Rivaldo opts for Qatar instead...according to the Qataris

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rivaldo opts for Qatar instead...according to the Qataris

Post by AreaDaddy »

Rivaldo 'agrees Qatar deal'

The Qatar Football Association claims it has beaten Bolton and Celtic to the signature of Rivaldo.

Qatar FA technical director Manfred Honer said: "Rivaldo has signed for us. He has been here for three days and is finding a place to live.

"The move was all about money. It is what motivates the player.

"I can't reveal figures, but if you're telling me Celtic and Bolton were willing to offer him £30,000 a week I can only say we're paying much more."

Rivaldo held talks with the Qatar FA on Monday, but it had been thought unlikely that he would sign a deal with them.

The Brazilian had been told a move over there would end his international career.

Rivaldo had rejected the chance to join Celtic on trial, while Bolton were waiting for his response to a written contract offer and were favourites to sign him.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Wednesday, June 2, 2004

Rivaldo 'has signed to play in Qatar'

The Qatar Football Association insist they have beaten Bolton and Celtic to the signature of Rivaldo.

Rivaldo: Middle East move (StuartFranklin/GettyImages)

They claim the Brazilian international, who was a target for both British clubs, has signed up to join Ronald de Boer in the Middle East next season, while Frank de Boer is also considering a move to join his brother.

Qatar FA technical director, Manfred Honer, maintains the deal to take Rivaldo to their country is already sealed.

He said: 'Rivaldo has signed for us. He has been here for three days looking around and finding a place to live.'

Honer added: 'I never had any doubt in the negotiations that the move was all about money - it is what motivates the player.

'I can't reveal figures, but if you are telling me Celtic and Bolton were willing to offer him £30,000 a week, I can only smile and say we are paying him much, much more.'

• Your views on this story? Email [email protected]