I Feel Happy And Blessed , Says Jay-Jay Okocha

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

sleaky21
Egg
Egg
I Feel Happy And Blessed , Says Jay-Jay Okocha

Post by sleaky21 »

KNACKED , yet relaxed and happy. As plain as glass and yet, as modest as a player on trial. The smile wasn't man-made, neither was the rigour of jumping from one interview to another evident in his body language. His blue jeans had just a brown patch at the back pocket and, fiddling with his cap and phone, you'll probably have mistaken him for a rap star or a young man out to impress a new girlfriend on their first date.But you don't judge a book by its cover.

advertisement

Yet, ushered into the reporter's presence,with apologies by Keeley Temple, a media staff with Bolton , and sitting opposite on the second floor - room 22 - of the magnificent Reebok Stadium, is FIFA-100 listed player, Austin Azuka Okocha.His mates and staff call him Jay-Jay, like others in the footballing world.

Within 20 minutes of watching his side train, he found the back of the net four times, one being a blinding left volley, but not even once has he done that in the Premiership-this season. He didn't appear as though he's worried by that, and he confirmed this later. He had a calmness similar to the serene atmosphere noticed around the stadium. His was based on being content with his achievement, while that of the Reebok Stadium was based on 'management,' according to the receptionist-with whom the elevator was shared on the way up.

Having previously watched a game at the Reebok last month and seeing a completely different atmosphere this afternoon, the reporter told the lady, 'what a difference today, Friday, is unlike a match day when you'll have about 27,000 spectators around this place'."It's still a chaotic situation inside there, but we're managing it well," she replied, with a sweet smile that revealed a fine set of teeth. But the serenity Okocha had about him, despite not having a goal for his magical display, had nothing to do with the ability to manage well, just being satisfied with what you've done and knowing what your brief is.

"When I first signed for Bolton, I made it clear to them that I'm not a goal scorer. I've not gone through any season without scoring, so this is new to me."

But does that mean he's not bothered that he hasn't scored at all

"No. Alhough I've not scored in the League, I've created a lot of goals and also made a lot of impact." Except you're a striker, the barometer for gauging your productivity is not directly proportional to the number of goals you've scored. That apart, the quality of a midfielder and even arguably a striker, is not dependent on goals alone. Had it been, Arsenal 's Patrick Vieira, a player who's more physical than talented , wouldn't have been featuring regularly in the shortlist awards of many prizes. Vieira has just two goals in the Gunners' unbeaten campaign this season, but he's their engine room and inspiration. The boss in the dressing room, and everyone still listens when he talks.
Scoring goals sometimes doesn't require any ounce of talent, a point made grudgingly and frustatingly clear some weeks ago by Sir Bobby Robson at the Reebok Stadium. After his side conceded an early goal in their 1-0 defeat by Bolton, the Newcastle boss refused to give credit to the goalscorer, saying he shouldn't think he, Pedersen, is a talented player. It is doubtful if Robson would have said that had Newcastle scored any type of goal before being bundled out of the UEFA Cup semi-final by Marseille over a week ago. We all know that not everyone will have the precision finishing skills of a Thiery Henry, but any mortal player can definitely put a ball into a net.

That reminds one of an incident involving the Brazilian wonderboy, Ronaldo. A couple of weeks ago at Real Madrid, he talked to the opponent's keeper during a League match in Spain, asking which side of the net the keeper would want the ball placed. If it wasn't a game that had rules and regulations, maybe Ronaldo would have left the pitch with a swollen mouth.

Though we can't argue away the importance of scoring goals, what matters most is what every player brings to the table, the quality of their play and the overall success of the team. Sitting back in his chair and listening attentively to every question being thrown across, Okocha said: "Honestly, with the success I've had personally and that of the team, I have no cause to complain." He shouldn't really. Afterall, Wanderers Manager, Sam Allardyce has referred to him as the greatest player the Club has ever had.

That brings a lot of satisfaction, he admitted."Yes, it's always good to know that people appreciate what you do and after working so hard, it's nice to get the reward. So I feel very satisfied with what I've achieved here so far."

But again, he has not won any major trophy with any Club - the last chance being the Carling Cup which his team lost to Middlesbrough at the Millennium Stadium in February. Is it something that gives him any concerns

"Today, I'm in Bolton, but in future I could be in another side that will give me more opportunities to win trophies, and even if that doesn't happen, I'll still be happy."
Except you're in this profession, knowing how to separate the wheat from the chaff, you're going to be swallowing, like the public,everything you read on the pages of newspapers. Last week, a British tabloid copied by others,was quoted as saying contract talks between Okocha and the Club had broken down. How true is this

Why's it breaking down
"It's not breaking down. People always misunderstand issues and that's why I decided to stop talking about the contract issue until after the season." People, he said, "are getting it wrong. For me, it's not breaking down, but it's about trying to make the right decision. It's my decision, it's my future and I need to know some things. So that's the only thing that's delaying it."

With the compliments he has been given by his manager and with what the Club has achieved and his input, does he foresee any problems on this

Replying with the calmness of a tactical thinker, Okocha 's answered with a gesticulative wink:"We don't have any problem."

Really

But he has been linked by some papers, foreign and local, with Everton and there're conflicting reports that either David Moyes or Joseph Yobo, or both, have tried to lure him over.
"Well, I didn't speak to anybody. They might have shown their interest, but it's not every offer that you get that the club will pass on to you. But one thing is clear, I didn't speak to anybody and I don't know anything about it. It could be that there was an offer and the club turned it down or something, but they didn't pass anything to me and I didn't speak to anyone."

Those in the limelight should be getting used to rumours although when persistent, it could either be mischievous or true. Just a couple of days ago, England Manager, Sven Goren-Eriksson, teased Claudio Ranieri, saying he should be used to the never ending rumour about his sack. Rumour mongering, Eriksson revealed, is a daily occurrence in Italy. Even in Nigeria, a paper, not The Guardian,had already speculated Jay - Jay could be sacrificed for a man that has yet to put pen to paper : Rivaldo. Is he worried about the arrival of the Brazilian

That's one word Okocha, like the reigning Olympic marathon champion, Gezahegne Abera, doesn't have in his vocabulary.
"I have so much confidence in myself and I know that I'm not a bad player, and I've proved many people wrong in the past. Many people were sceptical when I came here, they thought I'll fail, but I'm glad with what I have and I know that I can play in any League and compete with anyone". How do those speculating think that will happen when Rivaldo is still waiting to get the highest bid from any of about four clubs asking for his services, before deciding which part of Europe he'll be heading to.

Does that mean he's not bothered

"I don't have any reason to be bothered. I'm a happy man, I'm blessed, so I have no reason to be bothered by any gossip."
Very few players, including Pele and Diego Maradona have had the privilege of playing at three World Cup finals.Maradona, the Argentine with the 'Hand of God' but 'Legs of Clay', was fortunate to make three World Cup finals before being derailed by his drug addiction.Regrettably, footballers such as George Weah, a former World Footballer of the Year; Ghanaian Abedi Pele, a former African Footballer of the Year and Mathematical Segun Odegbami have never made it there. But Jay - Jay, like Ronaldo, has the rare opportunity of joining the select few to have tasted football action at the topmost level on three occasions (1994, 1998 and 2002). Does he think he'll still be there in Germany 2006, making it his fourth appearance

"If you remember, after the last World Cup in 2002, I said I wasn't going to play for the national team again, but when I got back home, I spoke to many people and they made me change my mind. And one of the reasons I did that was because I felt I still have a lot to give and it would have been a shame to run away instead of standing there and fighting for the ones who cannot fight for themselves. I'll continue in the national team in order to change things before I leave, so that the ones coming behind will not have the kind of experience me and my colleagues have had.

"I mean, if I feel I can still be there, why not

But I don't want a situation where I'm used for the qualifiers without playing in the finals itself, although I don't even foresee that happening in my case. When I feel that I'm not good enough, I'll respect myself and quit, rather than being sacked. I'll want to retire on a high."
How's it like playing against his Super Eagles team - mates in Portsmouth, Everton and Arsenal

Does he feel for them at all
"No, I don't even see them when I'm playing. I don't even know if it's Yobo or Kanu or Isaac."
Don't they tell him, 'Jay - Jay, take things easy now, don't mesmerise me with those confusing footwork

' "Of course, we make fun of each other, and we talk, but we're there to do our job and besides, I don't even look at faces when I'm playing."
It was noticed that Super Eagles goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama wasn't in practise during the course of the interview. What happened and what was the outcome of his trial

Okocha's response was revealing:"He didn't really come for a trial. What I was trying to do was to help him to improve his game, because he's our national team 's goalkeeper. As you know, there're not many goalkeepers' coaches at home, so what I planned was for him to come here and improve and if there's any opportunity of keeping him, why not
But meanwhile, let him get some training so as to improve."
Two of the greatest names in boxing - Oscar de la Hoya and Roy Jones Jr have, despite their enviable career earnings and success in the squared ropes, made a second career in music, so it wasn't surprising when a friend who once lived in Germany revealed that Okocha once released a song there. Is he still keen on pursuing his musical career

"That was something I did for fun. I'm not a musician, I haven't got a good voice and I can't rap. I enjoy listening to music, but I'll leave that to the professionals."

When you're interviewing someone and they start checking their wrist watch more than once, don't wait till you're told:"Can't we continue some other time or how many more questions do you have

", Okocha asked. Obviously, it was time to return to London. But one last question: How's he getting ready for the triangular Unity Cup involving Nigeria, the Republic of Ireland and Jamaica at the end of the month
"I don't even know if I'll take part yet. As you can see, I'm knacked. I've been playing since July last year and I need to rest. I might play, but I don't know for now."

If you have tears prepare to shed them now.
Holla!
CMS
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by CMS »

Now let's hope he does not report for next year out of shape! :)
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Keshi said that before the team arrived South Africa that he told skipper Joseph Yobo that the Eagles were going to win the Cup but the former Everton defender did not believe.
:lol:
humphrey ngando
Egg
Egg

Post by humphrey ngando »

CMS wrote:Now let's hope he does not report for next year out of shape! :)
It was noticed that Super Eagles goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama wasn't in practise during the course of the interview. What happened and what was the outcome of his trial

Okocha's response was revealing:"He didn't really come for a trial. What I was trying to do was to help him to improve his game, because he's our national team 's goalkeeper. As you know, there're not many goalkeepers' coaches at home, so what I planned was for him to come here and improve and if there's any opportunity of keeping him, why not

This means JJ really does have influence in his team.Just inviting vincent to improve his skills.Kind of him.
yaro maiwayo
Egg
Egg

Post by yaro maiwayo »

humphrey ngando wrote:
CMS wrote:Now let's hope he does not report for next year out of shape! :)

a true captain....... 8)

This means JJ really does have influence in his team.Just inviting vincent to improve his skills.Kind of him.
hey hey hey
smoke weed everyday
take a stack a day
to keep the doctor away
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

KNACKED , yet relaxed and happy.
Is that "knacked" or "knackered"?
humphrey ngando
Egg
Egg

Post by humphrey ngando »

When I first signed for Bolton, I made it clear to them that I'm not a goal scorer. I've not gone through any season without scoring, so this is new to me."

But does that mean he's not bothered that he hasn't scored at all

"No. Alhough I've not scored in the League, I've created a lot of goals and also made a lot of impact."

For JJ and his fans,he should try and score goals or atleast assists.Statistics don't lie.

Great players are always refered to in terms of no of goals scored,no of major trophies won at club and country.JJ is a no 10 and by his very style of play he attempts at the goal several times per match.If he converts some of these attempts it would make it easier for us his fans to argue for him .The fact that he takes free kicks,penalties,shoots from distance makes me think his efficiency has to be improved on.

For his talent and exposure(top world 100 players),we need some figures for justification.

He should be in the class of the ronaldinho's,totti's,zidane's etc but they all have many goals and assists per season.No goal and 2 assists in a whole season is not acceptable.

For the genius he is, he deserves better concrete achievements,easily measurable.
sleaky21
Egg
Egg

Post by sleaky21 »

True captain
If you have tears prepare to shed them now.
Holla!
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

sleaky21 wrote:True captain
KNACKED :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :)
return2k2
Egg
Egg

Post by return2k2 »

:mrgreen: Don't worry, Jay Jay is going to suprise folks with goals next season.

:lol: Jay Jay operates in mysterious ways! The goals are on their way.