The Yak says: "I love my country I no go lie"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
The Yak says: "I love my country I no go lie"

Post by cic old boy »

From the print edition of the News of the World:

Yakubu's team -mates, Kanu of Arsenal and Bolton's Jay-Jay Okocha, have been told by their club bosses they cannot leave [for the Nations Cup] until the last minute. But nothing will persuade the Portsmouth striker, 21, from missing out on what to him is one of soccer's greatest events.

He said: "I speak to Kanu on the phone and see him when I am in London. I feel sorry for the situation he is in. We all want to help our clubs as much as we can.

I don't like the fact that I will be leaving Portsmouth when they are so short of players through injuries.

But my country also needs me and I am looking forward to playing. Kanu and Jay-Jay feel the same. They want to help their clubs - but they don't want to miss the Nations Cup.

Two years ago I played for Nigeria when we finished third. Obviously, it would be fantastic to win the Cup - and that's my dream. I understand the frustration of the managers at losing us at a crucial stage of the season and I realise that most people in Europe have no idea what the Nations Cup means to us.

The fact is everyone from Africa wants to play in it and all the fans want to see it. It's not just the football. It's about representing your country.

Life in Africa is totally different from here. At the age of seven you are sitting around the streets looking for money. I sold fruit in the market.

I love my country and it really gives me a lift to play for Nigeria."
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

What a PATRIOT
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

i LIKE HIS SPIRIT.
who no know go know.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

The fact is everyone from Africa wants to play in it and all the fans want to see it. It's not just the football. It's about representing your country.

So if everyone from Africa, and even 2nd generation immigrants would risk their careers to participate in Africa's premier tournament, I think it speaks volumes about the likes of Obazombie Martins and where his heart truly lies.

We love you to Yaks :lol: Thanks for caring about the Super Eagles and the fans...
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
bleaching cream
Egg
Egg

Post by bleaching cream »

abeg leave Martains alone. he hasn't said he will never play for naija.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

I love palm wine, I no go lie,
My papa na tapper, I no go lie,
My mama na seller, I no go lie,
Me sef na something, I no go lie,
Na inside am we dey something everyday,
I will never regret to be a drinker,
Palm wine is good, for you and me,

O yo yo yo yo (O yo yo)
Africa number one (O yo yo)
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

"I love my country and it really gives me a lift to play for Nigeria."
This is the same country some tribal jingoist wants divided, no way!
Some of us are willing to die to right the wrongs of Nigeria even whilst we work at uplifting his image.
Way to go Yak! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

FF: Abeg tell them o!
http://www.naijiant.com/
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

..and some people are even begging to play for other countries and even ready to denounce their motherland. Some are not ready to play and will not even be ready to play any day.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Good piece.
Bell

Post by Bell »

THE HOPE FOR NIGERIA

I can't believe how "patriotic" many Nigerians are in the face of the conditions in the country - CIC, FURIOUSLY FRANK, etc. Even YUJAM. This is the hope for Nigeria.
Bell