Rebecca St. James: Sad For Britney Spears & Her Image.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rebecca St. James: Sad For Britney Spears & Her Image.

Post by original skeepolah »

Christian rock star 'sad for' Britney
Monday, May 17, 2004 Posted: 11:28 AM EDT (1528 GMT)

Britney Spears

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A Grammy-award winning Christian rock star, who preaches a message of abstinence from sex until marriage, says she feels sorry for pop princess Britney Spears who herself once famously vowed to be a virgin until she wed.

Rebecca St. James, a star of the U.S. Christian music scene, said she was disappointed that role models from the world of music and movies such as Spears led youngsters astray with their message of "anything goes, if it feels good do it."

"The biggest thing I feel for Britney is I feel sad for her," she told Reuters in an interview on Saturday.

"I also feel sad for the nine or 10-years-old watching her who see her dressing in a very promiscuous fashion, almost asking for people to treat her as a sex object. They are going to start dressing that way too."

Australian-born St. James, who fronts the True Love Waits organization in the U.S. which urges teenagers to avoid pre-marital sex, is embarking on a whirlwind European tour during which she hopes to spread the group's message.

True Love Waits, which already boasts a healthy following in the U.S., encourages teenagers to pledge to their family and friends that they will stay virgins until they are married.

It was a message that once appealed to Spears herself. Shortly after she shot to superstardom as a teenager with her debut album "...Baby One More Time" she made a public promise to stay chaste until her wedding day.

But she later shed the image for a far more raunchy look, admitted she had slept with former boyfriend Justin Timberlake and said she thought sex was not "such a big deal."

"She (Britney) has had an unbelievable amount of pressure put on her. She would have people from the top of her record label, to her manager and to her peers saying you've got to be more raunchy, show more skin," St. James said.

"It's like water on a stone, it just starts wearing away no matter how strong you are."

Despite the seductive images of sex prevalent in the media, St. James is confident she can persuade youngsters to follow her lifestyle, claiming many teenagers saw waiting to have sex as "a new benchmark of cool."

"Young people, whether they are Christians or not, are realizing that abstinence is actually smart because you don't have to worry about STDs (sexually transmitted diseases), AIDS and pregnancy outside marriage."

"Young people are wising up to the fact that it saves you a whole lot of pain when you do wait."

'Don't even go close to the line'
The singer, who has won a Grammy for "Best Christian Rock Album," made her vow to spurn pre-marital sex at 16 and says she now makes sure she avoids temptation -- even her band are five single men committed to abstaining from pre-marital sex.

"I'm a virgin, I'm 26 and going to stay that way until after I'm married," she said.

"My philosophy is, if you're committed to waiting then don't even go close to the line and only date people who are committed to waiting as well. Even the guys I date... we talk about making sure we don't go close to the line."

St. James is not the only one hoping to keep Europeans pure this summer. Another U.S. abstinence organization "The Silver Ring Thing," which is partly funded by the U.S. government, is touring Britain and Ireland asking young people to remain chaste until marriage and to wear a ring on their finger to prove it.

But both groups would appear to have their work cut out in Britain, where St. James has started her tour.

The country has the highest rates of teenage pregnancy in western Europe and has seen an explosion of sexually transmitted diseases.

St. James is still hopeful.

"I expected way more flak than I've got," she said.

"I've got a lot of mainstream media attention even in countries like Norway that are not known necessarily for their morality. It's such a counter-culture message they are fascinated about it."
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

i LIKE THIS...I think many people should start standing up for what is right, and stop 'pretending' that it is ok........ :|
Last edited by original skeepolah on Tue May 18, 2004 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

yes i personally am for abstainance, having been in it since my teen years can testify how good it does to me.Encourage all who are in the place of indecision to do something, it aint easy but it is possibe and worth it.
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

living wrote:yes i personally am for abstainance, having been in it since my teen years can testify how good it does to me.Encourage all who are in the place of indecision to do something, it aint easy but it is possibe and worth it.
Thank you living!!!!!!!!!!!!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Original you be son of your Papa for Obodo Heaven.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
nakson
Egg
Egg

Post by nakson »

I bow down for all these abstinence folks, with the way toto just dey flow like water e dey reall tough to for man not to drink.
If a monkey is amongst dogs, why won't it start barking?

Nobody mourns an unnoticed death.

If a donkey kicks you and you kick back, you are both donkeys.

He who eats well speaks well or it is a question of insanity.

A tiger does not have to proclaim its tigri-tude.

When man pikin dey piss, him dey hold something for hand. Woman wey try-am, go piss for her hand.
the rock
Egg
Egg

Post by the rock »

abi o. That is why most of these entertainers cannot have lasting marriages even if they paid them.Anything for the nookie.
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

nakson

Posted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bow down for all these abstinence folks, with the way toto just dey flow like water e dey reall tough to for man not to drink.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D

what do u expect with a name nakson :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

nakson wrote:I bow down for all these abstinence folks, with the way toto just dey flow like water e dey reall tough to for man not to drink.

Thank you, nakson..Toto dey like that fruit for the garden of eden...Dangerous for you, but hard to resist the temptation!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Thought
Egg
Egg

Post by Thought »

nakson wrote:I bow down for all these abstinence folks, with the way toto just dey flow like water e dey reall tough to for man not to drink.
bros you yan proper. How man go resist am dey beyond me. Bura no dey stand?
Real Madrid - The Greatest Club on Earth!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Thought, Bura dey stand just like normal, but man suppose get more self control than dog.
I'm with the abstinence deal myself and I aint married yet....I dont masturbate(frankly, if I was ever thinking about masturbation, I'd just forget the whole abstinence jig alltogether.). It gets tough...really tough sometimes....you think "what the hell am I doing" and because of the way I live my life, I have been close many times....but God does really give me strength....he really does.....if no be for papa God, I for don fela-up by now.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

deanotito, u just exposed my mind set.Na God dey help man, no be by power, there are times when.....hmm, but God dey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

and because of the way I live my life, I have been close many times....
deanotito, how do you live your life?
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Deonotito tell them..If God is in control you are safe......It is better to live with a little guilt and a lot of hope, than with little hope and lost of guilt(man what did i just do, is she infected with a disease, is she married, is she pregnant, does she love me/do i love her????).........

Just wait, and God will bless you a TON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

27, well I've toned down now, but back in the day I was the kind of guy that would rock the clubs, hang with the girls like crazy but still try and keep my pants on. Anybody that has ever done that would know that it is very difficult to live like that and practice abstinence.

So now, I live like a monk....ok, not exactly....but I have seriosuly curtailed my interactions with the opposite sex....its not as free flowing as it used to be...I opt for a shake instead of a hug...I dont party no more....and I try and keep discussions and situations as "un-sexual" as I can...and I dont watch just everything on TV......if I turn to a channel and they are talking about some spring break beach, I go turn the thing go CNN....rather watch d#$% Cheney than some half naked(sometimes fully naked) girls.

May God continue to shower me with power :lol:
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

deanotito wrote:Thought, Bura dey stand just like normal, but man suppose get more self control than dog.
I'm with the abstinence deal myself and I aint married yet....I dont masturbate(frankly, if I was ever thinking about masturbation, I'd just forget the whole abstinence jig alltogether.). It gets tough...really tough sometimes....you think "what the hell am I doing" and because of the way I live my life, I have been close many times....but God does really give me strength....he really does.....if no be for papa God, I for don fela-up by now.
So Deanotito ar you implying you are a virgin "Practically?"