Divided across colonial boundaries (England vs France)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

nakson
Egg
Egg
Divided across colonial boundaries (England vs France)

Post by nakson »

Forumers

I watched england vs cameroon with a bunch of Senegalese, Ivorians, Nigerians, Cameroonians, Benenoise etc. I noticed that all the anglophones wanted england to loose while all the francophones wanted france to loose. I am beginning to wonder of we are beginning to harbour the necessary hatred needed to overcome our colonial masters.
If a monkey is amongst dogs, why won't it start barking?

Nobody mourns an unnoticed death.

If a donkey kicks you and you kick back, you are both donkeys.

He who eats well speaks well or it is a question of insanity.

A tiger does not have to proclaim its tigri-tude.

When man pikin dey piss, him dey hold something for hand. Woman wey try-am, go piss for her hand.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Spoke to a Camerounian Friend with loads of friends (blacks) in France, they were all rooting for England. He seemed suprised that most of us so called - Anglophones - are rooting for France.

What can I say, there might be something in this colonial backlash theory afterall. Just to add, I watched the game in a pub in Cardiff Wales and the biggest cheers for the ZZ goals came from the white Welsh people.
sufferhead
Egg
Egg

Post by sufferhead »

airwolex

wole how now? This na Imasuan, how Cardiff dey?
Greet ogami Gbenga
However, no one will fight for us, that is, for the overwhelming majority, only we will do it. Only we can save humanity ourselves with the support of millions of manual and intellectual workers from the developed nations who are conscious of the catastrophes befalling their peoples. Only we can do it by sowing ideas, building awareness and mobilising global and North American public opinion. No one needs to be told this. You know it very well. Our most sacred duty is to fight, and fight we will.

© Fidel Castro Ruiz 2003
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

sufferhead wrote:airwolex

wole how now? This na Imasuan, how Cardiff dey?
Greet ogami Gbenga
E dey oh...I go holla at u thru pm....permission to dey enjoy go!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

airwolex wrote:Spoke to a Camerounian Friend with loads of friends (blacks) in France, they were all rooting for England. He seemed suprised that most of us so called - Anglophones - are rooting for France.

What can I say, there might be something in this colonial backlash theory afterall. Just to add, I watched the game in a pub in Cardiff Wales and the biggest cheers for the ZZ goals came from the white Welsh people.
Kai! So you dey press those Welsh gals yansh! :P :P :P :P I get my boy there and I like Cardiff nor be small.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Waffiman wrote:
airwolex wrote:Spoke to a Camerounian Friend with loads of friends (blacks) in France, they were all rooting for England. He seemed suprised that most of us so called - Anglophones - are rooting for France.

Kai! So you dey press those Welsh gals yansh! :P :P :P :P I get my boy there and I like Cardiff nor be small.
Omo, someone gotta do de pressing, my own racism no reach woman!
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

I no know o! The French people here were backing France. In fact, everyone was backing France (cavaet: now I realize that these French-France backers still have strong ties with France).
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Nothing new there. Anyone would root for England except the Scottish and Welsh.
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Divided across colonial boundaries (England vs France)

Post by Damunk »

nakson wrote:Forumers

I watched england vs cameroon with a bunch of Senegalese, Ivorians, Nigerians, Cameroonians, Benenoise etc. I noticed that all the anglophones wanted england to loose while all the francophones wanted france to loose. I am beginning to wonder of we are beginning to harbour the necessary hatred needed to overcome our colonial masters.
This is not news!
What do you think is responsible for the near-universal hatred the Nigeriands have for the Ge'esi (English)?

My Camerounian neighbour was rooting for England and was indifferent towards France. However, Cameroun get as e be, becos they have both French and English-speaking parts.
He is actually English-speaking. Apparently, they feel 'superior' to the francophone regions. (Thats what he suggests anyway).
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

I think it may have more to do with where you live than colonial experience. My Naija friends in Germany will support England against Germany. While I would support Germany against England.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

cic old boy wrote:I think it may have more to do with where you live than colonial experience. My Naija friends in Germany will support England against Germany. While I would support Germany against England.
CIC, the true indicators of where the loyalties lie are in the 'home' countries i.e. the people in Nigeria, Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana , Senegal etc.

Dont even be surprised if you find the whole of Angola rooting against Portugal.

Actually, last Sat (June 12), I posted this on another thread:
Consider this:
Whats the difference between
1. Anti-(Colonial Mentality); and
2. (Anti-Colonial) Mentality;
...and how does it affect your support of Euro 2004 teams?

I see not one Cybereagle supports England.
I wonder why.

What is it with Africans and their European colonial masters?
A quick poll of my Francophone fellow Africans around me shows they DO NOT want FRANCE to win, while Nigerians (Ghanaians etc) probably do.
Meanwhile, we DO NOT want England to win. In fact, we are hoping for their early elimination and humiliation.

Is this a legacy (of colonialism)?

So are you:

1. Anti-(Colonial Mentality); or
2. (Anti-Colonial) Mentality;
Can you even tell the difference?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "