How do we accomodate YAK, JAG and King Kanu?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

So YAK is suddenly hot again because he scored on a set-play header (against Aston Villa), and this time around (2 goals) against Man City. It's good he's picking up some type of steam.

...Unfortunately, I am not blind folded of the fact, that he will be going up against defenders, the calibre of Yobo, West, and Okoronkwo (at any given time) in the ANC.

I am still of the belief that Nworgu could provide more of, a consistent bite with his elusive style of play- which is what we need, to keep opposing defenders honest. A JAG/Nworgu partnership will be my vote (for my deficient knowledge of personnel in camp).

Just my opinion.
You are Your Own Dog
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

Must we use Obodo and Olofin at the same time?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How do we accomodate YAK, JAG and King Kanu?

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Jiggerman21 wrote:Based on current form, why not the following attacking line-up?

----------------------------- YAK -----------------------------
-------------------------------------- KANU ---------------------------------------
----- OKOCHA ---------------------------------------- AGHAHOWA ------------

--------------------OLOFINJANA?-------OBODO--------------------------------

---BABAYARO--------WEST-----------OKORONKWO------YOBO-------------

--------------------------------- GOALIE? ----------------------------------------

as part of a 4-4-2 formation?

We just need 2 correct central midfielders. Obodo for DM and then who fills the other spot?

With Yak scoring, we need JAG's speed and strength in an attacking midfield role, linking with Kanu and getting behind the defence.

Okocha's skillz from the left will provide Yak with plenty chances.
Jiggerman21,

Obviously you didn't learn anything from the Brazil game, but not to worry, 'cos I'm sure CCC did. I predict the following lineup, a slight modification of yours:

----------------------------- AGALI-----------------------------
-------------------------------------- KANU ---------------------------------------
----- EKWUEME---------------------------------------- AGHAHOWA -----------
-------------------OLOFINJANA-------OKOCHA--------------------------------

--------------------------------- OKOYE ----------------------------------------

In addition, don't be surprised to see Melkam start in place of Okoronkwo, possibly switching up with Yobo.

Cheers.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

----------------------------- AGALI-----------------------------
----- EKWUEME---------------------------------------- AGHAHOWA -----------
-------------------OLOFINJANA-------OKOCHA--------------------------------

--------------------------------- OKOYE ----------------------------------------

I hope CCC learnt something...but Kanu and okocha in the midfield is redundant...
I see u have the 'twin tower' formation but my problem with kanu and agali upfront is that agali is useless if he is not recieving constant crosses...we really dont have a finidi to supply agali like that...secondly with 2 slow strikers like kanu and agali we will never penetrate any defence...especiallly since kanu is fond of putting people on the run...if kanu puts agali on the run he wont be able to create anything because he is too slow....reminds me of ANC2k with chukwu and kanu upfront..chukwu was just to slow to convert the chances kanu created...
i think the best formation i have seen is okocha on the right wing, kanu in the middle and aghahowa and ayibegini upfront...advantage is that kanu will keep supplying YAk and Agha who are both fast players and okocha can supply some crosses as well as penetrate from the wing....but the problem with this formation is that the opposing team will keep penetrating down the centre since Kanu;s defending skills are 0..and even when kanu helps in defence it is insignificant....thats why i prefer okocha in the middle because he really helps the defence...and we cant have kanu and okocha in the middle...redundant.
it will be intresting to see what CCC will do..
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Kanu might have to sit some; Combinning him with JJ in the middle has outlived its usefulness! We also cannot play three attackers because we'll have to sacrifice in the middle or back as Kali's formation suggests (3 in the rear). With all the difficulties we're having in goal, a 3 defensive midfield of Ekwueme/Lawal, Obodo and Olofi is needed. Hopefully we can get fire power from the wingbacks ala Goerge and Udeze. With this, we'll be covered both in the front and at the rear.

J21: The good thing about all the strikers being in form is that when one is not performing, we can deploy a replacement without any drop in the quality and effectiveness of our play.

We must not be too greedy tho! Those Westerhof days used to give people heart attack. Remember in SA in 93/94; Annaba (Algeria) and against Zaire (DR Congo now, in 94).

Too much attack without cover in the back is a good recipe for disaster especially against a very organized and confident opposition.
...but with God all things are possible...
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Just like you i still don't think Aiyegbeni have reached his potential to be described as hot. But tell us which other striker (apart from Aghahowa) out there that has a better scoring record than Aiyegbeni in club and SE. Since Martins is no show, YAK is the next in line.
Dog Bruno wrote:So YAK is suddenly hot again because he scored on a set-play header (against Aston Villa), and this time around (2 goals) against Man City. It's good he's picking up some type of steam.

...Unfortunately, I am not blind folded of the fact, that he will be going up against defenders, the calibre of Yobo, West, and Okoronkwo (at any given time) in the ANC.

I am still of the belief that Nworgu could provide more of, a consistent bite with his elusive style of play- which is what we need, to keep opposing defenders honest. A JAG/Nworgu partnership will be my vote (for my deficient knowledge of personnel in camp).

Just my opinion.
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

Ehm there is Aliyu Mohammed ???
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

chif456 wrote:Ehm there is Aliyu Mohammed ???
Not yet proven in club and SE to be regarded as a starter.
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

Talk IT wrote:Just like you i still don't think Aiyegbeni have reached his potential to be described as hot. But tell us which other striker (apart from Aghahowa) out there that has a better scoring record than Aiyegbeni in club and SE. Since Martins is no show, YAK is the next in line.
Dog Bruno wrote:So YAK is suddenly hot again because he scored on a set-play header (against Aston Villa), and this time around (2 goals) against Man City. It's good he's picking up some type of steam.

Just my opinion.
TALK IT, goal tally is quite irrelevant at this point...I can only re-affirm that Nworgu, out performed YAK in most (if not all) the games they played together- at the qualifiers, go watch the tapes.

Secondly, he outperformed YAK, in the short period he played in the Brasil game...go watch the tape, he's full of bite, Pitbull kinda bites.
You are Your Own Dog
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

TonyTheTigerKiller,

only problem I have with your formation is Okocha in the middle. I don't see him surviving given his age. There will be a defensive hole in the midfield.

Also, Agali upront doesn't really look good.
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Dog Bruno
How can you say goal scored should not count in this case. The yardstick for any striker is goals scored. No disrespect to Nwogu but he's not in the same class with YAK. Everyone have their own interpretation of the term "outplayed". But did he outscore YAK?
Or is this not the same Nwogu that busies himself but no end product? Or is the not the same guy that when running to the left he will be looking towards the right? :D

Dog Bruno wrote:
Talk IT wrote:Just like you i still don't think Aiyegbeni have reached his potential to be described as hot. But tell us which other striker (apart from Aghahowa) out there that has a better scoring record than Aiyegbeni in club and SE. Since Martins is no show, YAK is the next in line.

Just my opinion.
TALK IT, goal tally is quite irrelevant at this point...I can only re-affirm that Nworgu, out performed YAK in most (if not all) the games they played together- at the qualifiers, go watch the tapes.

Secondly, he outperformed YAK, in the short period he played in the Brasil game...go watch the tape, he's full of bite, Pitbull kinda bites.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

There is room for the 3 of them.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

only problem I have with your formation is Okocha in the middle. I don't see him surviving given his age. There will be a defensive hole in the midfield.
If okocha doesn't play the middle then we are dead....he helps in defense...other alternatives would be Osaze and Kanu...Osaze lacks experince which okocha has and kanu lacks stamina..
-Biggie
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

Blakes wrote:
If okocha doesn't play the middle then we are dead....he helps in defense...other alternatives would be Osaze and Kanu...Osaze lacks experince which okocha has and kanu lacks stamina..
This is sad. You mean nobody can control the central midfield unless it's Okocha?

I really think the man is getting too old for the battle in midfield, especially in a long tournament like this. Surely there must be a younger, more athletic guy to take that role.

...and Kanu in midfield? nah men!
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

i honestly think that this is our best formation:

.....................................Enyeama.......................

Usim/Enakhire..........Yobo.............Taribo..............Babayaro

........Okocha..............Melkam....................Ekwueme/Lawal

...............................................Kanu......................................

........................Agahowa.....................Utaka/Ayegeni.................

4-3-3 seems the most sensible option considering the players we've got but the last time we tried it Okocha looked lost and the attack was blunt.

If I remember clearly Agahowa was an excellent right winger for Nigeria before Amodu converted him into an out and out striker.

but CCC has been playing Utaka on the right which i think is a waste. Even Pius Ikedia would be much more effective on the right than Utaka.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

good one omey
Egg

Post by Blakes »

Jiggerman 21
This is sad. You mean nobody can control the central midfield unless it's Okocha?

I really think the man is getting too old for the battle in midfield, especially in a long tournament like this. Surely there must be a younger, more athletic guy to take that role.

...and Kanu in midfield? nah men!
true it is sad...and i gave u some options to replace okocha with...remember he is a creative midfeilder...u can go ahead and add obodo to the list as welll but none of these people will do what okocha can do..It is up too CCC to asses when okocha is tired and see who he can replace him with..
I think there is a whole thread dedicated to the"who to replace okocha with"question-..
Old obsession said
...............................................Kanu......................................

........................Agahowa.....................Utaka/............................

I dont think we should put Utaka up front...I would prefer to see Yak..he just plays like he is hungrier...And putting kanu in the middle will create a porous midfield...BTW i think Utaka plays right for his club tooo....
-Biggie
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

Hey Blakes

u're right having Kanu in the middle will expose our defense a little more. But I think Nigerian football has always been at its best when we defended by attacking.

Anyway with all due respect to our opponents at ANC I don't believe they will have the calibre to exploit Kanu's lack of aggression especially if his partner in central midfield is a hardrock gatekeeper like Yobo was against Ireland and Argentina.

I wouldn't recommend Yobo again in that position cause he offers no attacking options whatsoever. I don't know what Melkam can bring as DM but i know Ekwueme is highly rated as a DM in Poland (make of that whatever you will) .If either one of them is as good as Justice Christopoher was at WC (against England) then I think we'll be alright.

Remember against England and Sweden in WC, Okocha, Christopher and a defense-minded left midfielder (babayaro then Opabumi) helped create a fairly tight midfield that excused the poor defensive credentials of the attacking midfielders in both games : Utaka in one and Obiora in the other. If such a formation was good enough for WC i think it would be good enough at the ANC as long as its done right. 2 defensive midfielders is not necessary.
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

about utaka and ayegbeni..to be honest i see where u're coming from - Ayegbeni deserves it more but i have a soft spot for Utaka - i didn't know he played right wing for his club - isuspect he's being misued there as well but it's slightly comforting to know that he has experience in that position to draw on should ccc deploy him there.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Bigpokey24 wrote:well what about ATL 96 they both played together
Atlanta '96 was 8 years ago, and Kanu and Okocha were then Under 23 full of zeal and energy. Additionally that was pre-Kanu's heart problem when he was taken risk with defenders all over him.
The two of them no longer have the same stamina.