Russian Euro Team Taking A Page from the SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Russian Euro Team Taking A Page from the SE

Post by Bell »

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Mostovoi thrown out of Russia squad

Sonia Oxley

MOSCOW/LISBON, June 15 (Reuters) - Russia axed experienced midfielder Alexander Mostovoi from their Euro 2004 squad on Tuesday after he criticised Georgy Yartsev's coaching methods.

Mostovoi: Ousted for outburst (PhilCole/GettyImages)

Mostovoi blamed Saturday's 1-0 loss to Spain on Yartsev's strenuous training schedule and said Russia were unlikely to qualify from the group stage of the competition.

'The gentleman (Mostovoi) didn't believe in the team's chances and he made that public. I don't consider that is acceptable from a player of his experience,' said Russian team press chief Alexander Chernov.

Yartsev dropped Mostovoi after a meeting with him at the team's base in southern Portugal on Monday night. Chernov said the 35-year-old had set a bad example to younger players in the squad.

The departure of one of their senior players is another blow to Russia ahead of a crucial match with hosts Portugal in Lisbon on Wednesday. Defeat for either team could kill off their chances of reaching the last eight.

Mostovoi told Spanish radio station Onda Cero after their opening game: 'We were totally shattered. I don't think Spain were worked as hard as we were before this tournament.

'I'm really angry about it and I don't think we'll qualify now,' added Mostovoi, who plays his club football in Spain with Celta Vigo.

Ironically, Mostovoi had been recalled to the squad last year by Yartsev when he took over as coach.

Valery Draganov, vice-president of the Russian Football Union, said the decision to fire Mostovoi was hasty.

'I really regret this decision, it does not help the team,' Draganov told Ekho Moskvy radio.

'Even if Mostovoi spoke out critically against the coach, I don't think it is a reason for such a quick dismissal. We don't have enough players of Mostovoi's calibre -- people like that are worth their weight in gold.'

RUSSIAN RIFT

There had been talk of unrest amongst the Russian camp in the wake of Saturday's defeat after coach Yartsev took a swipe at the midfielders in his post-match comments, criticising their lack of support for lone striker Dmitry Bulykin.

He also said his players did not stick to their game plan after the hard-working Spaniards dominated the opening half-hour.

'I'm disappointed by the failure of the team to do things we had discussed,' said Yartsev, who steered Russia to the finals via a playoff after his appointment last year.

The Russians invited supporters to a question and answer session with the squad at a five-star Algarve hotel in an attempt to clear the air.

They also initially tried to play down Mostovoi's comments, saying his criticisms had been misinterpreted when translated into several languages.

Russia had already lost the services of midfielder Yegor Titov, who was banned for a year by UEFA after testing positive for a banned stimulant following November's playoff first leg against Wales.

Russia have failed to make an impact in either the World Cup or European Championship since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Their last win in this tournament dates back to 1988 when the then-Soviet Union beat Italy to reach the final.
Bell
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

This whole team is dysfunctional just like the Lakers. Imagine saying in the press that ur coach is the reason you lost, and that u don't think you will qualify with him. What type of nonsense is that. That's why it's not good to have these really old players in the team, cus they are just dumb. People like Oliseh for example. This is the type of thing he will do.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Quote from the UK Guardian
[Mostovoi's] expulsion was announced by Alexander Chernov, administrative director of the Russian squad. "Mostovoi will have to leave the squad because his declarations were unfortunate and lacking in ethics," he said. "It would be unfortunate for him to continue."

But that view was later strongly opposed by the Russian football federation vice-president Valery Draganov. "I regret this decision very much; it will not benefit the team. Even if Mostovoi spoke critically of the coach, I don't think this is grounds for such a swift dismissal. We don't have enough players on the level of Mostovoi - people who are worth their weight in gold."
They handle things differently in Russia. The coach has more autonomy.