Oneness is key to beating Rwanda — Utaka

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg

Post by Bobo Dan »

Vanguard Sports

By John Egbokhan
Wednesday, June 02, 2004

As Nigeria play against Rwanda this weekend in a Germany 2006 World Cup qualifier, John Utaka is confident that Super Eagles will pick the maximum points at stake.

Utaka, while speaking yesterday to Sports Vanguard over the telephone from England, venue of the Unity Cup which ends today, called for oneness of purpose from his team-mates as they seek for their fourth back-to-back World Cup appearance.
“What we need to do to win against Rwanda is to play with oneness of purpose, one spirit and one mind and just do our best to ensure a Nigerian victory. I am optimistic that we are going to beat our opponents because the spirit in the team is so high.

“I am particularly happy with the way we are taking this duty now and just wish that we all will keep the spirit which we have now”, added the Lens’ attacker, who said irrespective of which players play against Rwanda that the objective of winning will be achieved.

“It does not matter who plays. What counts is getting victory and I want to believe that we can make that happen. It is our wish to win and we are working hard to make that happen on Saturday”, said Utaka, who scored the opener in Monday’s tie with the Reggae Boys of Jamaica.

Utaka’s form in the Eagles’ team has never faltered, neither has it been suspect because he has consistently proved his inclusion in the squad by playing to the peak of his performance. His decision to honour the Unity Cup tournament at a time when others opted out for unclear reasons was another proof of his patriotism.

He was commended for his show of patriotism and he told Sports Vanguard that he won’t stop as long as the country needs him for continental and world matches.
“I love my country and just want to give my best whenever I am called to play for the Super Eagles”, said Utaka.