Iginla is the new Wayne Grezky

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet
Iginla is the new Wayne Grezky

Post by mastermind »

Iginla is the new Wayne Grezky. This naija boy is somethign else on the ice. He is fast, strong and skillful. He already score 51 goals already this season and the playoff is not over yet. Iginla and the Calgary Flames made it to the NHL Stanley Cup finals.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

how he get naija blood ?
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

His father is Nigerian. Iginla means Big Tree in yoruba, I think. When he was just drafted, i read his bio in a European paper that said he was born in Zaria, though the NHL lists him as been born in Canada.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:His father is Nigerian. Iginla means Big Tree in yoruba, I think. When he was just drafted, i read his bio in a European paper that said he was born in Zaria, though the NHL lists him as been born in Canada.
Yeah, u're right...his father is Nigerian and the boy has been on fire ever since they smack the US 2 yrs ago. I didnt see the game yesterday, but i expected his "as usual" performance....suffice it to say he made headlines this morning.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

The guy has solid Naija connections & his father is a serious SE fan.

I read an interview of his back in 2002.
He (jokingly) said his father & his cousins did not appreciate his achievement by winning the hockey Gold for Canada. I think he got home (or visited his family) on the day SE lost to Senegal in 2002, and instead of his father & cousins congratulating him on his Olympic Gold, they were wearing long faces & telling him that the Eagles just lost to Senegal.

I think his mother is white though
Last edited by truetalk on Thu May 20, 2004 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Actually, he was NHL MVP two years ago.
http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com

The Times of Nigeria.
Breaking the news as it happens!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Iginla is the first black captain of an NHL team (I think); He is the joint top scorer this season, and the top scorer in the play offs. Last night at the end of the game, Don Cherry of CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, called him "the best player in the NHL right now."

Me, I no be hockey fan, but I will watch the Stanley Cup finals just because of Iginla.
gyal
Egg
Egg

Post by gyal »

Yeah

I watched the game yesterday and he was on fire..if it wasnot for him..the calgary flames wouldnot be where they are right now.

By the way he was born in Canada- I think in Edmonton. One of my best friends told me this b/c she whent to school with him during high school. :D :D
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

As a former long time Canadian resident, I can attest Naijas boku for dia. Iginla is the bomb, and he is quite awesome!!!
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

His dad was interviewed on t.v the other da, his name is Elvis Iginla. Both of them look alike too.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

mastermind wrote:His dad was interviewed on t.v the other da, his name is Elvis Iginla. Both of them look alike too.

No doubt after whose son he is there

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

ohsee wrote:Iginla is the first black captain of an NHL team (I think); He is the joint top scorer this season, and the top scorer in the play offs. Last night at the end of the game, Don Cherry of CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, called him "the best player in the NHL right now."

Me, I no be hockey fan, but I will watch the Stanley Cup finals just because of Iginla.
pretty impressive...I thought Grant Fuhr also co-captained the Oilers...or were Mark Messier and Wayne Gretzky co-captains of that legendary team?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
SUYA

Post by SUYA »

When I was talking about this bobo last year none of unna put mouth.........now he is everybodys favourite step son. :lol:
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

Just heard Iginla being described on ESPN as the best Hockey player in the world right now...just made me think how incredibly blessed Naija is in the area of sports amognst oter spheres of life..

If only we could harness the good in a lot of Nigerians to improve the lot of our people..
we are a blessed nation folks..we just can't seem to find a way to realize and maximize our potential..
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

I'm no hockey fan, but I'm going against the ESPN commentators and tip the Calgary Flames to win the Stanley Cup
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Yesterday, he was there again to keep the flames burning.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Give it to this guy I beg, he is the sole reason many blacks in Canada and a few in U.S are taking interest in Ice Hockey....He is to Ice Hockey what Tiger Wood and the Williams sisters are to Golf and Tennis respectively....
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923