An Alternate View: Nigeria vs Ireland!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
An Alternate View: Nigeria vs Ireland!

Post by YUJAM »

Fellas:
For some reason, I just couldn't reconcile with the flowery descriptions others have provided us with. Given 76 mins have gone by so far (watching the match on streaming video), but I don't think I'll see much more at this point.

This team is not better collectively than the team which played at the ANC. The team which beat Cameroon had a better understanding of each other.

Plusses on this team:
1. Obafemi Martins. The boy is quality. A stronger and more mobile version of JAG.
2. Better defensive alignment in the midfield with Obodo and Seyi. They did not give the Irish any space to come down the middle. Seyi was massive in this one.
3. Speed, speed, and more speed. Youngsters such as Bart, Obafemi, Seyi, Enakhire, Utaka and Obodo gave the team this extra edge.
4. Solid defensive partnership between Enakhire and the other Seyi.
5. Rotimi looks promising in goal. He looks quite young too.

Negatives:
1. Too many long balls forward, especially from the wing backs.
2. A bit of showboating by some. Obodo was not the only one.
3. Because of 1 and the short time they all trained together, I don't believe the collective game was as good as it could have been. Everyone was guilty of some stray passes.

Player Ratings:
Rotimi Sunday - 8/10 - A very good performance in my eyes. He made some good saves and most importantly, was very steady. Youth and time are on his side.

Garba Lawal - 6/10 - The guy was exposed at left back several time. His passes were akward and inaccurate. He put himself about well tho and as usual, tried his best.

Olajengbesi - 7.5/10 - A very good performance. He appeared to make all the right moves. I like his potential

Enakhire - 7.5/10 - Same as above. Masterful game in the middle.

Abbey - 6.5/10 - Did well but I dont like his propensity for the long ball. IMO, he still looks slightly uncomfortable when harassed.

Utaka - 8/10 - What speed! What strength! Arab John is the man. Nuff said.

Obodo - 7/10 - He played well and stuck to his position. I'd like to see him stick to distributing a bit more, alongside Seyi ie. He distributed well but there were a few occassions when he could have released the ball but did not. He helped Seyi defensively too.

Seyi - 7.5/10 - Collossal in the middle. His passes are so so at times but the energy and presence he brings to the field are crucial to the Eagles chances. He was very well-positioned defensively.

Ekwueme - 6.5/10 - Contrary to what many think, this fellow is OK. He passes OK, runs well and defends where necessary. Like it or not, I see him as mainstay in the side for years.

Martins - 8/10 - What more can we say about him? A stronger, more mobile and deadlier version of JAG.

Ogbeche - 8.5/10 - Man of the match in my eyes. Man, the speed and the power. This guy must be a conteneder for a starting position with the side. I really like his speed and power!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

YUJAM

You are already singing a different tune, less than 24 hours later....
If you were a woman, what a ho you would be....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Man, respect the daughters. Aiight! :lol:

I still maintain the same position; ie that CCC deserves all the credit in the world for the job he's done. also, that this is a great start and this team has immense potential.

however, this is the first time i've watched the game so i don't know what comments you are talking bout!
txj wrote:YUJAM

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

YUJAM
Just goes to confirm what I always suspected: that epectations are so low folks would grasp at anything positive...

YUJAM wrote:Man, respect the daughters. Aiight! :lol:

I still maintain the same position; ie that CCC deserves all the credit in the world for the job he's done. also, that this is a great start and this team has immense potential.

however, this is the first time i've watched the game so i don't know what comments you are talking bout!

juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: An Alternate View: Nigeria vs Ireland!

Post by juventuss »

YUJAM wrote: Ogbeche - 8.5/10 - Man of the match in my eyes. Man, the speed and the power. This guy must be a conteneder for a starting position with the side. I really like his speed and power!
I fully agree. The guy never let up. He was going full speed the whole match.

Same goes for Martins. Utaka was just class and easily walked past his marker.

Obodo, well he had moments of briliance and definitely held his own.
Seyi played an AWESOME role. He always seemed to disrupt the irish flow.

I also noticed that we kept using the long ball ALOT. whenever we were in a tight situation, our speed was neutralized and you could notice the lack of adequate understanding between the players. But it will only get better.

The guy on the left wing held his own and played a simple game.

IMHO, all we need are udeze, yobo, and Okocha....

****************Enyeama**************

***Abbey******Yobo*********Enakhire*****Udeze

************Obodo**********Olofinjana******

*******Utaka*******Okocha****Ogbeche********

******************Martins****************
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Oh cmon. Stop being a Killjoy! It is OK to rejoice at times. Good times for the Eagles is good for this forum.

The team is good and they will surely get better!
Just goes to confirm what I always suspected: that epectations are so low folks would grasp at anything positive...

YUJAM wrote:Man, respect the daughters. Aiight! :lol:

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

YUJAM
Don't get me wrong, I am happy Martins has made a quick and smooth transition into the team; and it appears Olajengbesi is making progress at Frieburg. Hopefully a strong roght-back will emerge or Abbey gets into serious club football...yes, there are positives to take away..
I am just not taken on the excessive euphoria. You do not establish your true abilities with the likes of Eire.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Well, I think Eire is a good team. The main reason Nigeria got over here was due to the speed of the boys! Man, you should've seen the way Ogbeche and Martins worked the middle.

Also if I were CCC, I'd bring Obodo was back and channel most of the passes out thru him and not Seyi. I just think that when the going gets tough, the outlet passes from Seyi will be non-existent. I just hope CCC does not repeat the same mistake that he made with Tunisia. +
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Again don't get me wrong! Eire is not a bad team. But a Nigerian team would surely have been better tested against say, Italy.
You need such high quality opponents to establish your true strength, but in truth, this is not the time for such games. For me the true value of beating Ireland is in its effect on morale.

YUJAM wrote:Well, I think Eire is a good team. The main reason Nigeria got over here was due to the speed of the boys! Man, you should've seen the way Ogbeche and Martins worked the middle.

Also if I were CCC, I'd bring Obodo was back and channel most of the passes out thru him and not Seyi. I just think that when the going gets tough, the outlet passes from Seyi will be non-existent. I just hope CCC does not repeat the same mistake that he made with Tunisia. +