Cameroon suffering team selection chaos

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ohaneze
Egg
Egg
Cameroon suffering team selection chaos

Post by Ohaneze »

This is good news! We are not the only ones with team selection problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 385833.stm
Cameroon legend Roger Milla has revealed that the country's president has instructed him to look into the reasons behind striker Patrick Mboma's exclusion from the 2004 Nations Cup squad.

Milla, who is Cameroon's football ambassador and works at the presidency, told listeners about Biya's query during a radio phone-in programme which took place in Yaoundé.

"The president asked me to gather more information on the Mboma situation," Milla said.

"I have informed the minister of youth and sports [Bidoung Mpkatt], manager Winfried Schafer and other team staff about this matter."

Milla's disclosure pleased several fans who had joined the debate to urge Schafer to recall Mboma to the Indomitable Lions.

It is not the first time that Cameroon's president has directly intervened in national team selection matters.

Following public pressure, Biya put Milla into the 1990 World Cup team and subsequently ordered the inclusion of Milla, Paul Louis Mfede and Victor Ndip Akem in the 1994 squad.

Mboma had refused to play for Cameroon at last year's Confederations Cup, accusing Schafer of being unable to make independent decisions regarding team selection matters.

Cameroonians regard Mboma's inclusion as vital to their Nations Cup ambitions

But the rift between the two looked to have been settled when he played for the Lions in the Foe charity match on 11 November, as well as the subsequent friendly against Japan.

The decision to exclude Mboma from the Nations Cup team has been a source of great worry to fans in Cameroon, who feel it would be unwise to solely depend on the goalscoring form of Samuel Eto'o.

"Mboma is the only player for now who is sure to score goals, so he has a place in the team," one fan said.

Several Cameroonians believe the former African Footballer of the Year was dropped because some officials, including the sport minister, believe he is indisciplined.

Mboma has been in the country since 2 January but has kept a low profile, refusing requests from the media for interviews on the controversy.

In a separate development, defender Pierre Wome - also dropped from the Nations Cup squad - disclosed in a newspaper interview that Schafer told him the minister had ordered his exclusion from the Tunisia squad.

Schafer reportedly advised Wome to meet Mkpatt to discuss the matter.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Why should we happy for that?At the end of the day Cameroon has had 2 straight ANC trophies.We should get our acts together rather than rejoice that another team faces ourown kind of problem.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

With or without Mboma, Cameroun is still the team to beat in this ANC.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Ohaneze
Egg
Egg

Post by Ohaneze »

Some on this forum act like Nigeria is alone in the world with our issues. This shows that we are not alone and that all hope is not lost. Despite our problems, we can still win. Cameroon has the same issues and wins, so why can't we?
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Good! The juju is working. They sold me good stuff :D

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Buea
Egg
Egg

Post by Buea »

omey2k4 wrote:Why should we happy for that?At the end of the day Cameroon has had 2 straight ANC trophies.We should get our acts together rather than rejoice that another team faces ourown kind of problem.
OMEY2K4,
You couldn't have said it beter. Tell me when Cameroon has never had incidence of this nature before a tornament. It will all be settled and Cameroon as usual will wear its game face and dare anyone to challenge them. Eagles you know better!!
Our goal is to remain superior to the eagles!
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Buea wrote:
omey2k4 wrote:Why should we happy for that?At the end of the day Cameroon has had 2 straight ANC trophies.We should get our acts together rather than rejoice that another team faces ourown kind of problem.
OMEY2K4,
You couldn't have said it beter. Tell me when Cameroon has never had incidence of this nature before a tornament. It will all be settled and Cameroon as usual will wear its game face and dare anyone to challenge them. Eagles you know better!!
Mumu i no ask u to support,ewu! :evil:
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

omey2k4 wrote:
Buea wrote:
OMEY2K4,
Mumu i no ask u to support,ewu! :evil:
Omey2k4,

To be honest you are right
why should we happy for that
eh!
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

Small minds rejoice over others set backs...
When CMR silenced us in the Lagos heat (and at home) we had our best on the team, West, Kanu, Finidi, Baba, JJ.
If we have to take the crown then we should be ready to beat a settled CMR team.
I hope they rise above the selection crisis and come to the games with an indomitable team spirit.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Every country with lots of talent to choose from are bound to go through this,one way or another.
who no know go know.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

What amaze me about this article is the part where Wome said the coach told him his exclusion was an order from the minister :shock:
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Talk IT wrote:What amaze me about this article is the part where Wome said the coach told him his exclusion was an order from the minister :shock:
IF this is true, then it is A shame.
who no know go know.
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

We all have our problems. This is certainly not good news and we all hope that this mess can be resolved. Wome said more in an interview, criticising an SG as well for ostracising Alioum Boukar, and SOng for not taking enough responsibility for players' issues before the WC. Does that sound familiar?
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

mlkama wrote:We all have our problems. This is certainly not good news and we all hope that this mess can be resolved. Wome said more in an interview, criticising an SG as well for ostracising Alioum Boukar, and SOng for not taking enough responsibility for players' issues before the WC. Does that sound familiar?
This is not encouraging for african football.Only in Africa that A

lawyer will tell A medical doctor how to treat A patient.
who no know go know.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

omey2k4, Its a Goal,

Total agree with both of you.
okjazz
Egg
Egg

Post by okjazz »

I dont see the ommision of Mboma as a problem. Schaefer probably has good reasons. Remember how Scolari was vilified for ommitting Romario from his world cup squad ? It turns out he was right. Romario was not what Brazil needed at the time and given his petulant behavior, he may havedestroyed team chemistry.