh, Titilayo Mekuleyi, Saidat Adegoke and Helen Azi.

The list also includes Celestina Onyeka, Rotimi Omonyi, Ruquayat Yunus, Glory Keshi, Martha Abara, Ogbuefi Chizoba, Gift Otuwe, Faith Ikidi, Maurren Eke, Judith Omonikhire, Chima Nwosu and Idoreyin Okon.

The players are expected to report to camp on January 4, 2004 at the Liberty Stadium Hotel, Ibadan.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Nonesense! How can a coach invite 45players to camp in preparation for a match to be played next month.
Last edited by Sir V on Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Wow why was she dropped and what did she do?
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Sir V wrote:Nonesense! How can a coach invite 45players to camp in preparation of a match to be played next month.

No Sir V, it is not nonsense. If it is, then the nonsense should be on the NFA's part.
Ismaila Mabo Submitted this list on the 28th of November.
I was there at Umuahia when he did.
From his program, He wanted camp to on the first of December for the first phase which would have lasted until the 20th of December.
After then a lot of the players would have been decamped and the rest would have resumed on the 5th of December for the final phase before the big match, but the NFA waited one full month to make the list public.
Whi do you blame now Sir V.
See this link
http://nigeriasports.com/300
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

MI5 wrote:Wow why was she dropped and what did she do?

Well, i guess we'll know very soon.
I've been trying to reach MAbo but the lines are just crazy.
I'll call back at night to hear from him why our "Skippo" was dropped.
You'll surely hear.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Thanks IK. If that is the case then i see some names on that team should also be dropped. Skippo is still in top form why?

ikwerreman wrote:

Well, i guess we'll know very soon.
I've been trying to reach MAbo but the lines are just crazy.
I'll call back at night to hear from him why our "Skippo" was dropped.
You'll surely hear.
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Yes, i know skippo is still in top form.
If you ask me, aside form, the only other things that can make a coach drop a player are- discipline and injuries...i guess...like i said, i'll call Mabo later tonight to find out.
MEanwhile, who are those you think should be dropped?
At least i know a bit about female footballers withen and outside the country.
Maybe we could share our thoughts
[/b]
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Thanks IK. Nothing against any of players called and apart from the ones i know and saw especially the new ones that came to the WC'03 the team needs size especially at the back. Having Florence Iweta, and Ifeanyi Chiejiene playing as fullbacks is the wrong choice and it might work against some teams but overall won't work against stronger teams like Sweden, Germany and others who tend to bring and use big players in critical positions within their teams.

The frontline is okay with Mercy and Patience doing what they do best but from what i saw comparing to the team that played in WC'99 the needs size in defence, defensive midfield, central midfield and at least the attack can take care of itself.

Florence still remains a key player to the team and if she is played at her natural central midfield position along with others the team will be solid. Putting her as a sweeper or a central defender will not help much.

One of the problems the team had here in the WC'03 was Effiowan Ekpo was to short and although i like her hussle she didn't have that size to control, keep or control the midfield tight enough. Also to Nkechi Egbe to a fine player with good touches but their height in critical positions in the team was there undoing. Nwokocha instead of playing her as forward i will put her on the wings since she likes to run all the time. To me and still the best combo on the team is Mercy, Patience, Nwadike and Chiejiene coming into support from the left side is what the team should use more..

I don't know much about the other new players and can't really judge them much since i haven't seen them play. But if they are who they say they are i would like to see them tried out in different positions on the team.

Would like to see Olaitan play with Mercy more in the attack because of the depth of experience the frontline has...
Last edited by MI5 on Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

[quote="MI5"]Thanks IK. Nothing against any of players called and apart from the ones i know and saw especially the new ones that came to the WC'03 the team needs size especially at the back. Having Florence Iweta, and Ifeanyi Chiejiene play as fullback is the wrong choice and it might work against certain teams but overall won't work against teams like Sweden, Germany and others who tend to bring and use big players in critical positions within their teams.

For the full backs, Felicia Eze, Celestina Onyeka and Ayi Yusuf were revelations at the All Africa Games, so i guess, we may no longer see Chiejine play as left full back.
Yinka Kudaisi is also back and if you remember she played from right full back in the WWC '99.
In central defence, i have this soft spot for MArtha Abara because of the way she gives 120% each time she is on the pitch. Some how she was dropped at the last minute by erstwhile coach, Sam Okpodu before the WWC 2003. She injured her knee trying to rescue her club, Rivers Angels from the jaws of defeat at the Super Six, saw her last three days ago and she still walked with a slight limp. I sure hope she will be okay by the time the team is ready for camp on the 4th of January. Then there is also Chima Nwosu who was outstanding at the All Africa Games

Florence still remains a key player on the team and if she is played at her natural central midfield position along with others the team will be solid. Putting her as a sweeper or a central defender will not help much.

I agree with you here, and thats why i say it is important we know why she has been dropped. WE can sure do with her experience.

One of the problems the team had here in the WC'03 was Effiowan Ekpo was to short and al though i like her hussle she didn't have that size to control or keep the midfield tight enough. Also to Nkechi Egbe to a fine player with good touches but their height in critical positions in the team was there undoing. Nwokocha instead of playing her as forward i will put her on the wings since she likes to run all the team. To me and still the best combo to the team is Mercy, Patience, Nwadike and Chiejiene coming into support from the left side is what the team shoudl use more..

PErpetual will be a terror on the wings. I like Nkechi Egbe, especially what she does with her size.
I just hope she can translate how she bullies defenders in the Nigerian league to the Olympics qualifiers and the Olympics proper

Would like to see Olaitan play with Mercy more in the attack because of the depth of experience they have...

I'm sure you know Olaitan left for the United states about two weeks ago.
I dont know yet if she has setteled down with life there but she needs to be in top form if she would make MAbo's team. One thing i know about Mabo is that he is a no nonsense man and would drop anyone who does not live up to expectations.
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Just spoke with Mabo. He says Flo has not been dropped per se. He just wants to see some of the new players play her position, but says that she will DEFINITELY (his words) be back for the main tourney, if Nigeria make it.
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

KO,

If Nigeria don't make it, what happens?

We surely need to try new players but the timing must be right.
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:KO,

If Nigeria don't make it, what happens?

We surely need to try new players but the timing must be right.
If Nigeria fails aganst Ghana, no Olympic Games for the Falcons. I really think there is more to this than meets the eye. Mabo sounded sincere when he was talking to me about it, and I know he spoke with Flo as well because she told me that that was the same thing he told her.

I get the feeling he is trying to protect her somehow, becuase both Flo and Mercy are Mabo protegés. And, unlike Mercy, Flo did not have a very good WWC.

He has virtually assured her that if they qualify, she is in the squad, but like you ask, what if (God forbid) they dont?

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

ikwerreman wrote:
Sir V wrote:Nonesense! How can a coach invite 45players to camp in preparation of a match to be played next month.

No Sir V, it is not nonsense. If it is, then the nonsense should be on the NFA's part.
From his program, He wanted camp to on the first of December for the first phase which would have lasted until the 20th of December.
After then a lot of the players would have been decamped and the rest would have resumed on the 5th of December for the final phase before the big match, but the NFA waited one full month to make the list public.
See this link

I always get anoyed when i hear Nfa and our coaches are inviting thousands of players to camp for every match, this shows how disorganised we are.

If we take a look at our national team, you will agree with me that after the WC2002 we have not been able to asemble a formidable squad. In short we do not have a team.

Having said that, Chukwu has invited 42 players to camp , while a team like Tunia has invited 28 to camp that tells you they have a team and at the end of the day only six payers will be de- camped.

In my good old days, camp was a place to be, good food and bonuses were paid in time. Moreover if you were invited to camp you had 80% chances of making the final list.

If you ask me who to blame, I will point my fingers at NFA and our inconpetent coaches who are just there to make money for themselves.
Last edited by Sir V on Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

KickOff Chief,

We just have to wait and see.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Flo and Akide were the only ladies that understood the game based on my judgement. They acquitted themselves very well in the games that I watched. The others were too amateurish, watching them was an eyesore. I just don't see the logic in dropping your best player and hoping to call her back into the team after qualification. Naija people please help me!
...but with God all things are possible...
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Why wouldn't she be dropped? She was the WORST player in the last Women's World Cup. She's past her prime and NEED to go.
I really like this new list that included - Eberechi Oparaku, Yinka Kudaisi, and Rita Nwadike.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Mangy dog ethnic bigot Do you know what position she plays :?:

Are yuo sure you know futbol? Bigot

Cyber Saint wrote:

Why wouldn't she be dropped? She was the WORST player in the last Women's World Cup. She's past her prime and NEED to go.
I really like this new list that included - Eberechi Oparaku, Yinka Kudaisi, and Rita Nwadike.
Last edited by MI5 on Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Thank you very much for the response IK. I just hope Mabo knows what he is doing because Ghana is a formidable foe and are ready for us now especially after winning their first WC game. Dropping Skippo is wrong and uncalled for especially since her experience and style of play is needed to combat the bigger and stronger Ghanian players and don't know how mentally prepared this new players called into camp will do.. If Mabo messes up he is in big trouble and will be ten times worse than Okpodu..

ikwerreman wrote:
MI5 wrote:Thanks IK. Nothing against any of players called and apart from the ones i know and saw especially the new ones that came to the WC'03 the team needs size especially at the back. Having Florence Iweta, and Ifeanyi Chiejiene play as fullback is the wrong choice and it might work against certain teams but overall won't work against teams like Sweden, Germany and others who tend to bring and use big players in critical positions within their teams.

For the full backs, Felicia Eze, Celestina Onyeka and Ayi Yusuf were revelations at the All Africa Games, so i guess, we may no longer see Chiejine play as left full back.
Yinka Kudaisi is also back and if you remember she played from right full back in the WWC '99.
In central defence, i have this soft spot for MArtha Abara because of the way she gives 120% each time she is on the pitch. Some how she was dropped at the last minute by erstwhile coach, Sam Okpodu before the WWC 2003. She injured her knee trying to rescue her club, Rivers Angels from the jaws of defeat at the Super Six, saw her last three days ago and she still walked with a slight limp. I sure hope she will be okay by the time the team is ready for camp on the 4th of January. Then there is also Chima Nwosu who was outstanding at the All Africa Games

Florence still remains a key player on the team and if she is played at her natural central midfield position along with others the team will be solid. Putting her as a sweeper or a central defender will not help much.

I agree with you here, and thats why i say it is important we know why she has been dropped. WE can sure do with her experience.

One of the problems the team had here in the WC'03 was Effiowan Ekpo was to short and al though i like her hussle she didn't have that size to control or keep the midfield tight enough. Also to Nkechi Egbe to a fine player with good touches but their height in critical positions in the team was there undoing. Nwokocha instead of playing her as forward i will put her on the wings since she likes to run all the team. To me and still the best combo to the team is Mercy, Patience, Nwadike and Chiejiene coming into support from the left side is what the team shoudl use more..

PErpetual will be a terror on the wings. I like Nkechi Egbe, especially what she does with her size.
I just hope she can translate how she bullies defenders in the Nigerian league to the Olympics qualifiers and the Olympics proper

Would like to see Olaitan play with Mercy more in the attack because of the depth of experience they have...

I'm sure you know Olaitan left for the United states about two weeks ago.
I dont know yet if she has setteled down with life there but she needs to be in top form if she would make MAbo's team. One thing i know about Mabo is that he is a no nonsense man and would drop anyone who does not live up to expectations.
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Cyber Saint wrote:

CS,
FYI, Rita Nwadike is older than Florence, and maybe I should also inform you that Flo played the entire WWC 03 with a fever after she and other players were given inoculations just days before they were to leave for US. She never really recovered and after that first game, she had to be taken to the clinic for a seven-hour long session.

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Sir V wrote:
ikwerreman wrote:

See this link

I always get anoyed when i hear Nfa and our coaches are inviting thousands of players to camp for every match, this shows how disorganised we are.

If we take a look at our national team, you will agree with me that after the WC2002 we have not been able to asemble a formidable squad. In short we do not have a team.

Having said that, Chukwu has invited 42 players to camp , while a team like Tunia has invited 28 to camp that tells you they have a team and at the end of the day only six payers will be de- camped.

In my good old days, camp was a place to be, good food and bonuses were paid in time. Moreover if you were invited to camp you had 80% chances of making the final list.

If you ask me who to blame, I will point my fingers at NFA and our inconpetent coaches who are just there to make money for themselves.

Sir V,
You have to understand MAbo's point.
There is nothing wrong with inviting 45 players to camp two months before a match, under the circumstances.
Mabo had been out of nigerian female football for three years- he came in and took a team of 22 players to win AAG gold; before then the "First" team had played in the world cup.
Any sensible coach would merge the world cup team with his AAG team as well as a sprinkling of others who may have done well in the league.
An example is Stella Godwin of FCT Queens of Abuja who scored 11 goals in 14 games. You cant ignore such a player- too bad she ended up injured.
The only bad part is that the NFA delayed camping by a month.
I hope you now agree with me, but if you still dont, no wahala