Best OLD SCHOOL reggea DJs

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet
Best OLD SCHOOL reggea DJs

Post by Nkume »

Man before dance hall, during the time of roots, they had some bad chanters and DJs. My top 5

Prince Far I
Dillinger
Sugar Minott
Yellow Man
Dr. Aliminato

Plus Uroy and Iroy, two bad DJ!
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Dillinger CB200 first album I ever bought :lol:
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

Waggy T..That asian boy played some good stuff on his Chinese Laundry series............ :shock:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Nkume I like ya top 5, exceptI would put Tappa Zukie before Sugar Minott in there. And I'm a bit iffy on Dillinger. Famous, yes but I don't know if he was all THAT good.
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

AreaDaddy wrote:Dillinger CB200 first album I ever bought :lol:
AD: Chei! You “young” like that bobo in your avatar :lol: . You be top man o! Very few bobos been dey buy record when CB200 came out. Record store go get one copy and then charge 5 naira to make tape for everybody.

My friend been buy CB200 and I go borrow the ting and no go return am for a very long time. The album had some kicking tunes – CB200, Cocaine in my brain, Smoke a chalice ina Buckingham Palace, etc. My elder bro come buy Dillinger’s next album – Bionic Dread, which was also firing.

Old school ragga was pioneered by U-Roy, it was called toasting back in the day. That him Go there Natty Dread album did not have a bad tune. My fav na Fire in a Trenchtown. What a wicked baseline.

Then King Yellowman come take things to the next level. For me he was the best of the old school. Bobo had everything, the rhymes, the humour, etc.

My other favourites were Peter Metro – he and Yellow used to lyrically yab each other, Lt Stitchie, and Brigadier Jerry.
bigapple
Egg
Egg

Post by bigapple »

AreaDaddy wrote:Dillinger CB200 first album I ever bought :lol:
You old oh!
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

CICOB, Big Apple

which one una dey...why una dey harass me like this. I am a young-ish bobo, na my age mate dey dat my Avatar.

My elder cousin who used to live with us at the time was a heavy reggae fan and he was into all sorts of old school jamaican music, till today I have no idea where he got his influences from. Anyhow he arranged for me to get that record and I just loved the title track on the album back then. The LP go still dey our house for Naija even now.

That time also we used to have one ex-army guy that lived in our compound and the guy dey play him Max Romeo album like 30 times a day while smoking his herbs. I loved that album...."War in a babylon", "Norman the gambler", "Uptown babaies don't cry"...those were classic tunes.

Reggae was the music I was weaned on, although later on I joined the soul \ R&B wagon, but there is always a place in my musical heart for reggae tunes especially concious lyrics.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

AreaDaddy wrote:CICOB, Big Apple

which one una dey...why una dey harass me like this. I am a young-ish bobo, na my age mate dey dat my Avatar.

My elder cousin who used to live with us at the time was a heavy reggae fan and he was into all sorts of old school jamaican music, till today I have no idea where he got his influences from. Anyhow he arranged for me to get that record and I just loved the title track on the album back then. The LP go still dey our house for Naija even now.

That time also we used to have one ex-army guy that lived in our compound and the guy dey play him Max Romeo album like 30 times a day while smoking his herbs. I loved that album...."War in a babylon", "Norman the gambler", "Uptown babaies don't cry"...those were classic tunes.

Reggae was the music I was weaned on, although later on I joined the soul \ R&B wagon, but there is always a place in my musical heart for reggae tunes especially concious lyrics.
Chie Area Daddy War Ina babylon was the tune! :shock:
Don't forget other lee Perry produced hits like
Whip down Babylon, Curly locks - Junior Byles
Police and Thiefs - Junior Murvin
Don't Blame it on I - Lee Perry himself
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Ziontrain wrote:Nkume I like ya top 5, exceptI would put Tappa Zukie before Sugar Minott in there. And I'm a bit iffy on Dillinger. Famous, yes but I don't know if he was all THAT good.
Yeah, I am a bit biased when it comes to Sugar Minott, but Dillinger is up their, a solid toaster, surpassinng his own mentor Dennis Al Capone.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

ninjaman the baddest ragge dj of all time
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

marko wrote:ninjaman the baddest ragge dj of all time
I agree..He is up there....Remember "Murder Dem"????? Classic.................
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

yes border clash-ultimate clash tune-if you watch sting,you will know thT NINJAMAN IS THE BADDEST CLASH DJ
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko