Obasanjo seeks power of detention

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

From Habeeb I. Pindiga, Isa Sanusi and Tashikalmah Hallah, in Bauchi

Following last week’s declaration of state of emergency in Plateau State, President Olusegun Obasanjo has written to the National Assembly seeking the endorsement of eight emergency regulations, including powers of detention and restriction of persons.

Other emergency powers sought by the president were on general regulations; processions and meetings; reporting of persons; control of arms and explosives; curfew; and protected places regulations 2004.

The president had last Tuesday invoked Section 305 of the constitution to proclaim a state of emergency in Plateau State following heightening ethno-religious crises in the state that culminated in intermixing killings in Yelwa.

He also suspended the state governor, Joshua Dariye and his deputy, Michael Botman as well as the state House of Assembly. Retired Major General Chris Alli was appointed sole administrator for the state.

In two separate letters to the Senate President, Chief Adolphus Wabara and Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu Masari, presented on the floor of both chambers yesterday, Obasanjo said there was urgent need to make consequential regulations for the new administration in Plateau, and urged the two Houses to approve the eight regulations.

"Please refer to your kind approval of the state of emergency (Plateau State) proclamation 2004. Squeal to the state of emergency, there is urgent need to make consequential regulations for the administration of the government of the state. The regulations are made under section 3 of the emergency powers Act 1961 (as modified). Under Section 5 of the said Act, every regulation so made requires approval by resolution of each House of the National Assembly within two months of the coming into operation of the regulations." The president said in the letter dated May 21, 2004.

Obasanjo also yesterday commended the lawmakers for endorsing the proclamation of emergency rule in Plateau. The two chambers sitting separately last Wednesday voted overwhelmingly in favour of the declaration, with the House voting 261 against 30 and the Senate, 90 against five.

The president, in two letters of appreciation dated May 20 thanked the lawmakers, and said the declaration would have positive impact on the stability and security of the nation.

He thanked specifically members of the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Nigeria People’s Party (ANPP), who were almost unanimous in favour of the proclamation.

"I am confident it (emergency rule in Plateau) will have salutary effect on our political stability and security, and give commonality of purpose and direction to our political, social and economic initiatives, programmes and development. Please accept my highest consideration and convey my appreciation to all the responsible Senators (and members) for their positive and patriotic action," he said.

Meanwhile, displaced persons taking refuge in Bauchi have again resisted the temptation of going back to their former place of abode.

The displaced persons in a unison voice, when Alhaji Danjuma Goje and Ahmadu Adamu Mu’azu, the governors of Gombe and Bauchi State visited some of the camps in Bauchi declared that they have found new home in Bauchi and vowed never to return to Plateau State.

Governor Goje while sympathising with the displaced persons explained that the measures taken by the federal government in restoring peace to the troubled Plateau was in the interest of the country, and should not be viewed on either religious, political or ethnic dimensions.

According to Goje, the conflict in Plateau State has derailed and smeared the nation’s image abroad, and opined that only a decisive but courageous decision could redeem it.

The Gombe State governor, stressed that he was in support of the declaration of state of emergency in Plateau State, just as he commended the Bauchi State government for hosting the displaced persons.

The governor explained that such hospitality was rare and urged the displaced persons to reciprocate by being law abiding even as he donated the sum of N3 million.

But, the displaced persons in unison voice said they will resist any move by any government to get them going back to Plateau State.

Alhaji Mu’azu has told the displaced persons that General Chris Alli will visit them tomorrow and to see how possible they could return to Plateau State. But the displaced persons rejected the idea in unison, by shouting "ba ma so, ba ma so" a Hausa language for we don t want, we don’t want.

However, the governor announced that the Bauchi State government is ready to host them as citizens provided they promise to be law abiding, just as he declared that Zamfara, and Kaduna State governments have donated the sum of N4 and N3 million respectively, for their welfare, while Sokoto, Jigawa and Kano states have donated food items and blankets.

Since the outbreak of the sectarian violence in Plateau State in 2001, Bauchi State government is hosting over 40,000 displaced persons in different camps cut across the state.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

What a power drunk president? This angel* should be impeached! What sort of democracy are we runing in Nigeria?
http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com

The Times of Nigeria.
Breaking the news as it happens!
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

At least the legislators who live in the country support his actions rather than you name calling cowards who can type from the comfort of oyinbo land!
Bell

Post by Bell »

OFILIS, I DON'T SEE WHAT'S ANTI-DEMOCRATIC ABOUT IT

It's not like he's already assuming such powers. If the report is true, he has done what is required in a democracy, to wit, seek such powers from the people thru their elected reps in the legislature. That, to me, is consistent with democracy. Now it's up to the legislator to do what's right in their eyes - grant it or deny it.

Obasanjo has been criticized by many but these mayhems have been going on for many years and nobody (the press, legislators, public leaders, etc) has offered a solution yet. All they seem to do is criticize.

While I think Obasanjo's administration has been short of accomplishments and, in some cases, disastrous, I'm not worried about him becoming a dictator. My only anger is that he hasn't set the bar high enough for his successors.
Bell
ojemba
Egg
Egg

Post by ojemba »

These days I simply refuse to let the ignorance of those with a narrow definition of democracy irritate me. Let's for one moment forget about how the legislature got elected, from the illegitimate senate president to the Ghana must go reps and focus on what qualifies as a legitimate demcracy.

I guess there are those on this forum who do not know that Germany was a democracy under Hitler and that all the laws he made including those used to anihilate the Jews were approved by the legislature. Does anyone have to be reminded that the U.S. was a democracy when blacks were slaves or that apartheid South Africa was a democracy and Pieter Botha actually passed apartheid laws through the legislature. Heck, Zimbabwe is a democracy and so far everything Mugabe has done has the stamp of the legislature. This should be enough food for thought for the discerning.

Now those who truly know democracy and the rule of law and those who truly care about Nigeria's survival are speaking up
http://odili.net/news/source/2004/may/26/44.html
Obasanjo has a choice, and it is to give Nigeria one last chance at survival or choose a funeral date for that country. This roller coaster ride is surely going to come to an end one way or the other.
Last edited by ojemba on Thu May 27, 2004 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Obasanjo has been criticized by many but these mayhems have been going on for many years and nobody (the press, legislators, public leaders, etc) has offered a solution yet. All they seem to do is criticize.
So what solution has OBJ come up with?
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Bell wrote:OFILIS, I DON'T SEE WHAT'S ANTI-DEMOCRATIC ABOUT IT

It's not like he's already assuming such powers. If the report is true, he has done what is required in a democracy, to wit, seek such powers from the people thru their elected reps in the legislature. That, to me, is consistent with democracy. Now it's up to the legislator to do what's right in their eyes - grant it or deny it.

While I think Obasanjo's administration has been short of accomplishments and, in some cases, disastrous, I'm not worried about him becoming a dictator. My only anger is that he hasn't set the bar high enough for his successors.
Bell
He is already abusing the power he has and you support him to get more? Did he need this when he sent soldiers to wipe out a whole vilage in Odi? Is that not abusing power?

Yourself and OBJ have been told the solution in many ways yet you refuse to listen giving ridiculous excuse. If you still don't get it , its called a natioanal conference. The solution is by dialogue not by the gun or intimidation.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Roll on the one party State....

Eyadema, Mugabe, Campaore, Bongo....y'all thought we couldn't do it, that Abacha was a blip. Now you know... :(
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

ojemba wrote:These days I simply refuse to let the ignorance of those with a narrow definition of democracy irritate me. Let's for one moment forget about how the legislature got elected, from the illegitimate senate president to the Ghana must go reps and focus on what qualifies as a legitimate demcracy.

I guess there are those on this forum who do not know that Germany was a democracy under Hitler and that all the laws he made including those used to anihilate the Jews were approved by the legislature. Does anyone have to be reminded that the U.S. was a democracy when blacks were slaves or that apartheid South Africa was a democracy and Pieter Botha actually passed apartheid laws through the legislature. Heck, Zimbabwe is a democracy and so far everything Mugabe has done has the stamp of the legislature. This should be enough food for thought for the discerning.

Now those who truly know democracy and the rule of law and those who truly care about Nigeria's survival are speaking up
http://odili.net/news/source/2004/may/26/44.html
Obasanjo has a choice, and it is to give Nigeria one last chance at survival or choose a funeral date for that country. This roller coaster ride is surely going to come to an end one way or the other.
Thank you.
Some people think the mere semblance of democracy is the answer but after six years of this shambles i would have thought they would start to change their minds. There has to be a foundation of justice that democracy is built upon. A formula that irons out the frictions between the ethnic and religious groups.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Bell
Bell,
Ignore this people . What is the man expected to do. I feel he should have done this from day one. A little too late by my account.
He should have drawn the battle line a long time ago.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Prince wrote:

Bell
Bell,
Ignore this people . What is the man expected to do. I feel he should have done this from day one. A little too late by my account.
How i wish your village was Odi and your parents lived there when the soldiers started their genocide. You would have had a different view.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Prince wrote:

Bell
Bell,
Prince / Bell, for your information, these new powers that Obasanjo is seeking will not be erased after he leaves office in 2007. This means if Babangida whom most of you hate is SELECTED president, he would have the power to declare state of emergency in any state he wishes, and will have additional power of detention. I hope your support doesn't waiver then.

One good thing about this site is that because it is addictive, people tend to hang around for a long time. 3 years is not as far as it seems, and we will here to see how your support from this brand of democracy holds.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Talk IT wrote:
Prince wrote:

Bell
Bell,
How i wish your village was Odi and your parents lived there when the soldiers started their genocide. You would have had a different view.
1naija,
If IBB feels there is violence in a state and he writes to the National Assembly to get authourity to use the power then why not.
My ma, the chaos in Nigeria is there for all to see. If you think over fifty thousand people dying senseleslsly in mindless violence over the past six years with no end in sight is not cause for emergency then I wonder for you my broda.

Only 3,000 died in twin tower collapse and heightened state of alert was declared.

TalkIT ,
I hope you become a Pastor and have thriving church in Kano and rumours starts that you just tore a Quran
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

TalkIT ,
I hope you become a Pastor and have thriving church in Kano and rumours starts that you just tore a Quran
:D :D :D
On a serious note does that justify burning my church?
Why am against all these power OBJ wants to acquire is because using force is not the solution but dialogue. He used force in Odi and see where it lead to. Is that the kind of force you guys are advocating for? The man has not got the power but he is able to wipe out a whole village.
Bell

Post by Bell »

TALK IT/1NAIJA

Please point out a statement in my post that:

1) Suggests I'm a supporter of Obasanjo
2) Indicates that I agree that he should be granted the powers he's seeking.

Just in case you tarry in your response, all I said was:

1) People who are criticizing but have never offered a solution in five years.
2) That it's not undemocratic for the president to seek powers; it's up to the legislature to grant or deny the request.

How could these interpreted as support for Obasanjo?
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIVE IN AMERICA...

...Bush has sought new powers since nine-eleven: does that make him anti-democratic?
Bell
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Bell wrote:FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIVE IN AMERICA...

...Bush has sought new powers since nine-eleven: does that make him anti-democratic?
Bell
Bell:
I do not see a parallel here. You can come up with something better. Concerning Bush and his Patriots Act, you wait for a rollback when a new President takes office in November.

The Times of Nigeria.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Bell wrote:FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO LIVE IN AMERICA...

Bell
Actually, yes
Bell

Post by Bell »

OFILIS, I THOUGHT THE PARALLELS WERE OBVIOUS

Both leaders perceive serious threat to their nations. Both felt that existing presidential powers are insufficient to adequately deal with the threat. Then both proceed to their legislatures to seek additional powers, amid howls from those who are skeptical of such powers in the hands of one person and who also legitimately fear how such powers would be used by future leaders. In the case of Bush, the Congress passed it (even if there are those who were and are still opposed); in the case of Obasanjo, we are yet to hear from the legislature. Aren't those enough paralles?
Bell
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Bell wrote:OFILIS, I THOUGHT THE PARALLELS WERE OBVIOUS

Both leaders perceive serious threat to their nations. Both felt that existing presidential powers are insufficient to adequately deal with the threat. Then both proceed to their legislatures to seek additional powers, amid howls from those who are skeptical of such powers in the hands of one person and who also legitimately fear how such powers would be used by future leaders. In the case of Bush, the Congress passed it (even if there are those who were and are still opposed); in the case of Obasanjo, we are yet to hear from the legislature. Aren't those enough paralles?
Bell
Bell:
How do you compare 911 to a communal clash in Nigeria? Having said that, I am still against the Patriot Act and will let my vote speak for me come November.

The Times of Nigeria.
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

ojemba, Thank you my brother. Very well said. Obasanjo and his likes are only there to feather their own nest and continue the looting of the treasury. Obasanjo does not care about Nigeria. He only cares about his pocket or bank account. Just take a look at Nigeria. Nothing is working: electricity, water, telephone. Any one that says that the Ghana must go lawmakers we have are products of democracy are deceiving themselves. The Obasanjo administration is there for only one purpose: To help the corrupt retired Generals like Babaginda to protect their loot. OBJ does not care about the average Nigerian. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing.
1. Always a fan of good football

2. ".........there really should be some folks that any decent person should not be associated with -- even if desperation makes strange bedfellows." - Gotti
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

On the Patriot Act: The fact that the legislature passed it into law does not make it constitutional. The fact that no one has challenged the constitutionality of the Patriot Act does not make it constitutional. The fact that it was challenged and the courts refuse to strike it down does not mean that the courts are right. In times like these, some courts allow governments to take unconstitutional actions. Before Brown v. The Board of Ed. came down, the Supreme Court fiercely supported and endorsed racial segregation. Even your current Chief Justice Rehnquist, wrote a memorandum as a Supreme Court law clerk for one of the Justices in that case urging vehemently that segragation should be preserved and that it was good for America. People need to read more to understand what is going on, instead of relying on CNN as gospel.

Remember the slavery and civil rights movement era. America claimed that it practiced a democracy, when blacks and women could not vote. Women could not vote until the 60s or so. Don't use the term democracy too loosely. The actions of the soldiers in the Iraqi prison has damaged the appeal of democracy as far as the middle east is concerned. They are saying now: "if this is what democracy means, we don't want it." They are saying "good riddance."
Last edited by ola34 on Thu May 27, 2004 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1. Always a fan of good football

2. ".........there really should be some folks that any decent person should not be associated with -- even if desperation makes strange bedfellows." - Gotti
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

ola34 wrote:ojemba, Thank you my brother. Very well said. Obasanjo and his likes are only there to feather their own nest and continue the looting of the treasury. Obasanjo does not care about Nigeria. He only cares about his pocket or bank account. Just take a look at Nigeria. Nothing is working: electricity, water, telephone. Any one that says that the Ghana must go lawmakers we have are products of democracy are deceiving themselves. The Obasanjo administration is there for only one purpose: To help the corrupt retired Generals like Babaginda to protect their loot. OBJ does not care about the average Nigerian. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Did they work before him? Would they work after him? Do you have any proof the he is looting the treasury?
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.