euro previews for january 10/11

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

femi
Egg
Egg
euro previews for january 10/11

Post by femi »

KANU SET TO SLAM BORO
Nwankwo Kanu is gunning for consolidation of his return to excellent form as he goes out in action with Arsenal against Middlesbrough in this weekend’s Premiership League fixture. Kanu got The Gunners’ only goal against Everton in a mid-week 1-1 draw and will be eager for another strike this weekend to confirm his revitalized form as the two teams embark on the first of four matches against each other in 18 days that will see them compete in the Premiership, the Carling Cup semi-finals over two legs, and the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Kanu is expected in action for Arsenal who have kept clean sheets in the last four League and Cup games against Middlesbrough, including the reverse fixture in August when they toyed with the Teessiders, and won 0-4. The Gunners are also vying for a third successive 'double' against Boro, fourth in the Premiership and 15th overall in the League.
OKOCHA DARES BLACKBURN ROVERS
Austin Okocha is looking forward to field day of piercing through the ranks of Blackburn Rovers in this weekend’s Premiership fixture as he will line out for Bolton Wanderers against a truly depleted host team. Okocha’s hopes for a resurgence after the home loss to Manchester United in mid-week is mostly due to the fact that Blackburn Rovers have doubts over their first-choice central defensive pairing of Craig Short and Andy Todd, with hamstring and calf injuries respectively. The Bolton skipper will also be out with a look on the record books… if he gets into the eleven, he'll be making his 50th start for the Trotters.
WILL OKORONKWO PLAY?
Each time Wolves go out in action, the big question all Nigerians ask is: will Isaac Okoronkwo play? That’s the same big question they are all asking as this weekend’s fixture pits Wolves away against Charlton Athletic. Okoronkwo’s team are the visitors and the crucial nature of the tie may cost him the chance of his Premiership debut. Wolves head for the Valley without an away win in any competition this season, and they are sitting shaky on a run of five Premiership defeats on the road in which 15 goals have been shipped in against them.

On the other hand, all Nigerian eyes could be on George Ndah who is lingering on the verge of a bold return from injury. If on the field at kick off, Ndah would be making his 50th start for the Black Country club. Wolves will move off the foot with a win, if Leeds United do no more than draw at home to Tottenham Hotspur.

BIG FITNESS TEST FOR YOBO
After sitting out the entire 90 minutes in Everton’s 1-1 draw with Arsenal in mid-week, Joseph Yobo has the chance to prove he is really up and doing once more as he visits Fulham for a Premiership League fixture this weekend. Yobo’s last outing with Everton was as a sub in their FA Cup tango, but he has a golden chance to prove a point with some key players missing for this weekend’s league fixture.

It promises to be a consolidation outing as Everton have lost only one of their last six Premiership matches. David Moyes' side denied Arsenal victory in midweek with a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park. Now they strive to improve an away run of three defeats in four Premiership matches and go in search of only their second maximum points on the road. The Merseysiders are also hoping to avoid a fourth successive defeat on Fulham turf. They won the reverse fixture 3-1 this season to keep their unbeaten home league record against the Cottagers and have put themselves on course for a fourth league 'double' over them.

YAKUBU GOES FOR KILL
Yakubu Aiyegbeni is basking in the euphoria of his recent return to goals scoring form; and it will be the gusto he needs to drive him forward in the hunt for goals that can give Portsmouth the day against Manchester City this weekend. Fortunately for him, both him and the team have a lot of favourable records going in their favour in the build-up to this match, tops of these being that Portsmouth are gunning for a third win in five home meetings with Manchester City.

Another favourable fact in favour of Aiyegbeni’s team as they play host this weekend is that Manchester City are on a run of three consecutive draws, having been held to a 1-1 score line by Charlton in midweek. Furthermore, Portsmouth provided the opposition for their visitors’ first Premiership game at the new, plush City of Manchester Stadium. A crowd of 46,000 turned up to see a battling performance from City who equalised in stoppage time from a free kick to cancel out Yakubu Aiyegbeni's opener. Surely, the gangling Nigerian striker will be looking for another goal against them in this weekend’s fixture.

BABAYARO SEEKS IN-ROADS WITH CHELSEA
Celestine Babayaro is looking for regular playing time with Chelsea under Claudio Ranieri’s rotational policy. The left-wing back played last in the FA Cup clash with Watford and looks good for another shirt this weekend against Leicester City as The Blues seek to avoid back-to-back defeats for the first time in 29 Premiership matches, following Wednesday's devastating home defeat by Liverpool, which left them seven points off the pace. Babayaro’s chances for a shirt look bright.

NIGERIAN KIDS DAZZLE SOUTH AFRICA
Four emergent Nigerian players have started setting high marks in South Africa where they are on trials with first division club, Jomo Cosmos. The four players were in action for the Johannesburg-based club in a reserves match and they all put up sterling performances, with one of them, Daniel Gabriel, even scoring the first goal as their team won 2-1. Samuel Anyaele was superb in mid-field while Kunle Bajowa dazzled with his skills down the left flank.
Ayo Oluwafemi came in after half-time to also thrill the fans at left wing back. Jomo Cosmos assistant coach, Collen Thelmo heaped all praise on the Nigerian kids and gave strong recommendations about them to the club owner and former South African national team coach, Jomo Sono. The coach said he will love to see how consistent the boys can be when he lines them out for another friendly match against a top flight team this weekend.
OKOCHA AVOIDS CONTRACT TALKS
Austin Jay-Jay Okocha has declared that he is more concerned about playing football than planning contract talks. The Nigerian playmaker, whose current deal expires at the end of the season, is due to head off to the Africa Nations Cup in Tunisia shortly. Before then, the former PSG star has some vital club business to take care of starting with the derby against Blackburn today. 'I don't want to start thinking about my contract situation yet,' he said. 'I just want to concentrate on the games I am playing. When the time comes I will make a decision. Before I came to Bolton I was free and I didn't get many offers”.

The Bolton skipper added: “I am quite happy here. I am very grateful I got the opportunity to play in the Premiership with Bolton and I want to pay them back. That is what I am doing. It is always nice to be among the best teams but not everyone can do that. At Bolton it is like a family. It is always a joy coming into training.' Okocha insists he is his own man. 'I always try to be myself, to try and play my own game, no matter what the situation is. When things are going wrong, people get nervous, they forget that it’s all about football and put themselves under pressure. I try to forget about the problems and do my best.'
OBAFEMI, OBODO, MAKINWA UNDER FOCUS
Three Nigeria players are in the news ahead of this weekend’s fixture in Italy. First is Christian Obodo who looks good for a shirt as Perugia look for an unlikely first win at home against Serie A leaders, AS Roma. Then comes Stephen Ayodele Makinwa who will be on the sidelines with his new club, Modena as they visit Siena, and last of them will be Obafemi Martins who is guaranteed a shirt with Inter Milan away to AC Parma today.
OGUNSOTO GOES FOR TWO MILLION
More value has been added in the transfer web around former Julius Berger football club hit man, Patrick Babatunde Ogunsoto. The latest being that his second division club in Greece, Ergotelis are asking for a whopping two million euros as his transfer fee. The club’s president, Jorge Sutakos stated as much when he declared: “Many clubs have come forward to request for his transfer. If we are to lose him, it has to be for the right price.”

The Ergotelis club president, however, pointed out that the fee they are asking for Ogunsoto’s transfer is still quite below what they value him at. He stated: “We value him over two million euros, but we can accept that figure as a first offer.” He also admitted that top Greek first division clubs, Panathinaikos and Olympiakos have been joined in the hunt for Ogunsoto’s transfer by Perugia, Parma and Bologna of Italy, but said Ergotelis need the Nigerian attacker’s services dearly and only a fat price will make them sell him.
ETUHU PAIRS BAFANA STAR
d#$% Etuhu will be happy to have his team mate from South Africa in the Preston line-up as they travel to West Ham for this weekend’s Nationwide League away fixture. The good news for Etuhu and his club is that South African striker, George Koumantarakis could figure for Preston after being deselected from the national squad for the friendly with Mauritius following coach Ephraim 'Shakes' Mashaba’s suspension. Etuhu and mates travel to London with almost a fully squad while only suspended Michael Jackson and injured Marlon Broomes are absent.
OKECHUKWU BATTLES FORMER CLUB IN TURKEY
Top Nigerian focus in Turkey this weekend should definitely be the fixture that will see former Super Eagles captain, Uche Okechukwu battle his former club, Fernebahce as he stays at home with their city mates, Istanbulspor, for a local derby. The player fondly called Gentle Giant is enjoying a vein of revitalized form, even with a couple of goals to his name so far in the season, and he should be all out with fury to smother the fire-power of his former team mates.
Also in Turkey today, Raphael Chukwu Ndukwe will also be out to consolidate on revitalized top form as he joins his new club, Rizespor in a battle away to Ankaragucu. Tomorrow will be the turn of Ike Shorunmu and Mutiu Adepoju to taste action as they should line out in action for Samsunspor in an away fixture against another high-flying Turkish team, Besiktas, who once paid the wages of Daniel Amokachi. Samsunspor lost the reverse fixtureat home and will have to do much more if they are to stand any chance of leaving Istanbul unscathed.
these previews are for saturday, january 10, 2004.
fatty
Egg
Egg

Post by fatty »

A beg, make u dey try to put youe source, this piece is one of the copy and paste which we are complaning about here, or you wanted to be changed for plagiarisms?
Lets give this site a credible name.
From green to super, eagles are soaring to Golden.