Talk about Sour grapes? Read what the Irish Coach has to say

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mblack76
Egg
Egg
Talk about Sour grapes? Read what the Irish Coach has to say

Post by mblack76 »

Just call it Unity flop
By NEIL O'RIORDAN

BRIAN KERR last night launched a broadside against the organisers of the Unity Cup, which is quickly descending into farce.

But FAI chief executive Fran Rooney has insisted that the hugely-disappointing attendances at The Valley will not hit the association in the pocket as they received their matches fees up front.

Kerr watched Nigeria defeat Jamaica in the second match of the triangular tournament and used the occasion to hit out at agents Optima Sports Management International.

The Ireland boss is fuming that Charlton Athletic hired out their ground for 29 corporate matches since the end of the season leaving the state of the pitch far from satisfactory for a senior game.

As if that was not bad enough, a Gaelic football match was played prior to their 3-0 defeat against Nigeria on Saturday, Ireland’s worst result for nine years.

The only saving grace for the FAI was they had already banked a 260,000 appearance fee for going to London.

But Kerr snapped: “Somebody showed a lack of respect in the arrangements that were made for this tournament. The whole package was not right.

“I spoke to Charlton’s Matt Holland a few weeks ago and he said the pitch was in the best shape it had ever been in. But since the end of the season, 29 corporate matches have been played on the pitch, which obviously haven’t helped.

“And when we arrived at the ground on Saturday, there was a Gaelic football match going on. It was very frustrating for me to walk out and see that.

“We went from playing in front of 42,000 on a good pitch at Lansdowne Road to playing on an awful surface with just 7,000 watching. There were so many empty seats.

“It wasn’t a case of being hard for me to lift the players. It was hard for them to lift themselves.

“It was annoying to lose the way we did on Saturday, but we can live with that, but the things that have gone on are annoying to say the least.”

The state of the pitch and the poor attendances are just two examples of the chaos that has surrounded this competition.

After Saturday’s match, Nigerian boss Christian Chukwu was unable to identify one of his players.

One substitute who was introduced towards the end had not appeared on the team sheet, but Chukwu could not say who he was, although it is believed that the player had arrived after the game had started.

And yesterday it was suggested that referee Steve Bennett was reluctant to take to the field until he was given his match fee in advance.

A clearly-rattled Rooney - who looked like he had been on the receiving end of a tongue-lashing from Kerr himself - tried to look on the positive side. Rooney said: “We got our money up front. We received 130,000 per game. We got the first payment on May 1 and the second on May 24 and that was one of the conditions of our participation.

“But this has not been ideal. A lot of organisation goes into an international match and getting things right, but the organisers seemed to have left a lot to chance.

“They are qualified FIFA match agents so we had no reason to think that things would not be organised in a professional manner. But it is very disappointing that only 7,000 people turned out to see Ireland in London so, clearly, the pricing and distribution of the tickets was an issue. The fact that they gave us tickets only last week did not help.

“But I suppose what we have learned is that, when you play away from home, you cannot control every aspect and it is important that you learn how to deal with adversity.”

Kerr lost another player yesterday when he was informed by defeated play-off finalists West Ham that David Connolly would not be released because of a groin problem.

A similar complaint will prevent Jason McAteer from linking up with the squad but Kerr has not yet called up Glen Crowe or Jason Byrne.

He said: “We have enough players as it is for Wednesday. John O’Shea will be available again so that will be 24, which will be sufficient for us.”

Kerr said Saturday’s defeat had hurt him and reacted to criticism for not fielding two different teams for the games against Romania and Nigeria.He said: “Some players had to play twice within 48 hours and the reality was that they were not able to do it but, had I had the 31 players I wanted to have, then it would have been two different teams.”

Kerr revealed Ireland would go back to basics in an attempt to get the better of Jamaica.

He said: “We tried to pass the ball around against Nigeria but, because of the state of the pitch, it was to our detriment.
“The way we played wasn’t effective and we are going to have to mix it up a bit more in the second game.”

Meanwhile Netherlands coach d#$% Advocaat named midfielder Paul Bosvelt on Monday to replace the injured Mark van Bommel in his Euro 2004 squad.

The 34-year-old Bosvelt, who plays for Manchester City, earned his chance after Van Bommel was ruled out with Achilles problems.

He has played 21 internationals, including three matches at Euro 2000.

The Dutch, who lost 1-0 at home to neighbours Belgium in a friendly on Saturday, travel to Switzerland on Monday for a five-day training camp.

They play Ireland on Saturday before kicking off their Euro 2004 campaign against Germany on June 15.

The Czech Republic and Latvia are the other teams in Group D.
“I can play with people’s emotions when I want to make an impact. It’s one way to get the best out of people.” Jose Mourinho (March 08, 2005)
"Again Mblack, I have no beef with you as I actually respect you a lot." SAwosika (May 14, 2005)
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

Firstly what's your source? . Secondly if true, my good friends at OSMI might be struggling to break even assuming they paid each team 130,000 per match...I couldn't help but keep my eyes on the attendance figures and it is disheartening as a promoter to see empty seats for a huge event like this.

If I recall they had a similar problem with the Nigeria vs. Brazil match in Abuja.
mblack76
Egg
Egg

Post by mblack76 »

mister dolly wrote:Firstly what's your source? . Secondly if true, my good friends at OSMI might be struggling to break even assuming they paid each team 130,000 per match...I couldn't help but keep my eyes on the attendance figures and it is disheartening as a promoter to see empty seats for a huge event like this.

If I recall they had a similar problem with the Nigeria vs. Brazil match in Abuja.
From The Sun. Link...
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002 ... 08,00.html
“I can play with people’s emotions when I want to make an impact. It’s one way to get the best out of people.” Jose Mourinho (March 08, 2005)
"Again Mblack, I have no beef with you as I actually respect you a lot." SAwosika (May 14, 2005)
Dr. Wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by Dr. Wazobia »

Man, when Nigeria beat the scots in 2002 (i think), one of their players dissed us saying "we should be beating teams like this, you know?". I think it was Dailly, Christian Dailly that is. A lot of these European teams do not rate the african sides, honestly.
Even when cam'roun were easily in the Fifa top 3 (in my opinion), they were not given the respect they deserved and that did not surprise me. Some of these people still think the african ballers are not disciplined and naive. To Kerr, he needs to justify the loss without giving credit to the SE. He said he played youngsters, but did the SE play a full team? He said some of his players were making their debut, but could it just be that the SE outplayed them and would still have outplayed them if they had used their 'full team'?
--- Let brotherly love continue ---
Kenovski
Egg
Egg

Post by Kenovski »

SOUR GRAPES!! They were given a good hiding and they still can't accept it. I hope Jamo beats them too. :twisted:
Everyday you can choose to the happy or sad, good or bad, full of joy or filled with anger. It takes the same amount of effort to acheive either.....

Anonymous
LEFTIE
Egg
Egg

Post by LEFTIE »

Irish Coach Kerr said:

We went from playing in front of 42,000 on a good pitch at Lansdowne Road to playing on an awful surface with just 7,000 watching. There were so many empty seats.

My kweshons to him are; no be both teams play for that pitch and no be both teams play in front of the 7,000? In fact the attendance was actually 7,438 :) :) :) :)
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Dr. Wazobia wrote:Man, when Nigeria beat the scots in 2002 (i think), one of their players dissed us saying "we should be beating teams like this, you know?". I think it was Dailly, Christian Dailly that is. A lot of these European teams do not rate the african sides, honestly.
Even when cam'roun were easily in the Fifa top 3 (in my opinion), they were not given the respect they deserved and that did not surprise me. Some of these people still think the african ballers are not disciplined and naive. To Kerr, he needs to justify the loss without giving credit to the SE. He said he played youngsters, but did the SE play a full team? He said some of his players were making their debut, but could it just be that the SE outplayed them and would still have outplayed them if they had used their 'full team'?
SE outplayed them and beat them at Lowndowne Road.
But hmmm something fishy is going on there is something not mathematically right about the finances.

The pitch was horrible as well. Publicity was suspect.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Dr. Wazobia wrote:Man, when Nigeria beat the scots in 2002 (i think), one of their players dissed us saying "we should be beating teams like this, you know?". I think it was Dailly, Christian Dailly that is. A lot of these European teams do not rate the african sides, honestly.
Need i say more, E pain am no be small :mrgreen:
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

Let me get this straignt, the state of the pitch was detrimental to only Ireland?..our juju must be working overtime or Mr Kerr is in Marijuana Avenue
AreaStarr
Egg
Egg
Location: By the Bar as usual hand full of liquor puffing on a sweet swisher!
Re: Talk about Sour grapes? Read what the Irish Coach has to

Post by AreaStarr »

mkizito76 wrote:
After Saturday’s match, Nigerian boss Christian Chukwu was unable to identify one of his players.

One substitute who was introduced towards the end had not appeared on the team sheet, but Chukwu could not say who he was, although it is believed that the player had arrived after the game had started.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

No mind the guy jare, e think say only field affect him playa. :twisted: .Nonesense and ingredients
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

The pitch was in a bad state. Ogbeche kept falling over for no reason.

I think the organisers could do better with publicising the event. I know a lot of Nigerians were not aware the games were going on.
http://www.naijiant.com/
ivanuche
Egg
Egg

Post by ivanuche »

He said: “We tried to pass the ball around against Nigeria but, because of the state of the pitch, it was to our detriment.
“The way we played wasn’t effective and we are going to have to mix it up a bit more in the second game.”

SOUR GRAPES ! Nigeria has always been a passing team and Ireland aint that.How come it didn't affect us? yeye kerr .
They used to say Muhammad Ali could float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. Arsenal swim with the grace of a dolphin — and bite like a shark. The GREAT Brian Clough. viewtopic.php?t=18273

If you're having girl problems i feel sorry for u son,i gat 99 problems but da *Nice Lady* aint one !

http://www.brazzil.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7162 BLACK BEAUTIES !
http://www.ypforum.org/nigeria2002
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

I would not downplay the effects of bad pitches. Till date, the less than perfect playing surface conditions in Mali 02, caused our team to be labeled tired legs, and disbandment. Only a few of us, acknowledge that factor.

If these guys are used to professional settings, then I can pretty much understand their plight.....if indeed the pitch was in poor condition.
You are Your Own Dog
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

After Saturday?s match, Nigerian boss Christian Chukwu was unable to identify one of his players.

Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

CCC's response to te angel* Kerr:

"The Jamaica game was a far more difficult one for the team than the match on Saturday. "

ehhr...which doddle team did we play on Saturday again?... ah yes yes Ireland. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To stop trying is to start dying
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

You couldn't have said it better
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Akamoke wrote:Let me get this straignt, the state of the pitch was detrimental to only Ireland?..our juju must be working overtime or Mr Kerr is in Marijuana Avenue
ROTFLMAO............................ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

But did we not beat the same Irish team at Landsdown Road prior to the WC? What was theri excuse then? They were put off by the state of our Boys hair cut?
Winstreak_coach
Egg
Egg

Post by Winstreak_coach »

From the mouth of Irish Supporters writer. Mr Kerr, sir please fess up. You lost to a well worthy team named Super Eagles.

http://www.thepeoplesflag.com/web/index.asp

NEWS - 29 May 2004

Ireland 0 Nigeria 3

The score line tells it all. From the first whistle to the final whistle Ireland were played off the park by a strong and fast Nigerian team. Republic boss Brian Kerr has some serious work to do before the game against Jamacia on Wednesday evening.
Things work out best, for those who make the best out of the way things work out!
Walter Cronkite
African Star
Egg
Egg
Re: Talk about Sour grapes? Read what the Irish Coach has to

Post by African Star »

AreaStarr wrote:
mkizito76 wrote:

HEY YOU MAKES HIS SECOND APPEARANCE FOR THE SE :lol: :lol: :lol:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Pitch dey bad... crowd dey small... organization dey poor... i thought I'd heard it all... but this excuse surely ranks up there with "my dog ate my homework"... bottomline: those bobo's no dey take us seriously. For some reason, they think a game against any African opposition will be gravy... when we licked their FULL world cup squad in Dublin, Roy Keane blamed Coach McCarthy and quit right before jap'02!... Was the pitch bad then?... emm, was the stadium not sold out?.... emmm, was the organization of the event sub par?... these irish folks are quickly developing a reputation for not learning how to take their beatings like men... na wao! ... We beat them in Dublin... wahala!... then we tap them in London.... wahala! .... we've beaten those cocksuckers fair and square 2 out of 2 times... they ought to learn when to stop crying and return to the drawing board. 8)