Kanoute denies Spurs rift

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marto
Egg
Egg

Post by marto »

Kanoute cleared to play for Mali
Freddie Kanoute denied any bust-up with Tottenham over his appearance in the African Nations Cup.
Tottenham's French-born leading scorer is set to play for Mali, his parents' birthplace, in the event in Tunisia.

Newspaper reports in France claimed Kanoute criticised Spurs for attempting to block his participation.

"There have been no problems between me and the club," Kanoute told Tottenham's website. "I didn't say those things. I'm not happy with the stories."

He added: "I haven't spoken to any journalists in England, only to one in France.

"The journalist has said I was upset with the club because they wanted to prevent me going but this is not true.

It means a lot to play in this competition. It will be an honour

Freddie Kanoute

"I have had discussions with the manager, the board and chairman Daniel Levy and everything was all right.

"I understand the club's point of view. It's difficult because they didn't think I could go until FIFA made its late decision. That is all I've said.

"It is difficult for me because I didn't want to leave the club in this situation.

"That's why I was so happy we won the last game because I can now go freer in my mind.

"But for me, it means a lot to play in this competition. It will be an honour."

Kanoute has scored 12 goals this season and Tottenham are unhappy at losing him for five or six games as they fight for Premiership survival.

They are still hoping Mali will let him play against Liverpool on 17 January before leaving on international duty.

bbc.co.uk
MOUNT UP WITH WINGS AS EAGLE - THE EAGLESPUR