I will phase out old Eagles players –Chukwu

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)
I will phase out old Eagles players –Chukwu

Post by naija4ever »

The chief coach of Super Eagles, Christian Chukwu has reaffirmed his intention to replace ageing players in the senior national team in his quest to raise a crack side for the Germany 2006 World Cup.

Fielding questions from sports writers recently, Chukwu said that he was impressed by the performance of the new players who he said have become part of the team’s preparation for the 2006 World Cup and Nations Cup qualifier matches pointing out that their entrance fit into his plans of phasing out the old players.

“I am very much impressed with them and they have become part of the Super Eagles for the World Cup. This is exactly part of the arrangements we are putting in place. We want to phase out the older ones gradually. Lawal was the only old player that featured in the Unity Cup but it does not mean that others are going. But we want to phase them out because having tried for this country we can’t continue to overstretch them,” he said.

Asked if he is distracted about the talk on the renewal of his contract, the former Green Eagles skipper said: “I am not distracted at all. I have enjoyed 100 per cent support of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA). Perhaps that is why I am not working under pressure. I will continue doing my work till my contract expires. Then if it is not renewed, I will think of the line of action to take.”

Speaking on the expectation of fielding the more aggressive attackers like Obafemi and Ogbeche instead of the more experienced Okocha and Kanu, Chukwu said: “We have not selected the team yet but my assurance is that on Saturday Nigerians would see a much improved attack.”

While showering encomium on the young Eagles players, the former coach of Rangers International FC of Enugu, said that though he could not single out any player he can describe as being very impressive, he maintained that all of them performed above expectation

http://www.newage-online.com/sports/article05

CCC abeg take it easy with this ur operation sweep the SE clean, cos some of these old players are still needed, dont be power drunk like OBJ :roll: :wink:
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
Gboye77
Egg
Egg

Post by Gboye77 »

You took the words right out of my mouth. CCC needs to use the embarassment of riches at his disposal wisely and not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Bell

Post by Bell »

OLD PLAYERS NORMALLY FADE, SO...

...C3 doesn't need to make this the subject of a special announcement. Having said that the headline doesn't accurately reflect C3's motivation. It's not anger at the players but a concern that for their well-being. In his words, they should not be "overstretched".
Bell
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

HEARD IT BEFORE!
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Bell wrote:OLD PLAYERS NORMALLY FADE, SO...

...C3 doesn't need to make this the subject of a special announcement. Having said that the headline doesn't accurately reflect C3's motivation. It's not anger at the players but a concern that for their well-being. In his words, they should not be "overstretched".
BELL:
It is a NewAge article, so best ignore it.

What exactly is "fielding questions from sports writers recently"? What sports writers? Where? When? Under what context? I realize that Nigerian journalism (like most other things Nigerian) has fallen on lean times, but it cannot possibly be this bad! :shock:
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

Kanu first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: I will phase out old Eagles players –Chukwu

Post by juventuss »

naija4ever wrote:The chief coach of Super Eagles, Christian Chukwu has reaffirmed his intention to replace ageing players in the senior national team in his quest to raise a crack side for the Germany 2006 World Cup.

Fielding questions from sports writers recently, Chukwu said that he was impressed by the performance of the new players who he said have become part of the team’s preparation for the 2006 World Cup and Nations Cup qualifier matches pointing out that their entrance fit into his plans of phasing out the old players.

“I am very much impressed with them and they have become part of the Super Eagles for the World Cup. This is exactly part of the arrangements we are putting in place. We want to phase out the older ones gradually. Lawal was the only old player that featured in the Unity Cup but it does not mean that others are going. But we want to phase them out because having tried for this country we can’t continue to overstretch them,” he said.

Asked if he is distracted about the talk on the renewal of his contract, the former Green Eagles skipper said: “I am not distracted at all. I have enjoyed 100 per cent support of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA). Perhaps that is why I am not working under pressure. I will continue doing my work till my contract expires. Then if it is not renewed, I will think of the line of action to take.”

Speaking on the expectation of fielding the more aggressive attackers like Obafemi and Ogbeche instead of the more experienced Okocha and Kanu, Chukwu said: “We have not selected the team yet but my assurance is that on Saturday Nigerians would see a much improved attack.”

While showering encomium on the young Eagles players, the former coach of Rangers International FC of Enugu, said that though he could not single out any player he can describe as being very impressive, he maintained that all of them performed above expectation

http://www.newage-online.com/sports/article05

CCC abeg take it easy with this ur operation sweep the SE clean, cos some of these old players are still needed, dont be power drunk like OBJ :roll: :wink:

:roll:
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Abubakar
Egg
Egg

Post by Abubakar »

Goatee,
There is nothing in this article to suggest that these comments were not made by Chukwu. How can you sit down there in your tight London domitory and make such conclusions about Nigerian journalists?

You always try to sound like you are the most authentic human beign alive. These newage people also have families to feed. Stop trying to moralize on them.

Buran Uba!

Gotti wrote:

BELL:

What exactly is "fielding questions from sports writers recently"? What sports writers? Where? When? Under what context? I realize that Nigerian journalism (like most other things Nigerian) has fallen on lean times, but it cannot possibly be this bad! :shock:
In the Abundance of Water, the Fool is Thirsty!
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Gotti wrote:

BELL:

My broda, it is that bad o! Whilst you are away, we were regaled by Newage with tales of how they learnt from a certain foreign sports radio that Martins vows not to play for SE. In another piece they quoted BBC and the latter have to come out with a news report on Martins saying the opposite. It got so bad I had to write personally to Sully Abu, Newage's editor. I don't know what is going on with their organization but it appears they have sold their sports desk to the devil, and Satan is determined to smear the place with every rot in hell...no thanks to Ade Ojeikere
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

When things are going well, young heads are good, but when the going gets tough, nthing beats experience. We need both IMO.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

furiously frank wrote:
My broda, it is that bad o! Whilst you are away, we were regaled by Newage with tales of how they learnt from a certain foreign sports radio that Martins vows not to play for SE. In another piece they quoted BBC and the latter have to come out with a news report on Martins saying the opposite. It got so bad I had to write personally to Sully Abu, Newage's editor. I don't know what is going on with their organization but it appears they have sold their sports desk to the devil, and Satan is determined to smear the place with every rot in hell...no thanks to Ade Ojeikere
FRANK:
It is such a darn shame, because I used to be quite a huge fan of Nigerian journalism -- and I actually still admire quite a broad section thereof.