Guinea return home

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg
Guinea return home

Post by Bobo Dan »

BBC Sports

Guinea return home

Guinean players and officials packed their bags and left for home Wednesday night following Fifa's decision to ban Kenya from international football.
Fifa slapped an indefinite suspension on Kenya on Wednesday because of alleged government interference in the affairs of the Kenya Football Federation.

The two sides were due to meet in Nairobi on Saturday in the first match of the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Guinea team officials sympathised with Kenya having suffered an identical punishment themselves for two years in 2000.

"It is very painful for the country to be sidelined from international football. It will take a long process to reconstruct the game afresh," an unnamed Guinean official said.

"The players get disorientated and getting them to regroup is not easy."

He said Guinea was lucky to get back into the fold and qualify for the 2004 African Nations Cup finals in Tunisia because most of their players stayed in competitive form by playing in professional football in European clubs.

The official said they were disappointed not to play Kenya.

"It would have been a good warm-up for us before we host Tunisia in Conakry on June 20," he added.
Bobo Dan
Egg
Egg

Post by Bobo Dan »

How sad for African football :(
If I can't express my opinion, I have no reason to be part of this union."
Co Adriaanse - AZ Coach

We’re not rated on the Continent,” said Toshack. “British managers are not, coaches are not, players are not. It’s all 4-4-2, hit the front man, get on the second ball. It hasn’t changed. It frustrates me at times, it really does.”
- John Toshack (British Wales Coach viewtopic.php?t=111511 ).