Football and steroids!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Football and steroids!

Post by YUJAM »

I have a serious issue to raise.

Yesterday during my workout at the gym, I struck up a conversation with this Cuban fellow who is simply massive. The first time I met dude I figured he was Nigerian but he has since told me that his folks are from Yoruba Land many years ago and that he wants to visit Nigeria.

Over the past few weeks, we've started to spar a bit. Since we are the only two brothers that go there regularly, we've established a bond at the gym.

Anyway, one thing leads to another and we start talking about steroids. Stupid me, I never figured that the fella could also be on Roids given his size. Long story short, he looked me straight in the eye and told me that he takes the anabolic steroids (same one Ben Johnson took) to hit the 18.5 inch bicep measurement,

Our talk continued and went to deal with steroids in pro sports. Dude claimed that almost every single NFL player is or has been on something. Our concensus is that the human body can only develop naturally to a certain level and that growth hormones are required if you really need to get ripped and strong.

It got me thinking about some of the footballers who leave Africa and go to Europe where players like Zidane, Davids, Stam and others have been caught or investigated b4. Do these players take steroids? Look at Stephen Appiah and Obafemi Martins for example. Their leg muscles are outta this world.

I aint trying to insinuate anything but I guess to me, this is food for thought!
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

Yujam, When i was schooling in Naija, I saw thighs bigger than Martins or Appiah's. Don't tell me they were on steroids.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

It aint about big though. Look at how muscular their thighs are. Appiah in particular was never muscular but all of a sudden.......................

But in regard to the bigger picture, do you believe that performance enahancers aint rampant in the Euro game?

PaJimoh wrote:Yujam, When i was schooling in Naija, I saw thighs bigger than Martins or Appiah's. Don't tell me they were on steroids.
Last edited by YUJAM on Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abubakar
Egg
Egg
This is not Football related

Post by Abubakar »

YAMJAM,
This piece is entirely non-football related.
Why must we read about your daydreams of your "sparring" with a massive, Nigerian-looking cuban male.

What the hell is all this?
Are you okay?

Buran Uba!
In the Abundance of Water, the Fool is Thirsty!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: This is not Football related

Post by YUJAM »

Shattap, Abu Bakary! :lol:

Are you still upset that i rubbished your Onopko post?
Abubakar wrote:YAMJAM,
Why must we read about your daydreams of your "sparring" with a massive, Nigerian-looking cuban male.

Are you okay?

Buran Uba!
Abubakar
Egg
Egg
Re: This is not Football related

Post by Abubakar »

Yujam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D

Buran Uba!

YUJAM wrote:Shattap, Abu Bakary! :lol:

Are you still upset that i rubbished your Onopko post?
Abubakar wrote:YAMJAM,

Are you okay?

Buran Uba!
In the Abundance of Water, the Fool is Thirsty!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Creeeeeeeeeeeaaaak. (Sound of the closet door opening) :D :D :D
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Yujam: Most footballers use performance enhancing pharmacueticals but very few actually use illegal drugs.

In Italy, they have the most advanced medical doctors and sports physicians in the world. Juventus and Inter have groups of sports doctors, etc. monitoring the players everyday, giving them the right sort of legal drugs necessary to rebuild their muscles quickly, to diminish the effects of fatigue after games etc.

This allows the player to develop the optimum muscular weight depending on his natural bodyweight, height, position in the pitch etc. None of these players have the obviously steroid-induced 18.5 bicep your friend has.

In fact, it has been medically proven, that steroids help only to a certain extent. Your friend's bicep is probably as strong as someone with a much smaller bicep, since most anabolic steroids (taken for a certain amount of time) merely inflate the muscle due to water retention in the muscle tissues after the initial "explosion" of strength.

Players use a number of substances including direct "food supplement" vials injected in the bloodstream, creatine, etc.

Mind you, I'm not naive enough to say that football is drugfree. I'm merely saying that a lot can be achieved legally.
My only beef is on the long term effects of prolonged use of creatine, vials, muscular potentiation etc... that might possibly cause harm to the athlete in his older years. The terrible Gehrig disease which has a high incidence amongst retired football players (no correlation has as yet been proved but it looks highly suspicious) destroying their nervous system until they are vegetable-like, could possibly be related to such activity (although it could especially afflict those players who actually induced in illegal drug-taking during their sporting lifetime.

Post by Guest »

Yujam, shebi you dey go gym? You can get Oba's thigh size if you work that part of your body for say 5 months straight without any steriods but you can use protein supplement like muscle mass etc which is available in any gym