Guys this is very sad if true.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg
Guys this is very sad if true.

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Daily Independent Online. * Friday, January 9, 2004.

Ogunjobi stops Uche, Opabunmi from Faro
By Ben Alaiya

Sports Editor

NFA Chief Executive, Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi has halted the bid of two of the country’s promising players from joining the Super Eagles training camp in Faro, Portugal, saying he has instruction from the coaching crew that they were no longer needed.

The scribe had excused Kalu Uche and Femi Opabunmi to be part of the U-23 team that played against Tunisia and Senegal and they were to fly out immediately to Portugal.

Early this week, the two players attempted to catch the flight to Faro and they could not.

Matters however came to a head on Wednesday, when they were told in unambiguous terms that they may no longer be required in Faro because of the short period required to name the squad for the Nations Cup.

Confirming the development to Daily Independent, Ogunjobi said there was nothing he could do since he had instructions from the coaching crew that the two players were no longer required for the challenge of the Nations Cup.

The downcast players complained to family members and friends that the development has shattered their hopes of being part of the Nigerian team that will campaign for honours at the Tunisia Nations Cup championship.

Opabunmi particularly was reported to have said he felt betrayed as he was on another national assignment, which eventually led to his being dropped.

On his part, Uche had wanted to use an appearance at the Nations Cup to re-launch his career which had been in limbo following a bitter row between his present club, Wisla Krakow and Dutch giants Ajax Amsterdam for his signature when the last transfer window opened. The player preferred Ajax but Wisla insisted he can’t go hence the current logjam until FIFA ruled that he must first return to Ajax before joining the club of his choice.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

BULLSHIT!!!!! IF THIS IS TRUE THEN OGUNJOBI MUST BE SHOT. SINCE WHEN DID HE BECOME THE S.E COACH. :x :x :x :x :x
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

And so many wondered why Obafemi was not ready yet for National call up.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

In fairness to Ogunjobi, CCC is planning on decamping players starting on Sunday, and he may very well have instructed the SG in that respect. The reality is that he already knows 70 - 80 percent of his squad.

I was really hoping that UIche Kalu would make the team but I guess he would have to make do with the Olympics if we get there.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

i CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THE BACK OF oGUNJOBI AND cHUKWU.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
senator
Egg
Egg

Post by senator »

Maybe CCC could not tell the players to their faces :D :D :D
''Watching United today was like watching your woman with another man. They were where we should have been, doing exactly what we should have been doing, and deep inside you know they were doing it better than we ever have.'' __Arsenal Fan after watching Man Utd defeat Roma 7-1 10/04/07

mouko wrote:
''Going by this list Nigeria would survive if they can score more than they would concede.''
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

I thought Opabunmi was good enough for the SE

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

MD, both players should at least be allowed to return to faro for the coaches to asses them instead of just drooping them like that. After all, the essential members of the team have not yet arrived faro
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

very sad indeed. i have no further comment at this time.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

mister dolly wrote:In fairness to Ogunjobi, CCC is planning on decamping players starting on Sunday, and he may very well have instructed the SG in that respect. The reality is that he already knows 70 - 80 percent of his squad.

I was really hoping that UIche Kalu would make the team but I guess he would have to make do with the Olympics if we get there.
The dignified approach would have been to let them return and counsel them out of the camp along with the others. The coach should also be a mentor. This is farcical.

Furthermore, the majority at Faro will be dropped, despite the absence of many others. So what was the point of the camp?
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

I honestly though Uche Kalu was good enough to make the team.
where were they when Osaze was boarding a plane? If CC instructed Ogunjobi to tell them that, i don't see how Ogunjobi can be blamed here.
Bell

Post by Bell »

WHAT'S THE COMPLAINING ABOUT?

Wasn't there a deadline for players to report? Wasn't the U-23 assignment over Saturday? As someone else alluded, wasn't Odimwigie part of the U-23 contingent.

Some of you just look for an excuse to complaint. Of course, if C3 had gone back on his deadline it's the same crowd that would be lambasting him for not being firm.
Bell
senator
Egg
Egg

Post by senator »

Talk IT wrote:I honestly though Uche Kalu was good enough to make the team.
where were they when Osaze was boarding a plane? If CC instructed Ogunjobi to tell them that, i don't see how Ogunjobi can be blamed here.
I hear you talk it, didnt they all go together for the olympic qualifier?
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

i don't think either of these players necessarily warrant places on the team but I wish ogunjobi was more sensitive in the way he handled the matter. You can't break players' hearts just like that. Especially those who are commited to the team. On the plus side, Opabumi , Kalu and MArtins along with the likes of Osaze would be excellent candidates for the Athens 2004 team should we overcome the Senegalese challenge.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Talk IT wrote:I honestly though Uche Kalu was good enough to make the team.
Looking back over my camping days, it is ten times better than this bloody Faro.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Bell, whether there was a deadline or not, Ogunjobi has no right to just order the players to forget about the ANC when he is not the coach (that is going by the report). By the way which deadline are you talking about? The big players are yet to arrive camp depite being assured of a place in the ANC team.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

I hate to sound abusive but if this story is true then I'll join the bashers and say that it's time for Ogunjobi to go.
He has outlived his usefulness :(
soccermentality
Egg
Egg

Post by soccermentality »

I think the team can not be selected based on sentiment and pity. ccc has made up his mind and am very much sure that by this time he already knows what his team comprises of. yes it is true that he should have allowed the players to come to faro for a few days before breaking the news to them, but then again that will be a financial burden on NFA. So my people ccc might not to be to blame and niether is ogunjobi. this players are simply victims of circumstances. I seroiusly feel for them though.

I guess somebody have to take one for the team!!
senator
Egg
Egg

Post by senator »

bret- hart, The article says'saying he has instruction from the coaching crew that they were no longer needed.'
''Watching United today was like watching your woman with another man. They were where we should have been, doing exactly what we should have been doing, and deep inside you know they were doing it better than we ever have.'' __Arsenal Fan after watching Man Utd defeat Roma 7-1 10/04/07

mouko wrote:
''Going by this list Nigeria would survive if they can score more than they would concede.''
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

OOPS MY BAD. BUT I AM STILL DISSAPOINTED THAT THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED BACK IN CAMP
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

soccermentality wrote:I think the team can not be selected based on sentiment and pity. ccc has made up his mind and am very much sure that by this time he already knows what his team comprises of. yes it is true that he should have allowed the players to come to faro for a few days before breaking the news to them, but then again that will be a financial burden on NFA. So my people ccc might not to be to blame and niether is ogunjobi. this players are simply victims of circumstances. I seroiusly feel for them though.

Why were they invited? You can see why some of us cannot wait for Ogunjobi and Chukwu to leave. They are real pain in the arse.
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

Sir V wrote:
soccermentality wrote:I think the team can not be selected based on sentiment and pity. ccc has made up his mind and am very much sure that by this time he already knows what his team comprises of. yes it is true that he should have allowed the players to come to faro for a few days before breaking the news to them, but then again that will be a financial burden on NFA. So my people ccc might not to be to blame and niether is ogunjobi. this players are simply victims of circumstances. I seroiusly feel for them though.

Why were they invited? You can see why some of us cannot wait for Ogunjobi and Chukwu to leave. They are real pain in the arse.
so that they can play set :D
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Sir V wrote:

Ol' boy, you have to wait a veerryyy loooooonnnnnnggg tyme.
Take it from someone who knows, CCC is here to stay. He ain't going anywhere soon :D