CHUKWU: ON HIS TEAM

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglet
Eaglet
CHUKWU: ON HIS TEAM

Post by GUEST »

Nations Cup is within grasp — Chukwu
SOURCE: VANGUARD

By Ademola Olajire
Sunday, January 11, 2004

Super Eagles coach, Christian Chukwu says he has faith in the ability of the present crop of senior team players to put smiles on the faces of soccer-mad Nigerians by lifting the African Cup of Nations in Tunisia next month.
The 54-year old, who celebrated his birthday last week at the team’s training camp in Faro, Portugal sees Captain Austin Jay-Jay Okocha stepping up to the podium to receive the biggest prize in African football from Tunisian President Zinedine Ben Ali inside the November 11 Stadium, Rades in the evening of February 14 - Lovers Day.
“I think it’s a good omen (returning to Tunisia where he was with the team as assistant coach when they won the trophy in 1994) and a very big challenge. For me it’s like I’m going to defend the Cup that we won there in 1994. That’s the way I see it, and that’s why I’ll do everything to ‘retain’ the trophy”, Chukwu said in an interview published in the latest edition of KICK OFF magazine.
“I’m not thinking about Cameroon right now because that’s a long way away. My focus now is on our first match, against Morocco. Let’s take one thing at a time. If we do meet Cameroon, there will be a different outcome this time.
“We’ve already started by beating them in the LG Cup, and some of the boys from that team will be in our Nations Cup team That’s already a confidence-booster for us”, stated the one they call ‘chairman’. BUT NONE OF THOSE BOYS YOU BEAT WILL BE IN THEIR CURRENT TEAM-MY KOBO
Cameroon, who won the trophy in the past two editions, are still the big favourites and even Nigerian Captain Jay-Jay Okocha admitted they would have the psychological advantage if both teams clash. The Indomitable Lions won their first African title by beating Nigeria in Abidjan in 1984, and then beat Nigeria to win again in 1988 and 2000. Their fourth triumph came in Mali two years ago, at the expense of Senegal.
All three teams are rated high for the championship trophy as the Nations cup finals begin in Tunisia in 13 days time. But Chukwu, who captained the Eagles to their first win at home in 1980, and chases the unique record for victories as player and chief coach held by Egyptian Mahmoud Al Gohary, says his squad is ready to change the destiny.
“I believe my team is ready for any opposition. We will not play to avoid anybody. In fact, they (Cameroon) should be playing to avoid us. We’ll be playing to top our group. What they do is not our problem”. WELL SAID CHUKWU
The Eagles are set to leave Faro for Tunisia this week, as Coach Chukwu announces his Final 22 on Friday. Nigeria play against former winners Morocco, South Africa and Benin Republic in a tough group D.

ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Sounds to me like some bit of confidence there.Nice.
who no know go know.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I love hearing the tough talking CCC. NOw I hope he translates that into good technical instructions at the tournament as the players skills and his technical imput might just give us the cup.
To stop trying is to start dying
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

CCC is thrash and so are his team selections! :evil:
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Ahead 2004 Nations Cup
We Are Ready, Says Chukwu
BY GEORGE UDE

SUPER Eagles Chief Coach Christian Chukwu, says he is very optimistic about Nigeria's chances at the 2004 African Nations Cup billed for Tunisia later this month.

Speaking with The Guardian via a telephone interview from the Eagles Faro, Portugal camp, Chukwu said: "Tell Nigerians that we are ready for the African challenge. There is healthy competition among the boys here (Faro) and that is a clear indication of good things that will happen in Tunisia when the competition gets underway." Chukwu revealed that most invited players had reported to camp except John Utaka from France and those he referred to as the London group, which includes skipper Austin Okocha, Joseph Yobo, Isaac Okoronkwo, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Nwakwo Kanu and others who were held back by club engagements.

According to him, the competition and spirit in the camp is high, "the home-based players are giving their foreign-based counter-parts stiff opposition, and you know opportunities abound here, so everybody is fighting for a shirt. In fact, the whole camp is bubbling, not only with footballers, but with Nigerian sports journalists alike. As at Friday, we have six journalists from Nigeria who are on ground."

He further hinted that some of the London group might join the camp today, while the rest would possibly arrive tomorrow for full concentration before the journey to Tunisia. "I'm impressed with the turn out in camp so far and I expect a higher degree next week when I expect to have a full camp. The competition will definitely be higher and that, no doubt, will be good for us," he enthused.

When asked about a possible Super Eagles-Cameroun clash, Chukwu dismissed it, saying, "We will be in Tunisia to play and win the cup of Nations for Nigeria. We are not going to Tunisia to play. Cameroun or any country for that matter, none of these countries can stand on our way, be it Senegal, Cameroun or Tunisia. They are equally scared of our team and individual players as well." Chukwu said
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

Kai! I can't wait. Dem all go hear wen. Something just tells me this is our year.
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

WHO WROTE THOSE THINGS IN RED, WHO TOLD YOU THAT NONE OF THE BOYS THEY BIT WILL NOT BE IN THE CURRENT TEAM... YOU GUYS JUST TALKING FUNNY AT TIMES.

Image Yobo captained Nigeria's side in the LG Final

Image Suffo was in the Cameroonian team

Nigeria team:
Yakubu Aiyegbeni,
Joseph Enakhire
Patrick Agyema
Greg Etafia,
Joseph Yobo,
Ifeanyi Udeze,
Abbey George,
Ekpe Ikong
(Bob Usim),
Ahmed Garba,
Uche Ugochukwu
(Benabo Menabo),
Christian Obodo
(Emmanuel Godwin),
Pina Ajuwa;
Yaro Yaro

Cameroon, with Patrick Suffo and Guy Ipoua as their only overseas-based players, battled the Eagles to a standstill in the match, played in pouring rain in Lagos.

Two Cameroonians - Noyves (Cmr) 18, Mambile Bayemi (Cmr) 86], got red cards.

Ekonga Hans was also part of the team.

These are the names I can remember for now.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

CCC that is a nice one. STRENGTH OF CHARACTER
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

I just wish CCC got the support from Galadima and co. The man is saying all the right things and expressing confidence. Besides, at the risk of sounding arrogant, why should Nigeria fear anybody, yes, we respect the opposition, but we can neva fear no one. Why? We are Nigerians, we fear no one or nothing. It is in our make up and character, this is why we are excelling in all professions all over the world.

For London here, I can get as many wives as I want because most of those African women want a Naijaman even if he get wife for house. Our women are not amused and they complain about how these other women nor dey let us rest. I remember how my friend and him guy wey come for Italy wan go one African Night club, him wife come dey advice am say make dem nor go there oh because all these girls from other African country dey wait for dem. I laff sotay. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: In my office, and the place I use to work, all the black women did not hide the fact that they preffered a Nigerian man out of all the Black men. All this despite attempts to put us down by jealous people. Dem go say Naija man just wan use you, the girl go reply, I will rather be used by a Nigerian man than another type of man.

In all sectors of English life, we are excelling, from Football to anything we dey kampe. This is one more reason why I proudly wear my Nigerianess in my heart and on my sleeves. For Clock End for Highbury all of dem know where I stand, I dey always tell dem say we go whoop dem.

The thing be say dem nor dey argue am, they give us full respect, why they can see Jay Jay, Papi, Baba, Yak, etc for EPL. In fact they were surprised and thankful we did not qualify from our group in the WC. Dem dey ask me, why are Nigeria not African Champions? I say to dem na poor organisation be our problem.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Hmmm Waffiman nice narration and no worry i go land dia soon soon. I have to report to headquaters very soon on all my missions for all over the globe... :wink: Also it will be nice to come back to my old stomping grounds....

As for those African women hmm tell dem say MI5 dey come rescue dem soon soon.... :lol: :lol: 8)

Waffiman wrote:I just wish CCC got the support from Galadima and co. The man is saying all the right things and expressing confidence. Besides, at the risk of sounding arrogant, why should Nigeria fear anybody, yes, we respect the opposition, but we can neva fear no one. Why? We are Nigerians, we fear no one or nothing. It is in our make up and character, this is why we are excelling in all professions all over the world.

For London here, I can get as many wives as I want because most of those African women want a Naijaman even if he get wife for house. Our women are not amused and they complain about how these other women nor dey let us rest. I remember how my friend and him guy wey come for Italy wan go one African Night club, him wife come dey advice am say make dem nor go there oh because all these girls from other African country dey wait for dem. I laff sotay. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: In my office, and the place I use to work, all the black women did not hide the fact that they preffered a Nigerian man out of all the Black men. All this despite attempts to put us down by jealous people. Dem go say Naija man just wan use you, the girl go reply, I will rather be used by a Nigerian man than another type of man.

In all sectors of English life, we are excelling, from Football to anything we dey kampe. This is one more reason why I proudly wear my Nigerianess in my heart and on my sleeves. For Clock End for Highbury all of dem know where I stand, I dey always tell dem say we go whoop dem.

The thing be say dem nor dey argue am, they give us full respect, why they can see Jay Jay, Papi, Baba, Yak, etc for EPL. In fact they were surprised and thankful we did not qualify from our group in the WC. Dem dey ask me, why are Nigeria not African Champions? I say to dem na poor organisation be our problem.
Soldier of Fortune...
humphrey ngando
Egg
Egg

Post by humphrey ngando »

Vindave,

Patrick Sufo and Guy Ipoua are not part of the preselected 27 players for Cameroun.So no one who participated in the LG tournament will participate in ANC.