MARTINS' DELIGHT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

geminikoat
Egg
Egg
MARTINS' DELIGHT

Post by geminikoat »

CULLED FROM BBC AFRICA sports

Martins delighted with debut

By Tope Agboola
BBC Sport

Martins's debut ended speculation he may play for Cameroon
Inter Milan's teenage striker Obafemi Martins has said that he is very happy to have finally played his first game for Nigeria.

The 19-year-old made his long awaited Super Eagles debut on Saturday in a 3-0 win over the Republic of Ireland, scoring the second goal, in the tri-nations Unity Cup tournament in London.

"I feel great wearing the Nigerian green, white and green colour for the first time," Martins told BBC Sport.

Martins, who has had a fine season with Italian giants Inter, had previously turned down invitations to playing the Super Eagles - although he had promised to be available for future engagements.

"Now I have put the past behind me, and at any time Nigeria call on me, I will make myself available," he added.

Martins' debut for Nigeria has now ended any hopes rival West African country Cameroon had of persuading the teenager to play for them.

Cameroon had named Martins in a squad for an Olympic qualifier, although he did not attend that match.

"It is not true that I am from Cameroon, I am a Nigerian and I remain loyal to my country," said Martins.

The stocky Martins was named Africa's Young Player Of The Year and scored 11 goals in Italian and European competitions for Inter in the just-concluded European season.
...but with God all things are possible...
Dr. Wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

Our neighbours seem to have deserted us, where are the lions of the forum? Can we at least hear you purr? lol
Last edited by Dr. Wazobia on Sun May 30, 2004 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- Let brotherly love continue ---
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Kudos to the chap; hopefully he'll not catch the Ogbeche "one-hit wonder syndrome."

The future of the SE is looking great again. I hope the older generation will start to make way for the young bloods; gradually albeit.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

The boy's quality is not in question; no wonder Cameroun tried to poach him from under our nose.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Btw, good job by CCC and the entire coaching crew. I hope he learns a thing or two from the line-up and the need to infuse some of these youngsters in the team for the Rwanda match.

Goodluck to the SE.
yaro maiwayo
Egg
Egg

Post by yaro maiwayo »

fact already known :lol: nice post :wink:
hey hey hey
smoke weed everyday
take a stack a day
to keep the doctor away
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Yujam where art thou? Got mixed feelings don't ya? Obodo ya man was awesome and Oba was "awesomer" :D

But you've been man enough to accept the eggs on ya face. Next time look b4 u leap bro.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

The Indomiatable lions must be roaring in agony right now locked up in the bottomless pit of uncertainty as to the future of the aging and wounded lions.

I am sure they'll be back tho; sometimes in the year 2006. The SE must seize the opportunity to reign supreme on the African continent now like we did from 94-98.

Our 4 year of opportunity begins now till the mundial in Germany!