The Fans' award vs. the Establishment's award:

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

PapaK
Egg
Egg
The Fans' award vs. the Establishment's award:

Post by PapaK »

Which one would you rather win?

FIFA voted Pele as the all time greatest, but also honored Maradona as the fans' choice based on the result of internet polls. Maradona received his award before Pele's, he quickly went out of the arena declaring himself as the 'People's player' and Pele as the 'Player of the establishment'

Recently, FIFA's candidates for FOY have raised not a few eyebrows among fans, and on many occassions, FIFA's choice never tallies with the fans' choice (usually expressed with Ballon d'Or). Somehow, I personally think FIFA's award may soon lose credibility.

The CAF's award is almost following similar pattern. What makes CAF's award even riskier is the composition of panelists (selected representatives from African countries). These men are no doubt biased in favour of their country men. Segun Odegbami for instance have been campaigning for Okocha to be player of the year since June 2003! He's not a member of the voting committee, but it is almost unthinkable to expect Aisha Falode who is a member to vote for anyone else other than Okocha, considering the interest NFA as public expressed by Ogunjobi have in Okocha winning it. Similarly, I expect the Cameroonians to vote for Eto'o, the french speakers in the committee will almost likely vote for Eto'o just as the english speakers would for Okocha.

Since I'm a member of the fans who actually pay the money that keeps the establishment up there, I will from now on start to respect the choice of France Football's Ballon d'Or more than FIFA's choice, and the choice of BBC readers more than CAF's choice.

I know CAF had since finished their voting and are still keeping their result a secret, but whenever it is announced, I wont pay attention to it.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

You have to factor in the population of BBC website hits from the respective countries.

I assume you'd find, in order of population:

1. Naija, especially all the ngbati ngbati's.
2. Ghana
3. Cameroon

There's no coincidence that we got the BBC result in this order
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Jiggerman21 wrote:You have to factor in the population of BBC website hits from the respective countries.

2. Ghana
3. Cameroon

not necessarily. Was it Senegalese that bombarded the BBC site to vote for El 'diving' Diouf the last time he won it? BBC readers are all over the world and dont be surprised if there were more Europeans voters than the so-called 'ngbati, ngbati' people. I believe this is the 1st time a Naija person is winning the award since they started. What happened the years before, especially when Kuffour won it?
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

There were clear winners with Diouf and Kuffour.

Though I love JJ to death and voted for him, I really think Eto'o desrves to win this year. How do you explain Appiah in 2nd?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Between the Axis of Yasef, Suya, Chima and THEophilus FANta, no one stood a chance... :oops:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Jiggerman21 wrote:There were clear winners with Diouf and Kuffour.

Though I love JJ to death and voted for him, I really think Eto'o desrves to win this year. How do you explain Appiah in 2nd?
Certainly, the race was tight this year. No doubt. I cant tell you exactly why Appiah is 2nd because I never even watch Juventus. Nevertheless, it must have taken more than just Nigerian and Ghanaian voters to put JJ and Appiah in front. Eto'o being in the top 3 shows that he was recognized by the voters. I belief there were more than 500 options in round 1 before the 3 of them came top.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

No doubt, the top three may deserve to be there. However, who carries the day? I really think the title belongs to Eto'o but that's only my opinion. I'm thrilled for JJ none-the-less.
ofilis
Egg
Egg

Post by ofilis »

Jiggerman21 wrote:You have to factor in the population of BBC website hits from the respective countries.

2. Ghana
3. Cameroon

Jiggerman21:

You are assuming that all Nigerians voted for JJ. Right? Foul. I don't think so.
http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com

The Times of Nigeria.
Breaking the news as it happens!
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Cellular wrote:Between the Axis of Yasef, Suya, Chima and THEophilus FANta, no one stood a chance... :oops:
Cellular:
you are missing the point. OK, is it Pavel Nedved's shriners that rigged the Ballon d'Or award for him, while FIFA coaches (most of them mumu) voted Zidane, Henry and Ronaldo ahead of him?

My point is that the fans are seeing better than the establishments.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

PapaK,

Supposing ANC declares JJ as the winner, what would you do then?
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

So you think fans are more credible than coaches?

Fans' and sports writers' awards often disagree with coaches' awards. I would go with the coaches, not sensation.
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:PapaK,

I would simply assume they guessed right. They do sometimes anyway (e.g. when Yekini won it in 93).
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

PapaK wrote:
Larry Ashagbe wrote:PapaK,

I would simply assume they guessed right. They do sometimes anyway (e.g. when Yekini won it in 93).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: