Ranieri set for Valencia return

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

WINNERMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet
Ranieri set for Valencia return

Post by WINNERMAN »

Former Chelsea coach Claudio Ranieri is poised to return to Valencia after agreeing personal terms with the Spanish champions.

Ranieri: Former Mestalla boss (NigelFrench/Empics)

Ranieri's departure from Stamford Bridge was confirmed on Monday, freeing the west London club to complete a deal to hire Portuguese coach Jose Mourinho.

Despite having held talks with Tottenham yesterday, the Italian looks likely to succeed Rafa Benitez, who yesterday quit the Mestalla after leading the club to a league and UEFA Cup double.

Valencia director general Manuel Llorente told Spanish state television: 'We have reached an agreement with him (Ranieri) but it is dependent on him finishing his relationship with Chelsea.'

Chelsea are still conducting negotiations over the settlement of the remainder of their former manager's contract, which ran until 2007.

Under the terms, the 52-year-old was set to receive a pay-off in excess of £6million.

Ranieri guided Valencia to Copa del Rey success in 1999 and would be a popular selection to succeed Rafael Benitez, who is believed to be on his way to Liverpool as Houllier's replacement.

'I like English football, I like Spanish football, I like Italian football. Now I would like to take a break,' reflected Ranieri in an interview with the BBC.

'There is an opportunity with Valencia, but I want to wait and look at what happens with Chelsea to honour my contract.

He added: 'I am very pleased with them [Spurs] and had a meeting yesterday.

'They have a very good project, but Valencia are my former team and if it is possible, I would come back in Spain.'

Valencia winger Vicente, who is preparing for Euro 2004 with the Spanish squad, said that Ranieri would make the ideal replacement for Benitez.

'He has been coaching big teams for some time now and he knows how Valencia works,' Vicente told a news conference at Spain's training base in Las Rozas.

'He knows how to run the team and I don't think he would have any problems. We will just have to support the new coach in every way we can.'
As for me and my house we will serve the LORD.-----JOSHUA 24 VS 15.

Life in Christ is not a change,it is an exchange. Your ashes for his beauty,your weakness for his strenght ,your destiny assured and a bonus of a victorious life on earth. lt is an irrestitible exchange.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

musical chairs that see Porto without a coach, maybe they can appoint Houllier