Chukwu warns the big boys

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ola34
Egg
Egg
Chukwu warns the big boys

Post by ola34 »

This is courtesy of the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 767155.stm

Nigeria coach Christian Chukwu has warned players who missed the Unity Cup in London that they would not be guaranteed an automatic recall to the squad.
Captain Jay-Jay Okocha was absent along with Julius Aghahowa, Wilson Oruma and Joseph Yobo and regular goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama.

In their absence, midfielders Christian Obodo, Paul Obiefule and Rabiu Baita put on impressive displays as the Super Eagles won the three-nation Unity Cup.

They beat the Republic of Ireland 3-0 on Saturday and lifted the trophy after a 2-0 win over Jamaica on Monday.

Every player in this group is equal as far as I'm concerned

Strikers John Utaka and Bartholomew Ogbeche looked lively throughout and were both on the score sheet.

Looking forward to the weekend's World Cup qualifier against Rwanda, Chukwu acknowledged that the understudies will be difficult to dislodge even when Nigeria's more established players become available again.

"There are no big-name players and no small-name players in my squad,' Chukwu insisted.

"Every player in this group is equal as far as I'm concerned, and I'm very pleased with how they have done.

"The Jamaica game was a far more difficult one for the team than the match on Saturday.

"I was pleased that they had to come through a game like that, because when we get back to Africa that is the sort of match we will face.
Last edited by ola34 on Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1. Always a fan of good football

2. ".........there really should be some folks that any decent person should not be associated with -- even if desperation makes strange bedfellows." - Gotti
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

I hope he is not just making noise. I would like to see him back up his words with action.

2. ".........there really should be some folks that any decent person should not be associated with -- even if desperation makes strange bedfellows." - Gotti
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

"The Jamaica game was a far more difficult one for the team than the match on Saturday.

CCC's reply to that stupid Brain Kerr of Ireland...Ireland was a doddle :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To stop trying is to start dying
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

Shownoja wrote:

CCC's reply to that stupid Brain Kerr of Ireland...Ireland was a doddle :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yes that was a good one from CCC. I am beginning to like this guy CCC. But time will tell if he has what it takes to stand up to the big boys.

mister dolly
Re: Chukwu warns the big boys

Post by mister dolly »

ola34 wrote:This is courtesy of the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 767155.stm

Nigeria coach Christian Chukwu has warned players who missed the Unity Cup in London that they would not be guaranteed an automatic recall to the squad.
Captain Jay-Jay Okocha was absent along with Julius Aghahowa, Wilson Oruma and Joseph Yobo and regular goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama.

In their absence, midfielders Christian Obodo, Paul Obiefule and Rabiu Baita put on impressive displays as the Super Eagles won the three-nation Unity Cup.

They beat the Republic of Ireland 3-0 on Saturday and lifted the trophy after a 2-0 win over Jamaica on Monday.

Every player in this group is equal as far as I'm concerned

Strikers John Utaka and Bartholomew Ogbeche looked lively throughout and were both on the score sheet.

Looking forward to the weekend's World Cup qualifier against Rwanda, Chukwu acknowledged that the understudies will be difficult to dislodge even when Nigeria's more established players become available again.

"There are no big-name players and no small-name players in my squad,' Chukwu insisted.

"Every player in this group is equal as far as I'm concerned, and I'm very pleased with how they have done.

"I was pleased that they had to come through a game like that, because when we get back to Africa that is the sort of match we will face.
Talk is cheap and we heard the same noise pre ANC 2004...CCC has no guts to bench JJ or even give him a dresing down...so he better not be mouthing off to the BBC..
naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)

Post by naija4ever »

ola34 wrote:I hope he is not just making noise. I would like to see him back up his words with action.
How do u want him to do that? When the case of Yak being disciplined has been quite controversial and generated too much criticisms from all and sundry :roll:
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

Discipline can be maintained, it is how you carry it out that matters. I think the NFA did not handle the ANC situation wisely.

Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

I just hope that CCC meant every word of what he said.
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

Cyber Saint wrote:I just hope that CCC meant every word of what he said.
I hope so too. I think if one has to choose btw Jay Jay and Obodo in the Rwanda game, I would go for Obodo. But they could play together in the same game.

Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

mister dolly wrote: Talk is cheap and we heard the same noise pre ANC 2004...CCC has no guts to bench JJ or even give him a dresing down...so he better not be mouthing off to the BBC..
He did not say anything about benching JJ. He said that no player is guaranteed an automatic recall to the squad which means that everybody will have to fight for a shirt, JJ included. I wait to see what CCC does this saturday but I will be very disappointed should Kanu and Okoronkwo start that game against Rwanda.
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

ola34 wrote: I think the NFA did not handle the ANC situation wisely.
You mean "Ogunjobi"
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

ola34 wrote:
I hope so too. I think if one has to choose btw Jay Jay and Obodo in the Rwanda game, I would go for Obodo. But they could play together in the same game.

That's funny b'cos I was thinking exactly the same thing a few seconds ago. Frankly, if I were CCC, I'll start by not inviting both Kanu and Jay Jay to the Rwanda game. I'll find a way to do with Obodo and Oruma (if he's fit) combo.

Yeah, we still need those guys but nobody ought to hold the country to ransom.

O pari
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

ola34 wrote:
IMO Oga have to start that game against Rwanda. I say this not because I think we can't win without JJ but because JJ is our best dead ball player. He is the best free kick taker, the best throw in taker, the best penalty taker on the team right now. We need to take all our chances in that game. Anything less than a 3-0 victory will be a disappointment for me.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

Robbynice wrote:
mister dolly wrote: Talk is cheap and we heard the same noise pre ANC 2004...CCC has no guts to bench JJ or even give him a dresing down...so he better not be mouthing off to the BBC..
He did not say anything about benching JJ. He said that no player is guaranteed an automatic recall to the squad which means that everybody will have to fight for a shirt, JJ included. I wait to see what CCC does this saturday but I will be very disappointed should Kanu and Okoronkwo start that game against Rwanda.
My friend if JJ shows up for the match against Rwanda, JJ plays..you know it and CCC knows it...that is a cast iron guarantee if you ask me.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Robbynice wrote:
ola34 wrote:
IMO Oga have to start that game against Rwanda. I say this not because I think we can't win without JJ but because JJ is our best dead ball player. He is the best free kick taker, the best throw in taker, the best penalty taker on the team right now. We need to take all our chances in that game. Anything less than a 3-0 victory will be a disappointment for me.

Robby, I agree with you absolutely.
nevertheless, I am really disappointed at his conduct this past weekend. He couldn't even return calls, eh? What manner of skippo is that? Jay Jay just reminded me of the sad Sunny Oliseh captaincy.
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

elerineye wrote:
ola34 wrote: I think the NFA did not handle the ANC situation wisely.
You mean "Ogunjobi"
Thanks for the correction. I wanted to say Ogunjobi. Thanks.

mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

Robbynice wrote:
ola34 wrote:
In other words, what you are saying is that JJ should have a guaranteed spot.
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

If you have followed the SE for some time, as well as Bolton. Jay Jay carries his teams on his shoulders and they only perform according to his level of performance. Whenever Jay Jay does not bring his A Game, the team is usually condemned to defeat.

MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

I expect Kanu and JJ to play against Rwanda... :P There is nothing CCC can do about it. All this talk is the usual CCC 7mins moment on BBC.

I wonder why he would take jabs at Enyeama when he had an important match for Enyimba, JAG already said he should be left alone and others why all the mis yearning about? I guess it's another CCC moment...
Soldier of Fortune...
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

We cannot continue to rely on magical displays of Okocha or Kanu that may not come in crucial games. We need to start playing like a unit, where every player has something to bring to the table. That is the way to go. Okocha could still be part of that, but the coach should feel free to bench him when warranted. It does not mean that he is discarding him, it just means that he understands that it is about team work not magical skills. Even Ronaldinho could not stop Barcelona from falling to Celtic. Individual magic can only carry you so far.

Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Why all the argument? JJ might not even show up in Naija for the game. Did he not give his undertaking that he will be at the unity cup? All of a sudden, he ditched the side. The man now has what he wants most, which is his extended contract at Bolton, so it is again time to use Naija for yanga. I hope he has a video in his house, so he can watch how the Super Eagles of Nigeria played without him.

One video clip is good enough for the wise.
To stop trying is to start dying
GDAY
Egg
Egg

Post by GDAY »

Crap!!! Utter Crap!!!! Utter BS!!!!...anyone that sees CCC should tell him to "Put up or Shut up" :x :x
”The strength of the Team is each individual member. The Strength of each member is the Team.”
Phil Jackson..
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

If he's 'talking the talk', he'd better be prepared to 'walk the walk'. Simple.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”