Oruma cries Foul

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

DIMKA76
Egg
Egg
Oruma cries Foul

Post by DIMKA76 »

Oruma cries foul

By Osasu Obayiuwana
BBC Sport

Oruma says he will focus on his club career

Midfielder Wilson Oruma has declared that his exclusion from the list of players competing for a place in Nigeria's 2004 Nations Cup squad is unjustified.

Oruma, who plays for French first division side Sochaux, insists that his form over the last two seasons has earned him the right to fight for a shirt.

"I'm not being fairly treated by my country," Oruma told the BBC Sport website in an exclusive interview before Sochaux's league tie against Nice on Saturday.

"Based on my form with my club, I think that I merit a chance to compete with my other colleagues for a place on the Nations Cup team.

I'm not being fairly treated by my country

Wilson Oruma

"But it appears that playing good football for your club on a regular basis is not enough to earn a call-up to the national team."

Oruma, who made the 2002 Nations Cup team at a late stage but failed to get a spot on the 2002 World Cup team, said that the coaches' decision not to invite him has left him embittered.

"It is very painful when you deserve something and it is not being given to you.

"People have asked me why I was not invited and I do not know what to say.

"I was dropped from the World Cup team [without good reason] at the very last minute and I took it in good faith.

"But everyone back home watches European football games on the television and can fairly assess whether I am good enough for the national team.

"It appears that an invitation depends on whom you know but I will not bow down to any man," Oruma said.

Oruma, who captained Nigeria to the Fifa under-17 World Championship in 1993, said he is interested to know the reasons for his exclusion from manager Christian Chukwu.

"If I have the chance to speak to him, I would want to know what he has against me and why I have been denied a chance to fight for a shirt?

"I've never had any problems with him or refused an invitation to play for him," Oruma claimed.

The midfielder said that he has been left with no choice but to concentrate on his career with Sochaux but hopes that the Super Eagles perform well in Tunisia.

"I will do my very best for my club but I hope that Nigeria do well in Tunisia. I will be there in spirit supporting them."
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

Oruma might very well be a good player, but I will always remember him as the dude that initiated, overhaul of Naija soccer in 2002.

I remain quite indifferent, per his inclusion/exclusion.
You are Your Own Dog
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

my Benin boy no worry, but nah ur fault, cos peeps dey fear to inlcude u into the team cos u be disaster waiting to happen, wilson ur forget the penarity and the pass wey u give morrison / reid to score against SE all in one year
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

he's a moron. He has forgotten that he was solely responsible for kicking us out of the ANC the last time. We don't want him on the team. Simple.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Oruma should have been on the team. Full stop. When you invite players who have not played for the whole year or are playing in second-tier leagues like Kalu, Lawal, Babngida etc. then you cannot justify Oruma's exclusion in any possible manner.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Muzines:
Perhaps Garba Lawal should take the lion's share of the blame here.

he's a moron. He has forgotten that he was solely responsible for kicking us out of the ANC the last time. We don't want him on the team. Simple.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Oga & Kanu are still playing at a high level ... then you have the issue of C3 wanting to introduce fresh midfielders that can help defensively, namely Obodo, Olofi, & Ekwueme.. also he is not a striker so he does not benefit from Martins shunning the invitation... i think that explains why he wasn't invited. Simply put, he appears to be a victim of surplus to requirements.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

He didn't "drop" so wasn't invited :shock:.

Seriously though, Oruma's exclusion from major tournaments is a source of concern. He captained the SE in a friendly match against the Kenyan's in Lagos prior to the WC, I thought he had a earned a spot in the team, especially with his spectacular performance. I do hope he gets the chance for a shirt in the next WC/ANC qualifiers.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Its a Goal wrote:He didn't "drop" so wasn't invited :shock:.

Seriously though, Oruma's exclusion from major tournaments is a source of concern. He captained the SE in a friendly match against the Kenyan's in Lagos prior to the WC, I thought he had a earned a spot in the team, especially with his spectacular performance. I do hope he gets the chance for a shirt in the next WC/ANC qualifiers.
IAG, he played well against the pathetic kenyan's but against the Irish, he played like he had $@#% in his pants... As for the maliANC, i won't blame him for missing the PK... actually, i thought he played well in that game... I think he's coming up short because of the younger players that are geting an opportunity to make the team (obodo, olofi, ekwueme, Kalu, & Osaze) ... I wish him the best of luck, but I don't think we'll be missing him.
Tolu

Post by Tolu »

Oruma has good sense of maturity, can anyone compare his comment with that of Chukwu Ndukwe?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I do not think the decision to drop Oruma was the coach's. You guys have to remember that Chukwu, loike Onigbinde are only "instrumental" in drawing up the list. Amodu was one coach who refused to do what he was told and we all saw how it got him the sack.

I can tell you all now that Kadiri Ikhana will never get appointed as Nigeria's head coach, even if he coaches Juventus to the European Champions League trophy. Our NFA does not like coaches who do not do what they are told.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Oruma should go and "drop" and stop conplaining.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

YUJAM wrote:Muzines:
Perhaps Garba Lawal should take the lion's share of the blame here.

Why? Because he was responsible for Senegal's second goal? Ol'boy please give me a break. Bottom line is we had an opportunity to tie the game with a penalty and Oruma blew it. With that said I don't blame the guy afterall he was one of the very selected few that had the courage to step up to the spot and take the kick.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

G4L and Muzines, you guys have made most of my points.
The only thing I need to add is that it's interesting that Oruma never begs to be included in the team during the gualifying series. But once the team makes it, all the paid Oruma lobbyists would start to yarn dust.
The current SE squad will NOT miss Oruma......short and simple.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Finally some wepting albeit away from faro camp; Oruma deserves the opportunity to be in camp to proove his mettle. At least that !
...but with God all things are possible...
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Cybersaint - Well said. If there is one position where we seem to have over supply, it is in that creative midfield role, and I beg to disagree with those who say that on current form he should be in the camp.

If you consider his position, please tell me who in camp at the moment should be dropped to accommodate him. Is it Oga? or Osaze who is the heir apparent. Please, I think he has been unfortunate, but that does not mean didly squat right now. What our team needs the most now is focus, not bickering though I must give the brother credit for wishing the SE well.
To stop trying is to start dying
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Muzines,Green4life & Cybersaint u guys are so wrong.If u guys say it was Oruma's fault we lost to Senegal then why is Kanu still on our team?Can U guys recall eh was the guy that lost the 1st PK against Cameroon in 2000?
That is no excuse to judge any player!Look i can dwell on the past,and if i start pointing fingers then many players shouldt make theteam.Wilson Oruma's exclusion is crazy!Out of all the so called over hyped Mid-Fielders in our team,he is the only Nigerian that has been a regular for Sochaux and has been doing excellently well for his club.Look at the list of players in camp now,4 players havernt been playing football for sometime now and u guys are talking.Its mighty shame because in Mali'02 guys were scared to take the PK and Oruma took it and lost it.I guess Baggio shouldnt have played for Italy after USA'94 then.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

Well said Omey2k
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Robby, Muzines, Cybersaint:

I am disappointed in you guys. I cant believe you are blaming Oruma for that missed PK, haba! And I thought you guys understood the game! Now let's see...
Kanu - missed a CRUICIAL one against cameroun
Okocho - missed one against Brazil
Finidi - missed an important one against Ghana during the same ANC.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Left to Chukwu, Oruma would be in the squad.
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Ogwu-na-dozen, Omey2k, geminikoat, Rogermilla etc.
My argument isn't that Oruma doesn't deserve to be in the team. It isn't even about the penalty he lost either.
My argument is much simpler: Oruma's inclusion isn't sacrosanct. Oruman isn't gonna be the reason why we win or lose the ANC. First of all, he isn't gonna start. Secondly, we've got over 4 or 5 players in the team who could give us, practically, what Oruma is gonna give us.
And most importantly, did you guys remember when Westerhoff insisted that he doesn't wanna invite Chidi Nwanu to the team b'cos he's got Keshi. He said the same thing about Richard Owubokiri b'cos he's got Yekini.

C'mon guys!!!
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

wepting again?
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

omey2k4 wrote:Muzines,Green4life & Cybersaint u guys are so wrong.If u guys say it was Oruma's fault we lost to Senegal then why is Kanu still on our team?Can U guys recall eh was the guy that lost the 1st PK against Cameroon in 2000?
That is no excuse to judge any player!Look i can dwell on the past,and if i start pointing fingers then many players shouldt make theteam.Wilson Oruma's exclusion is crazy!Out of all the so called over hyped Mid-Fielders in our team,he is the only Nigerian that has been a regular for Sochaux and has been doing excellently well for his club.Look at the list of players in camp now,4 players havernt been playing football for sometime now and u guys are talking.Its mighty shame because in Mali'02 guys were scared to take the PK and Oruma took it and lost it.I guess Baggio shouldnt have played for Italy after USA'94 then.
Well said Omey2k.

In any case, although not advocating a plce in the final 22, it is inconceivable that Oruma was not included in the 41 person list.