Arsenal's Kanu to seek late link-up with Nigeria squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

LONDON, Jan 9 (Reuters) - Arsenal striker Nwankwo Kanu is to seek permission from Nigeria to join their African Nations Cup squad late so that he can play a premier league match for the English club.

Under FIFA rules, Nigeria can insist that the 27-year-old joins them next Thursday after they leave a training camp in Portugal.

But Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is hoping Kanu can persuade Nigeria coach Christian Chukwu to let him play for the north Londoners against Aston Villa on January 18.

The Nations Cup starts in Tunisia on January 24.

Arsenal strikers Dennis Bergkamp and Sylvain Wiltord are both injured and Wenger wants to keep Kanu for as long as possible before he misses up to four weeks of English football while on international duty.

"Kanu will sort out his own situation next week by talking to the Nigerian national coach," Wenger said on Friday.

"I want him to go to the African Nations Cup because I respect that players want to play for their country, but I want him to go as late as possible.

"I believe it is also ideal for Nigeria to allow him to play for Arsenal against Aston Villa because otherwise he would just be sitting in a pre-tournament camp and not playing competitively.

"However, if there is no agreement with Nigeria then we will have to respect the rules and release him before the Aston Villa game.

"It is annoying for me that he will miss Arsenal games, but I cannot complain because I knew when I signed him that he would go away for games in Africa."
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

Leave him out of the team if he reports that late. Why the morons sought to exclude Uche kalu and Opabunmi is beyond me.
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

I support Kanu if Wenger promises to give him a new contract. I think that's why he's doing this, he want's to impress Wenger.

I don't blame him though.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Leave him out of the team if he reports that late. Why the morons sought to exclude Uche kalu and Opabunmi is beyond me.
Thank you my brother
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

The decision is not Papi's to make. It is up to CCC. My view is CCC should say if Arsenal's gain maens SE loss. QED.
Last edited by Waffiman on Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Wenger is a *kindperson*!So na now em get Value for Kanu abi?Whats the use,i mean Kanu might as well just stay at higbury because he makes no difference on the team regardless.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

omey2k4 wrote:Wenger is a *kindperson*!So na now em get Value for Kanu abi?Whats the use,i mean Kanu might as well just stay at higbury because he makes no difference on the team regardless.
I was feeling you untill you got to the "he makes no difference on the team regardless" part. You head dey house so? :x

With that said, Kanu needs to get to camp soon. I will ring Kanu up today to see what's up with him. He needs to be in camp.
authority
Egg
Egg

Post by authority »

Kanu need ANC more than anything now and to be in camp as soon as possible .Gone are those days when he was indispensible. There more productive players now in camp .If he does not report on time then CCC should drop him.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

omey2k4 wrote:Wenger is a *kindperson*!So na now em get Value for Kanu abi?Whats the use,i mean Kanu might as well just stay at higbury because he makes no difference on the team regardless.
Sharraaapppp dia one time!!!! If he nor go make difference why he wan keep Papi. You don see am play recently. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Egunje
Egg
Egg

Post by Egunje »

Kanu is just wasting his time, he should report to camp immediately, Wenger will put him back on the bench once Dennis Bergkamp and Sylvain Wiltord are okay. He can go and impress at ANC to attract new clubs.
authority
Egg
Egg

Post by authority »

Egunje you are the man , point well made .
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Irrespective of whether kanu needs a new contract or not, CCC should say no to further extention before he joins camp. If we start agreeing like this, we will find it very difficult in the future to insist on the enforcement of these rules which FIFA put in place to protect against these kinds of situations.
To stop trying is to start dying