OKOCHA FINALY WINS THE BBC African footballer.........

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mastermind 17
Egg
Egg
OKOCHA FINALY WINS THE BBC African footballer.........

Post by mastermind 17 »

Of the year award. Man I am happy that the great one has come of age.
I was almost giving up hope of him winning this title.
Join me in congratulating Jay Jay!!!!!
Last edited by mastermind 17 on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Game Mastermind Has Spoken. May all that have understanding Listen!!
mastermind 17
Egg
Egg

Post by mastermind 17 »

Ooh By the way, the story is on the BBC african page.

By Osasu Obayiuwana
BBC Sport

Okocha praised his two runners-up

Nigerian skipper Austin 'Jay-Jay' Okocha has won his first international award after being voted the 2003 BBC African Footballer of the Year.

He wins the award ahead Juventus' Ghanaian international Stephen Appiah and Samuel Eto'o, the Cameroon striker who plays for Spanish side Real Mallorca.

Okocha topped the poll of readers of the BBC African football website and listeners of the BBC World Service's African sports programme, Fast Track.

"I've been expecting something like this for a very long time," a delighted Okocha told BBC Sport.

"I'd got to the stage where I thought that I'd never win an award in my career, so I'm very happy to be recognised in this way."

I'd got to the stage where I thought that I'd never win an award in my career

Jay-Jay Okocha

Okocha, who has been in excellent form for English Premiership club Bolton Wanderers in the 2002 season, added that he "appreciates" the support he has received from African football fans throughout his career.

He said: "I've always received letters of encouragement from them and I hope to keep playing well in order to pay them back for their faith in me."

Okocha was also full of praise for his two runners-up, describing Appiah and Eto'o as "worthy ambassadors of the African game" in Europe.

"We didn't know much about Appiah before but now that he has a regular with Juventus, he's really shown what he's capable of.

"As for Eto'o, we all know that he's been consistent for his club and country over the last few years."
Last edited by mastermind 17 on Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastermind 17
Egg
Egg

Post by mastermind 17 »

Hahaa, looks like all the Okocha Bashers have decided to stay away from this one. This is good news for him ahead of the African Cup of Nations.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Well done JJ

next stop CAF's APOY.

Arise Sir JJ.

Cheers
odi
Egg
Egg

Post by odi »

Let's hear it for our deserving skipper!!

HIP HIP HIP HIP...

HUURRRRAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!

Oya CAF, follow suit!!
The SUPER EAGLES shall rise again!
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Yes congrats to him and a well deserved award which should put him in line with the real one CAF footballer of the year... JJJJJJJAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY
Soldier of Fortune...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Is anyone here old enough to remember Denise Williams' Let's Hear It For the Boy?
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

oga u do well
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
senator
Egg
Egg

Post by senator »

Welldone JAY JAY keep it going and u will lift the cup come february
''Watching United today was like watching your woman with another man. They were where we should have been, doing exactly what we should have been doing, and deep inside you know they were doing it better than we ever have.'' __Arsenal Fan after watching Man Utd defeat Roma 7-1 10/04/07

mouko wrote:
''Going by this list Nigeria would survive if they can score more than they would concede.''
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Congrats to JJ Okocha. Not only has he brought joy to fans in Nigeria, Germany and Turkey, but according to the chaplain of the city of Bolton, he singlehandedly brought many youngsters to Bolton parks in the cold to practise their ball juggling skills.

Now, a man who achieves that cannot be all that bad..
You can control your choice, but not necessarily the consequences
bigapple
Egg
Egg

Post by bigapple »

Congratulations to him, he surely deserves it and more!
Janganza
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Janganza »

Congrats to JJ
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Congrats to JJ but remember Sammy Kuffour won the BBC AFY award then Diouf won the real thing.If the guy wins the real thing i cant hate on him.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

omey2k4 wrote:Congrats to JJ but remember Sammy Kuffour won the BBC AFY award then Diouf won the real thing.If the guy wins the real thing i cant hate on him.
Nowadays, the BBC award is more credible :P
Congrats JJ!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
StoneKold
Egg
Egg

Post by StoneKold »

c o n g r a t u l a t i o n s - that is my boy.

i expect u to win the africa big price too. apoy.

well done and kip it up.

please take my cool blue k.i.s.s.
Fulk, Ur Gabage suck.
Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

GUYS IT'S IMPORTANT THAT HE WINS HIS FIRST AFRICAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR...GUESS WHAT THATS NOT ENOUGH IN MY OPINION.
WITH WHAT HE IS CAPABLE I THINK HE CAN BUSH FOR ONE OF THE EUROPIAN PLAYER OF THE YEAR...AM SAD THAT HE PLAYS FOR CLUB LIKE BOLTON...IF HE WAS AT ARSENAL OR MAN-UNITED..OR OTHER BIG CLUBS I THINK BY NOW HE WOULD HAVE BEEN ONE OF THE 3 BEST WORLD PLAYER OF THE YEAR :oops: :oops: :oops:

BUT AM VERY GLAD THAT HE WINS SAMTHING :lol: :lol: :lol:
temitope
Egg
Egg

Post by temitope »

Friday, January 9, 2004

Okocha puts contract on backburner
Soccernet

Bolton captain Jay-Jay Okocha says he is more concerned about playing football than planning contract talks.

The Nigerian playmaker, whose current deal expires at the end of the season, is due to head off to the Africa Nations Cup in Tunisia shortly.

Before then the former Paris St Germain star has some vital club business to take care of starting with the local derby against Blackburn tomorrow.

'I don't want to start thinking about my contract situation yet,' he said. 'I just want to concentrate on the games I am playing. When the time comes I will make a decision.

'Before I came to Bolton I was free and I didn't get many offers. I am quite happy here. I am very grateful I got the opportunity to play in the Premiership with Bolton and I want to pay them back. That is what I am doing.

'It is always nice to be among the best teams but not everyone can do that. At Bolton it is like a family. It is always a joy coming into training.'

Okocha insists he is his own man. 'I always try to be myself - to try and play my own game, no matter what the situation is. When things are going wrong a lot of people get nervous and forget that it is all about football. They put themselves under pressure.

'I try to keep my head free. I try to forget about the problems and do my best.'

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce will have to make one enforced change to the team that went down to Manchester United.

Jamaica defender Ricardo Gardner is ruled out after damaging knee ligaments in the first half while striker Mario Jardel remains doubtful because of a hamstring injury.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Congratulations is definately in order :D. Long over due if I may add :x.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Winner oh oh oh winnner, winner oh oh oh winner, Jay Jay you don win o winner, ANC we don come oh winner patapata we go win again oh winner.

More vaseline and jeleen to your elbows.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Much respect to Oga JJ.

He deserves the award!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: OKOCHA FINALY WINS THE BBC African footballer.........

Post by 1naija »

Congratulations to JJ.

But what is BBC African footballer of the Year?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

congrats. Now, IAG has put a new meaning into the words "SHRINE" and "SHRINER"! Haba! and wetin concern JJ with Fat Albert?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OKOCHA FINALY WINS THE BBC African footballer.........

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

1naija wrote:Congratulations to JJ.

But what is BBC African footballer of the Year?
It's similar to Nigerian Player of the Year Award JJ co-sponsored and won a few years ago
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."