Strikers 'war' hits Super Eagles

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)
Strikers 'war' hits Super Eagles

Post by naija4ever »

At the 2004 Unity Gold Cup, Super Eagles Chief coach, Christian Chukwu presented an attacking combination that showed promise. Anchored by wonder kid and Inter Milan player, Obafemi Martins and ably assisted by Bartholomew Ogbeche, the players' hunger for goals opened a new chapter for a keener contest for the top striker's role.
At the Unity Cup, which the Eagles won, Obafemi marked his long talked about appearance with a stunner of a goal against the Republic of Ireland with Ogbeche scoring a brace to settle scores at 3-0. Ogbeche capped the tournament with another goal against Jamaica to make him the highest scorer.

Perhaps to show that his effort at the Unity Cup was a tip of the iceberg, Martins, in the world cup qualifier against the Wasps of Rwanda, grabbed a brace to secure victory for the Super Eagles. The day clearly belonged to Martins as Ogbeche who had been in his elements at the Unity Cup was more or less silent being substituted with Belgium based striker Tosin Dosunmu in the second half.

Before Chukwu hit upon the idea of the Martins/Ogbeche partnership, the onus of delivering the goals rested squarely on the shoulders of Ukraine based Julius Aghahowa. Largely considered a perfect replacement for Yekini because of his aggressiveness and ability to score quality goals Aghahowa's failure to sparkle at the 2004 Africa Nations Cup in Tunisia paved way for Osaze Odemwengie to exhibit his skills. Although he missed a crucial penalty kick against Tunisia, Odemwengie scored two brilliant goals to register his name in the pantheon of greats.

The arrival of Martins and the renaissance of Ogbeche who had been in hibernation after an uneventful World Cup clearly sends a clear challenge to Julius Aghahowa to clean up his act. For Aghahowa and Yakubu Aiyegbeni and others who had taken things for granted and thought that the top striker's role was their exclusive preserve, times have changed. As it stands now, current ability not pedigree is what counts. Now, every striker must prove his mettle to be guaranteed a place in the squad.

Indeed with the avalanche of strikers at Chukwu's fingertips, it might be safe to say that the days of begging players to honour national call-ups are over.

Excited at the development, Chukwu told Daily Independent shortly before the Rwanda match that a player's inclusion would be based on form and not on sentiments. "I am not going to beg any player to play for the country. Like I have always believed the national team is bigger than any player and not the other way round," said Chukwu.

While observers have closely monitored the performance of the players with their clubs, it has become a difficult task to say which player would likely be used for a match when assembled at the same time. This stems from their impressive performances. From Aiyegebeni, Aghahowa, Odemwengie, Ogbeche, Dosumnu, and Martins, it has been the same story of breathtaking club performances capped with spectacular goals

Years ago, when the legendary Rashidi Yekini quit the national team, it was thought that that golden era would never be replicated. Little wonder successive Eagles handlers nearly went grey seeking a worthy replacement. Till date the ex-Victoria Setubal FC of Portugal player holds the record of scoring the highest number of goals. He may not have had certain qualities of a complete striker, but in his inimitable style he made goal scoring look effortless.

It is a tribute to his ability that till date, no Nigerian striker has been able to stamp his authority in the top strikers position the way he was able to do during his time. This is evidenced by the persistent search by every Eagles coach for a predator since he took a bow. For fans who thought that finding a replacement for him would be an easy ride, they have come away disappointed. Since his exit, an array of strikers-Jonathan Akpoborie, Victor Ikpeba, Chukwu Ndukwe, Benedict Akwuegbu have been tested for the job. Although goals never eluded the team, they did come up short. They proved to be inadequate replacement for Yekini who as the Eagles arrow head continued in the great tradition of Teslim "Thunder" Balogun, Peter Anieke, Sam Garba Okoye and Thompson Usiyen to name just a few of the goleadors who have given many a goalkeeper sleepless nights.

Today, that seems at an end. Besides Martins, Ogbeche, Aghahowa, Aiyegbeni and Dosunmu, there is the irrepressible John Utaka to complete the pack. A player of prodigious talent, Utaka has the added advantage of being a utility player. In fact not a few observers believe that in the Lens FC of France player, Nigeria may have found a replacement for Okocha. As one fan put it after watching Utaka repeatedly make mincemeat of the Jamaican defence " this player is sheer magic. With Utaka in his elements, I believe we need not look further for a replacement for Austin Okocha when he eventually quits the stage".

With a glut of talents at his disposal, Chukwu clearly has his work cut out. Unlike the coaches before him, his headache would be more in the direction of settling for a point man from the embarrassing array of talents at his disposal. Some have said the task amounts to finding a needle in a haystack. Whichever way it goes, the Eagles would certainly be the better for it. The prospect is already mouth watering.

http://odili.net/news/source/2004/jun/15/321.html
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

This is a useless editorial. I bet this guy failed his composition class in college. There is no flow to the writing, and it bores you completely, or maybe I'm mad that the Lakers lost, i don't know, But this guy sucks.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)

Post by naija4ever »

muzines wrote:This is a useless editorial. I bet this guy failed his composition class in college. There is no flow to the writing, and it bores you completely, or maybe I'm mad that the Lakers lost, i don't know, But this guy sucks.
Where were Kobe and O'neal when lakers lost? :roll: :?: :lol: :D :P :twisted: :o
Last edited by naija4ever on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

Ok, a Laker hater. Why don't u focus your energy on something better or more positive instead of just hating a team. Every LA fan will tell you that we don't hate the pistons. It's Ok that they won, afterall they still have to live in that dump called Detroit. I think it's all about jealousy for most of you guys.

As for u, and all the LA HATERS, I just want you all to go suck an orange or something.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

nothing new here
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

Our people sabi blow things out of balance- which abundance of strikers (are we talking top notch here)?

Aghahowa and Martins are top notch (I'm not about ready to ditch Aghahowa cos of ANC '04 performance)- Ogbeche and Osaze (utility player), have yet to prove their mettle.

YAK- we know how he ties his shoe-laces each time he blows a gimme.

Let's not get carried away, just yet.
You are Your Own Dog
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Una wicked o!
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

muzines wrote:Ok, a Laker hater. Why don't u focus your energy on something better or more positive instead of just hating a team. Every LA fan will tell you that we don't hate the pistons. It's Ok that they won, afterall they still have to live in that dump called Detroit. I think it's all about jealousy for most of you guys.

As for u, and all the LA HATERS, I just want you all to go suck an orange or something.
Muzines,

Does this remind you of someone ? :lol: :lol:

Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Abeg, small small with the "rubbing it in". I'm just happy Pistons won!!!
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Oba from Montreal wrote:Abeg, small small with the "rubbing it in". I'm just happy Pistons won!!!
Oba, trust me if the lakers had won, we would not hear the rest of it. So I shall enjoy every opportunity i get and add salt to the wound
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

Well, you still have to live in that dump called Detroit. LA has won more championships than you guys can even dream about, and Detroit only won b/c of a combination of things. injuries to LA's key players, and the biased officiating of the games. everybody knows this, but it's still Ok.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

muzines wrote:Well, you still have to live in that dump called Detroit. LA has won more championships than you guys can even dream about, and Detroit only won b/c of a combination of things. injuries to LA's key players, and the biased officiating of the games. everybody knows this, but it's still Ok.
lol at the excuses.. what officiating ?

2years ago, when sacramento almost schooled your lakers, no one called officiating. You have to admit it. The lakers were beaten fair and square.

If not for Kobe's shot, the lakers would have been swept. What am i saying, If not for Fisher's lucky shot, the lakers would not even be here. So thank lady luck

and by the way.

I live in LA 8)

FORZA JUVE
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

So you live in LA. Why did you move from detroit or did you ever live there. You see I respect people who support a team, but not those who hate other teams. You're just a laker hater.

The game you're talking about was when sacramento had so many free throws, but missed them all. Is that what ur talking about. watch these games. they call stupid fouls on LA, but let it go when detroit does it. u can all say what u want, but watch the games again. it's all over though, and this is just a waste of time.

Go out and enjoy the beach and think about the humid and dreary hell hole that is Detroit, and be happy you live in LA.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

juventuss wrote:
muzines wrote:Ok, a Laker hater. Why don't u focus your energy on something better or more positive instead of just hating a team. Every LA fan will tell you that we don't hate the pistons. It's Ok that they won, afterall they still have to live in that dump called Detroit. I think it's all about jealousy for most of you guys.

Muzines,

Does this remind you of someone ? :lol: :lol:

..Very wicked.. I never thought any one man could stand up to Shaq, until Big Ben show am say him no dey fear anybody.. anyhow, abeg make we allow laker fans to lick their wounds quietly since the beating has been halted... men... the beat down was ruthless. damn! 8)
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
See as guys just generally ignore the topic come begin yarn basketball.....
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

To be honest the thing pain me no be small. I refused to watch the games. Congrats to the pistons!
consiglere
Egg
Egg

Post by consiglere »

muzines wrote:So you live in LA. Why did you move from detroit or did you ever live there. You see I respect people who support a team, but not those who hate other teams. You're just a laker hater.

The game you're talking about was when sacramento had so many free throws, but missed them all. Is that what ur talking about. watch these games. they call stupid fouls on LA, but let it go when detroit does it. u can all say what u want, but watch the games again. it's all over though, and this is just a waste of time.

Go out and enjoy the beach and think about the humid and dreary hell hole that is Detroit, and be happy you live in LA.
Mr Laker Lover,
Your Lakers are sorry. Shaq held his own but other than that everybody else on the team were pathetic. Kobe was SHUT DOWN by Tayshaun. Yeye Gary no fit chase RIP about. Useless Karl don break knee. Fisher too short. Rush just dey jack up shots. Walton no get "D".
So, u see u have no right to talk. The Pistons were the better team and the trophy is back were it's supposed to be...IN THE EAST!!!!
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

Though i'm not a Laker fan but i supported them all because of Carl Malone. The guy needed atleast one championship medal after all these years in the game. :( :( :(
consiglere
Egg
Egg

Post by consiglere »

oyek wrote:Though i'm not a Laker fan but i supported them all because of Carl Malone. The guy needed atleast one championship medal after all these years in the game. :( :( :(

What of Barkley, Stockton? The guy just didn't cut it. He couldn't do it himself and sold out to the Lakers and what did he get??? ZIP, ZERO, NADA.
I wanted him to win too but definately not with the Lakers (Sorry Laker :( :( Image

Does Derek Fisher look like he's crying? :P :P
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mudi E »

What was up with Doc Rivers just jocking Luke Walton? He might as well should have held his johnny while he peed.
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Kareem rush.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^