Mboma returns for Cameroon

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Diabo
Egg
Egg

Post by Diabo »

By Martin Etonge
BBC Sport, Yaounde

Mboma will travel to Spain with the team

Cameroon football authorities have succumbed to public demands to recall Patrick Mboma to the national team.

Head coach Winfried Schafer told journalists during a press conference on Sunday that Mboma will be part of the provisional team that will camp in Spain ahead of the tournament in Tunisia.

Schafer said it was necessary to include the former African Footballer of the Year because he could play a deciding role for the Indomitable Lions.

"During our camping in Spain, We'll give Mboma a chance to prove that he is fit for the Nations Cup.

"He has always been a good player, a player who can make the difference because of his personality and experience," Schafer admitted.

We'll give Mboma a chance

Winfried Schafer

The German's pronouncment came a day after legend Roger Milla said State President Paul Biya had asked him to look into the situation, which has fuelled speculation that Mboma's return was the result of Biya's intervention.

Schafer told the BBC Sport website he was not against the inclusion of Mboma in the squad but refused to make specific comments on the allegations that sports minister Bidoung Mkpatt had opposed the player's return to the team.

Vice-captain Samuel Eto'o Fils told journalists that the squad was pleased to have Mboma back.

"There has never been any rivalry between Patrick and me, as some people have been made to understand.

"Instead we complement each other and understand ourselves," Eto'o said.

Mboma, who plays for Japanese side Verdy, has been in Yaounde since 2 January but has refused to make any public statements on his problems with the national team.

However, a close associate of the player told this website that he would talk to the media after a meeting with the sports minister.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

So na sports ministry dey choose team for Cameroon now ?
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

lagos777 wrote:So na sports ministry dey choose team for Cameroon now ?

Lagos777:

You may say so but a public outcry like that is likely to influence a coach, it does not matter whether he is an IC or FC as we like to categorize them here.Btw, it is not the first time that none football authorities in Cameroon have selected a player and imposed him on a Cameroon coach. If you recall, Roger Milla was imposed on Cameroon coaches (FCs) in 1990 and I suppose 1994 as well.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Ole boy , I no say anything about IC or FC , na u talk am. I was just surprised that a Shaffer bowed to the pressure in the first place. I can't imagine a coach like Sven bow to that kinda pressure form anybody . The EFA won't even get involved in such stupidity .
BTW , there was public outcry for Romario but Scolari ignored him ?
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

lagos777 wrote:Ole boy , I no say anything about IC or FC , na u talk am. I was just surprised that a Shaffer bowed to the pressure in the first place. I can't imagine a coach like Sven bow to that kinda pressure form anybody . The EFA won't even get involved in such stupidity .
BTW , there was public outcry for Romario but Scolari ignored him ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Why you say na me talk am? Abi you no allude to am? :lol:
Alaafin
Egg
Egg

Post by Alaafin »

YAOUNDE, Jan 11 (Reuters) - Cameroon have called up striker Patrick Mboma for a training camp after initially leaving the former African Footballer of the Year out of a provisional squad for the African Nations Cup.
"After all considerations, we decided to call back Patrick Mboma to join his colleagues for training which begins in Malaga, Spain, on Monday January 12," coach Winfried Schafer told a news conference on Sunday in the capital Yaounde.
"But he must prove that he is still competent to be retained in the final list of players for Tunisia," he said.
Schafer would not say why Mboma, who plays in Japan's J-League, was left out of the Indomitable Lions's earlier 26-man squad.
The German coach has come under fierce public criticism in the soccer-mad central African nation for not naming Mboma, who was joint top scorer in the 2002 finals in Mali.
Government sources said President Paul Biya had asked for Mboma, who was a member of Cameroon's winning squads at the last two Nations Cup finals in 2000 and 2002, to be recalled.
"When it comes to the national football team, the president does not want people to be taking chances," a government aide, who did not want to be named, told Reuters.
In poverty-crippled Africa, success on the soccer field can yield public relations rewards for politicians seen to associate themselves with the rare feel-good victories. Biya, who has ruled for more than 20 years faces a presidential poll in 2004.
"There could have been no other moment when the president needs the Lions more than 2004 which is an election year in the country," the aide said.
Mboma's return was welcomed by his team mates.
"I am very pleased about his comeback. We've always combined very well up front to give Cameroonians happy moments," said Real Mallorca's top scorer Samuel Eto'o.
Ibrahim Ngamboket, a taxi driver who took time off from his job on Sunday to attend the news conference, jumped for joy.
"Outside Mboma we don't have any strong centre-forward ... Moreover, just his presence on the field causes the opponents' defence to tremble," he said.
Cameroon's assistant administrative manager said Arsenal defender Lauren had agreed to come back to the national team after the African Nations Cup finals, which are being held in Tunisia from January 24-February 14.

01/11/04 09:15 ET
Iku Baba Yeye; Alase Ikeji Orisa

He who has power over life and death; Second-in-Command to the gods
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

In 1994, it seemed like Westahof di not want Rufai back in the NAtional team, but a public outcry and a pressure from the the NFA to the PResidency, i guess, forced Rufai's recall to the team just before the ANC.
So those things are normal.
Buea
Egg
Egg

Post by Buea »

lagos777 wrote:So na sports ministry dey choose team for Cameroon now ?
LAGOS777, You see some sport minister think say them be god, so they put their hands inside thing whe yi no be for them. this particular minister na biya in-law so even though ye no sabi anything ye still dey for ministry creating confusion like refusing to call Mboma , Wome, Alioum etc. But justice don prevail.
Our goal is to remain superior to the eagles!
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

Well, I hope Mboma can deliver for us unlike in the WC when he was clearly unfit but was fielded. It would be a shame if he takes the place of fitter, hungrier players when he is not in shape.
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

you can't put a price on experience guys . And if Mboma eventually makes it to the ANC he will bring loads of that to his team
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

One word- shameful
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp