Patrick Viera looks like he has past his peak to me

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Yettycom:
No emotion here. In my view, Viera is a better player than Roy Keane ever was. I simply do not rate his style of play as highly as I rate Viera's over the past few years. U have to understand that having learned the game in Africa, what constitutes a great player might be different from what a Euro trained person regards as a good player.

Mind you, I do have an immense amount of respect for a players like Giggs, Ferdinand, Becks and Scholes on the Manure team. However, in my view, players like Viera are truly special and way better than a Roy Keane!

Sorry sis, but we have to agree to disagree without labeling anyone's views as emotional or biased simply because we disagree!
yettycom wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Chief:
I know you are a Man U fan but for you to say that overrated Roy Keane has achieved more than Vieria is pure madness. Has Roy Keane ever won a WC or a European Championship? I think you'd be better served making that half-baked assertion in a group of Irish Stout drinkers but the type of mentality will get you a pretty serious beatdown in most parts of W Africa. Nonsense! 8)

Not only has Viera achieved more, but he is also a much better footballer. Only a Man U fan would argue otherwise.
I'm not a Man Utd fan but i'll argue that point..... There is no way Viera is a "much better" player than keane especially in his hey days.... Keane was simply breathtaking (annoying it might be) but cant be disputed......
YUJAM wrote:Viera is not a mere shadow of his former self as Ayo suggested. He is older and likely not as rangy or fast as he once was. However, the guy still stands out as one of the best DMs out there period. Guys like Gerrard, Lampard and even Keane are small boys next to Viera!
Like i was saying above... you've got to recognise talent when you see it.... irrespective of the fact that i dislike Manu, i still have great respect for some of their players namely Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville..... all these players have through sheer individual brillance have taken Man U to where they are today.......
so Yujam, dont just argue emotionally, be more logical and factual :P :P
sufferhead
Egg
Egg

Post by sufferhead »

What a load of rubbish........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Na wo for This Ayo man
However, no one will fight for us, that is, for the overwhelming majority, only we will do it. Only we can save humanity ourselves with the support of millions of manual and intellectual workers from the developed nations who are conscious of the catastrophes befalling their peoples. Only we can do it by sowing ideas, building awareness and mobilising global and North American public opinion. No one needs to be told this. You know it very well. Our most sacred duty is to fight, and fight we will.

© Fidel Castro Ruiz 2003
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

YUJAM wrote:Yettycom:
No emotion here. In my view, Viera is a better player than Roy Keane ever was. I simply do not rate his style of play as highly as I rate Viera's over the past few years. U have to understand that having learned the game in Africa, what constitutes a great player might be different from what a Euro trained person regards as a good player.

Mind you, I do have an immense amount of respect for a players like Giggs, Ferdinand, Becks and Scholes on the Manure team. However, in my view, players like Viera are truly special and way better than a Roy Keane!

Sorry sis, but we have to agree to disagree without labeling anyone's views as emotional or biased simply because we disagree!
Aye Aye Sir...... i apologise.... :P :twisted:
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Ayo wey dey correct our English whenever we dey do our "Did Oruma Wept" discussion...now what the heck is this
"Patrick Viera looks like he has past his peak to me"
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

No worries. Its all good.

yettycom wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Yettycom:

Aye Aye Sir...... i apologise.... :P :twisted:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Vieira OhhhO! Vieira.
He comes from Senegal
He plays for Arsenal.
Vieira OhhhO! Vieira.
The Don on the ball.
He plays for Arsenal.

The finest midfield general in football for a generation.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Patrick is majestic. The guy is one of the most dominant DMs to ever play the game!
Waffiman wrote:Vieira OhhhO! Vieira.
He comes from Senegal
He plays for Arsenal.
Vieira OhhhO! Vieira.
The Don on the ball.
He plays for Arsenal.

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

YUJAM wrote:Patrick is majestic. The guy is one of the most dominant DMs to ever play the game!
He comes from Senegal
He plays for Arsenal.
Vieira OhhhO! Vieira.
The Don on the ball.
He plays for Arsenal.

Roy Keane was good but not as good as Patrick. In terms of sheer skill, Patrick is just unbelievable. They guy can play anywhere on the pitch and he is also very fast with those long legs and hard in the tackle. His will to win is just amazing and he has matured a lot as a player.

Yujam, I have watch Patrick from his first game at Highbury, I can describe his first pass, his first touch and how the Arsenal fans took to him instantly. Ironically, he is similar to Keane in many ways and I still prefer the wild Patrick because he took no prisoners.

The English assumed because he is French, he will be a softy, but he whooped all comers including Keane both physically and skillzz wise. Then he showed all of them in England that hard men from African are of a different breed, nothing like they have ever seen.

They picked on him and he sometimes lost it, but he always prevailed against his opponents. Henry is number two, in terms of Arsenal heroes to we Arsenal fans at Highbury. The stats tell us, we have lost more games without Pat than without Henry.

To prove what a great player Vieira is, a poll of EPL Managers some years ago, showed Patrick as the only players they all picked. An ongoing poll of all Arsenal ex-players has Patrick as the greatest Arsenal player ever. Every week, we have ex-Arsenal players in the programme selecting the top Arsenal teams, Patrick leads aheads of greats like Adams, George, Armstrong, Henry, Wright etc. etc.

You need to hear Arsenal fans sing that song. It is with the passion Vieira plays the game. It is just fantastic.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

You mean the 2000 generation :?
He comes from Senegal
He plays for Arsenal.
Vieira OhhhO! Vieira.
The Don on the ball.
He plays for Arsenal.

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

txj wrote:You mean the 2000 generation :?
He comes from Senegal
He plays for Arsenal.
Vieira OhhhO! Vieira.
The Don on the ball.
He plays for Arsenal.

I mean since the generation of Rikaard and Lother Mattheius.
junior
Egg
Egg

Post by junior »

I know you are a Man U fan but for you to say that overrated Roy Keane has achieved more than Vieria is pure madness. Has Roy Keane ever won a WC or a European Championship? I think you'd be better served making that half-baked assertion in a group of Irish Stout drinkers but the type of mentality will get you a pretty serious beatdown in most parts of W Africa. Nonsense! 8)

Not only has Viera achieved more, but he is also a much better footballer. Only a Man U fan would argue otherwise.
Chief Goza wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Viera is not a mere shadow of his former self as Ayo suggested. He is older and likely not as rangy or fast as he once was. However, the guy still stands out as one of the best DMs out there period. Guys like Gerrard, Lampard and even Keane are small boys next to Viera!
Keane - small boy next to Vieira? Shows what you know. As you rightly mentioned, he's not as... So then, instead of actually acknowledging Keane is not as..., you say he's a small boy next to Vieira. I'll tell you this - Vieira will not achieve as much as Keane has, and you can take that to the bank. And that includes the cruciates, the hips, and all. With all those injuries, Vieira will still not achieve as much as Keane in the club game, you can bet. Do you actually know how much an injury (not to talk of several) takes from you? Vieira is a classy player, one I admire so much, but he's already shown signs of decline. And that's without the serious injuries.
Yujam, Viera is a wonderful player. He is fundamentally sound, even has skill and some flair to boot. His is the backbone of the Arsenal midfield and possibly the team. But I beg to differ on the international front. While he is important to the team he is and was never the main man for France.WC98 Blanc,Dessailly,Deschamps and of course 'Z' formed the nucleus of the team. WC2002 - when he was counted on to deliver the goods - France ( in the absence of 'Z' and Pires) flamed out like a cheap firecracker. England would have won Sunday's game if not for their own stupidity and the brilliance of 'Z'. Yes, Patrick put in a solid performance which has been made better in the light of the win. Had they lost his contributions would not have been appreciated as much.

Now let's be reasonable. Keane's career is deserving of your respect. Football is football even if you don't like him. Roy is fundamentally sound. While he may not have flair like Patrick he has the grit and self-determination that true greats possess. An exceptional leader with a 'never say die' attitude. Look at his club record, it speaks for itself. On the international front, his influence cannot be discounted. Ireland is simply not the same without him even in his diminished state. Ireland does not have the all round quality that France has. Roy is/was a great player playing for an above average team.

Roy is in the twilight of a career that any footballer would be proud of. Patrick has had a great career so far and still has time to add to his already exceptional resume.
Fegwu

Post by Fegwu »

How old is Viera?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

junior wrote:

Chief Goza wrote:
Keane - small boy next to Vieira? Shows what you know. As you rightly mentioned, he's not as... So then, instead of actually acknowledging Keane is not as..., you say he's a small boy next to Vieira. I'll tell you this - Vieira will not achieve as much as Keane has, and you can take that to the bank. And that includes the cruciates, the hips, and all. With all those injuries, Vieira will still not achieve as much as Keane in the club game, you can bet. Do you actually know how much an injury (not to talk of several) takes from you? Vieira is a classy player, one I admire so much, but he's already shown signs of decline. And that's without the serious injuries.
Yujam, Viera is a wonderful player. He is fundamentally sound, even has skill and some flair to boot. His is the backbone of the Arsenal midfield and possibly the team. But I beg to differ on the international front. While he is important to the team he is and was never the main man for France.WC98 Blanc,Dessailly,Deschamps and of course 'Z' formed the nucleus of the team. WC2002 - when he was counted on to deliver the goods - France ( in the absence of 'Z' and Pires) flamed out like a cheap firecracker. England would have won Sunday's game if not for their own stupidity and the brilliance of 'Z'. Yes, Patrick put in a solid performance which has been made better in the light of the win. Had they lost his contributions would not have been appreciated as much.

Now let's be reasonable. Keane's career is deserving of your respect. Football is football even if you don't like him. Roy is fundamentally sound. While he may not have flair like Patrick he has the grit and self-determination that true greats possess. An exceptional leader with a 'never say die' attitude. Look at his club record, it speaks for itself. On the international front, his influence cannot be discounted. Ireland is simply not the same without him even in his diminished state. Ireland does not have the all round quality that France has. Roy is/was a great player playing for an above average team.

Roy is in the twilight of a career that any footballer would be proud of. Patrick has had a great career so far and still has time to add to his already exceptional resume.
I take it you are a Manure supporter then. :shock: :roll: :P :P :P :P
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

junior wrote: Yujam, Viera is a wonderful player. He is fundamentally sound, even has skill and some flair to boot. His is the backbone of the Arsenal midfield and possibly the team. But I beg to differ on the international front. While he is important to the team he is and was never the main man for France.WC98 Blanc,Dessailly,Deschamps and of course 'Z' formed the nucleus of the team. WC2002 - when he was counted on to deliver the goods - France ( in the absence of 'Z' and Pires) flamed out like a cheap firecracker. England would have won Sunday's game if not for their own stupidity and the brilliance of 'Z'. Yes, Patrick put in a solid performance which has been made better in the light of the win. Had they lost his contributions would not have been appreciated as much.

Junior, I have watched that match 3 times and whether or not France had won, Patrick Viera IMO was the best Frenchman on the field on Sunday. I know most ratings have Zizzou and Bathez ahead of Viera but we all know why that is. Viera was pivotal to France's relentless game and never gave up an inch.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
junior
Egg
Egg

Post by junior »

theDunamis wrote:
junior wrote: Yujam, Viera is a wonderful player. He is fundamentally sound, even has skill and some flair to boot. His is the backbone of the Arsenal midfield and possibly the team. But I beg to differ on the international front. While he is important to the team he is and was never the main man for France.WC98 Blanc,Dessailly,Deschamps and of course 'Z' formed the nucleus of the team. WC2002 - when he was counted on to deliver the goods - France ( in the absence of 'Z' and Pires) flamed out like a cheap firecracker. England would have won Sunday's game if not for their own stupidity and the brilliance of 'Z'. Yes, Patrick put in a solid performance which has been made better in the light of the win. Had they lost his contributions would not have been appreciated as much.

Junior, I have watched that match 3 times and whether or not France had won, Patrick Viera IMO was the best Frenchman on the field on Sunday. I know most ratings have Zizzou and Bathez ahead of Viera but we all know why that is. Viera was pivotal to France's relentless game and never gave up an inch.
Viera was well contained by the English. Two stupid mistakes - the first by Heskey and the second by Gerrard- and Zidane's brilliance were the difference makers. Apart from that both teams were evenly matched.

And waffiman is that all you have to say for yourself?