FIFA Rule Change is Good For Africa - Arsene Wenger

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Thunder
Egg
Egg
FIFA Rule Change is Good For Africa - Arsene Wenger

Post by Thunder »

Culled from BBC Sports

Wenger backs Kanoute switch

Arsene Wenger, the manager of English premiership side Arsenal, has thrown his weight behind
Fifa's new rules on player ationality. The French coach says the move should put an end to the systematic
plundering of top African talent by European countries.

Players with dual nationality are now allowed to play for one country at junior level but represent the
other in senior competition, as long as they make the choice before they're 21.

Arsenal's north London rivals Tottenham Hotspur are likely to miss striker Frederic Kanoute during the African
Nations Cup, after he announced plans to switch from France to Mali. "It is unfortunate for Tottenham
because they didn't expect this situation, but the rules are the rules," Wenger said.

"The African countries have lost many good players, like Patrick Viera and Claude Makelele, because of the
old rules. "A good player in one of France's former colonies would be called up for the under-18 or under-21
team in order to make sure he could never go back to play for the colony. "I think it is right they have now
changed the rules because players will now be allowed to change their mind on decisions they made
when they were only young," Wenger said.

"Young players are never going to turn down the chance to play at that level for France, but if they do not
progress they can now change countries which they never could under the old rules."

The French-born defender Antar Yahia made history at the weekend when he made his debut for
Algeria in an Olympic qualifier, having previously featured for the French under-18 side. He is the first player
to benefit from the new rules. Tottenham Hotspur's argument is that the rules were changed after they signed
Fredi Kanoute from West Ham United.

Wenger said the African Nations Cup is beginning to harm the prospects of African players signing for major
European clubs - because teams are having reservations about taking on players and losing them for a
month in the middle of the season.

"But if the English premiership bring in a winter break in January then it might fit in quite well," he said.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Well in they bring in a winter break, this is a winner for African players :twisted:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

I say it again and again, we need someone with the skill set of Wenger to run our football on and off the pitch.

The sky will be the limit

Cheers
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Mr Shows wrote:I say it again and again, we need someone with the skill set of Wenger to run our football on and off the pitch.

The sky will be the limit

Cheers
True my bro.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.