Aiyegbeni...Why I made U-turn ‘I’m not guilty... I’m not..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)
Aiyegbeni...Why I made U-turn ‘I’m not guilty... I’m not..

Post by naija4ever »

...bigger than Nigeria, so I’ll continue to play for my fatherland’
Super Eagles’ erring striker, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, says he has turned a new leaf. He is now a ‘born-again’ Nigerian, having realised that no individual can be bigger than his country.
Aiyegbeni told Daily Sunsport, Saturday, that he made an innocuous outburst never to play for Nigeria again. But thereafter, his eardrums have literally gone numb because of calls and advises. And now, he has not only made a U-turn, he adds that he’s ready to lay down his life to ensure that Nigeria’s flag is hoisted in Germany in 2006.

At his Maryland, Lagos residence the former Julius Berger player recounted the trauma and frustration he went through after the alleged sex scandal in Tunisia, which he said caused him a lot of embarrassment and threat to his life and career.
He equally advised the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to extend invitation to the duo of Victor Agali and Celestine Babayaro, who also suffered the same fate.

"I’ll still continue to say I am not guilty to the charges of sexual rascality leveled against me," Aiyegbeni begins. "I have never been involved in this kind of allegation. So, I don’t know how to even defend myself. That was why I left as soon as I was told my presence was no longer needed in Tunisia. If I start defending myself, I might look stupid and people would start suspecting the rationale behind my defence.

Forgiven
"I felt so bad when I was sent home. And since it is said that ‘to err is human, but to forgive is divine’, I have forgiven those that were behind the whole saga. I have forgiven the sports minister and Coach Christian Chukwu. To be very frank Coach Chukwu was my role model as I was growing up. His style of play and leadership, as the captain of the then Green Eagles, inspired me to work hard as a young player, and I don’t see any reason why I should quarrel with him. "Sincerely speaking, it would be very good if the other two players, Celestine Babayaro and Victor Agali, are contacted the way I have be approached. I tell you, there’ll be no way they would not respect their fatherland.

"For me to have changed my mind, I must give kudos to the Secretary General of the NFA, Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi, and my mother, who influenced me to rescind my decision never to play for the country again. In fact, it was not a day’s negotiation. They called me to come over to Benin, and we had long hours of talks – blaming and accepting blames. My mother advised me to put the experience behind me, forgive whoever caused the trauma and forge ahead with my career. When your mum is so emotional about an issue, you know how it feels. I can’t say no. I told her there in Benin that I have a renewed pledge to lift soccer in this country to greater heights. In fact, before my mum, I pledged my total commitment to Nigeria, my fatherland. It is like an oath. If Chief Ogunjobi could go to that length to meet my parents, he should be kind enough to hold similar meetings with the parents of Victor and Celestine.
Maccabi

"I am through with Maccabi. I have a contract with Portsmouth, which implies that any controversy that comes of it is not my problem but the club’s. I have nothing to lose.
"The present crop of Eagles will take Nigerian football higher, they are younger and faster in pace. I am optimistic Nigeria will qualify for Germany 2006 with these boys, most especially now that this problem has been laid to rest finally.
"Nigeria will be in Germany and surpass the best performance of the team in the USA ’94 World Cup in terms of good game and the second round slot. I will pledge now, to every Nigerian, that whenever I am invited to play for the national team, I will not hesitate. The only thing that may cause me not to answer calls is when I am not invited, because I can’t leave my club without proper documentation."

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/s ... 15-001.htm
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

Sexual Rascality!!!Chei :shock: :shock: :shock:

This na big offense o. Even Kobe Bryant is not accused of that. Can some of our learned brothers explain what this means. I know what sex means, and I know what rascal means, but them together just sounds very very bad. Is that what he's accused of, i though he was accused of bringing chicks into the hotel.

After all this nonsense, he still doesn't go to Angola. He doesn't know that this may be his only chanc to play since we now have a player who is not a wastepipe in a Naija jersey in the form of Martins.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

To be very frank Coach Chukwu was my role model as I was growing up. His style of play and leadership, as the captain of the then Green Eagles, inspired me to work hard as a young player, and I don?t see any reason why I should quarrel with him.
Chukwu retired in 1981. hmmh a lot of credit being given to a period when Aiyegbeni wasn't born. Maybe na misquote. sha
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
WINNERMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by WINNERMAN »

AreaDaddy wrote:
To be very frank Coach Chukwu was my role model as I was growing up. His style of play and leadership, as the captain of the then Green Eagles, inspired me to work hard as a young player, and I don?t see any reason why I should quarrel with him.
Chukwu retired in 1981. hmmh a lot of credit being given to a period when Aiyegbeni wasn't born. Maybe na misquote. sha
He might have read about Chukwu in the papers and his father[like most Nija dads will do] could have related Chukwus heroics to him as a baby . Seriously,many ppl still have pele as their role model eventhough Pele played last in the 70s.
As for me and my house we will serve the LORD.-----JOSHUA 24 VS 15.

Life in Christ is not a change,it is an exchange. Your ashes for his beauty,your weakness for his strenght ,your destiny assured and a bonus of a victorious life on earth. lt is an irrestitible exchange.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

WINNERMAN wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
He might have read about Chukwu in the papers and his father[like most Nija dads will do] could have related Chukwus heroics to him as a baby . Seriously,many ppl still have pele as their role model eventhough Pele played last in the 70s.
...are you sure he only read about him?
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

AreaDaddy wrote:
Area-D,
I been tink say na only me see am o!
I was wondering 'but this guy is supposed to be, is it 19, 20'?

When he now talks about 'his style of play and leadership' :?

I do not recall NTA playing numerous re-runs of Chukwus Green eagles before I left in the early nineties.
It makes you wonder...
Last edited by Damunk on Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
WINNERMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by WINNERMAN »

...are you sure he only read about him?
.......are you sure he didnt?
As for me and my house we will serve the LORD.-----JOSHUA 24 VS 15.

Life in Christ is not a change,it is an exchange. Your ashes for his beauty,your weakness for his strenght ,your destiny assured and a bonus of a victorious life on earth. lt is an irrestitible exchange.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Damunk wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
Area-D,
I was wondering 'but this guy is supposed nto be is it 19, 20'?

I do not recall NTA playing numerous re-runs of Chukwus Green eagles before I left in the early nineties.
It makes you wonder...
.geeez his pop recorded most CCC matches for him on his DVD. :roll:
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Guv007 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
AreaDaddy wrote:
Area-D,
I was wondering 'but this guy is supposed nto be is it 19, 20'?

It makes you wonder...
.geeez his pop recorded most CCC matches for him on his DVD. :roll:
MAke u wonder if one should believe these nonsense Nigerian papers. I dont think YAk would say this cos even if he is 25-26 yrs old he would have been a baby when Chukwu retired. This is probably another case of "creative writing" by a yeye Nigerian journalist.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Stop with the age jibes alot here say Pele is the greatest player they have ever seen player, yet not mnay here would have have had the opportunity unless ofcourse you watch that boys from brasil video
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dodo wrote:Stop with the age jibes alot here say Pele is the greatest player they have ever seen player, yet not mnay here would have have had the opportunity unless ofcourse you watch that boys from brasil video
Actually, this is true. I dont usually partake in these age contoversy debates.
Thinking more about it, the only way he could have watched Chukwu 'live' "when growing up" as he states would be if he was already in his late twenties to early 30s.
Unlikely.

But you cant blame Nigerians for having a high index of suspicion.

NB: Dodo, the 'Boys From Brazil' video was not a football video. It was an early film about human cloning.
I think you might mean 'The World At Their Feet'.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Damunk wrote:
Dodo wrote:Stop with the age jibes alot here say Pele is the greatest player they have ever seen player, yet not mnay here would have have had the opportunity unless ofcourse you watch that boys from brasil video
Actually, this is true. I dont usually partake in these age contoversy debates.
Thinking more about it, the only way he could have watched Chukwu 'live' "when growing up" as he states would be if he was already in his late twenties to early 30s.
Unlikely.

But you cant blame Nigerians for having a high index of suspicion.
My older brother says the best team he has seen play is the 1970 Brasil World Cup team but he was born in 1968.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Dodo, Damunk

The reason a lot of People who were not born when they played rave about Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbaur etc is because there are lots of video clips of them in their heydays. HOw many clips of Chukwu have you seen?
YNWA
Football Manager
Egg
Egg
Re: Aiyegbeni...Why I made U-turn ‘I’m not guilty... I’m not

Post by Football Manager »

naija4ever wrote:"I felt so bad when I was sent home. And since it is said that ‘to err is human, but to forgive is divine’, I have forgiven those that were behind the whole saga. I have forgiven the sports minister and Coach Christian Chukwu. To be very frank Coach Chukwu was my role model as I was growing up. His style of play and leadership, as the captain of the then Green Eagles, inspired me to work hard as a young player, and I don’t see any reason why I should quarrel with him. "Sincerely speaking, it would be very good if the other two players, Celestine Babayaro and Victor Agali, are contacted the way I have be approached. I tell you, there’ll be no way they would not respect their fatherland.
Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh! There is no other way to put it that the gentleman in question has skeleton in his "BASINboard".
Beyond the glory
Egg
Egg
Give props to Eze

Post by Beyond the glory »

I have seen clips of CCC exploits in 1980 and 1976 Nations cup from tapes bought from one and only archive wizard Ezesportsworld...thanks a million times my bro
Chairman Nigerian soccer Paparazzi
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Yakubu says he saw CCC play as the captain of the "then green eagles",
na wa -o!
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

To be honest I don't think Aiyegbeni is being quoted verbatim by the Journalist. I suspect he probably said something as simple as "I respect Chukwu as a former captain of the Green Eagles" and the Journalist looking at the paucity of his copy decided to spice it up.

The language the Journalist then chose unfortunately strongly conveys the impression that Aiyegbeni had first hand experience of Chukwu's days as a player. This obviously can't be the case as he have to be a minimum of about 28 to have had such an experience and appreciated it.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Aiyegbeni...Why I made U-turn ‘I’m not guilty... I’m not

Post by Waffiman »

Football Manager wrote:
naija4ever wrote:"I felt so bad when I was sent home. And since it is said that ‘to err is human, but to forgive is divine’, I have forgiven those that were behind the whole saga. I have forgiven the sports minister and Coach Christian Chukwu. To be very frank Coach Chukwu was my role model as I was growing up. His style of play and leadership, as the captain of the then Green Eagles, inspired me to work hard as a young player, and I don’t see any reason why I should quarrel with him. "Sincerely speaking, it would be very good if the other two players, Celestine Babayaro and Victor Agali, are contacted the way I have be approached. I tell you, there’ll be no way they would not respect their fatherland.
Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh! There is no other way to put it that the gentleman in question has skeleton in his "BASINboard".
Una wicked for this site oh!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

There were lots of Chukwu highlights on Segun Odegbami's various shows on NTA. He may have seen them there (that were I saw a lot of the exploits of the 1976-82 Eagles)
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

Please no need to dissect his every word and start another cruel age controversy. Remember non-Nigerians are active visitors and participants on this forum.

The gist of the article is that all parties involved (Yak, N.F.A and Ogunjobi) have agreed to move on and put the past behind them.

Please lets move on.
naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)

Post by naija4ever »

GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:Please no need to dissect his every word and start another cruel age controversy. Remember non-Nigerians are active visitors and participants on this forum.

The gist of the article is that all parties involved (Yak, N.F.A and Ogunjobi) have agreed to move on and put the past behind them.

Please lets move on.
Spot on GWG, sometimes i wonder whats wrong with some people here, they always try to look so deeeeeeep into every sentence, AD of all the articles, it was the age issue u found interesting, na waa oooooooooo for una, man don tire oooooo, na this dey make oyibo dey investigate these players sometimes, look at the issue of that camerounian's Iddrisou, and try to learn some lessons from there please, and stop all these age this age that nonsense, Yak's age is irrelevant here, most important thing is that he has returned period :shock: :shock: :wink:
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Post by Football Manager »

naija4ever wrote:
GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:Please no need to dissect his every word and start another cruel age controversy. Remember non-Nigerians are active visitors and participants on this forum.

Please lets move on.
Spot on GWG, sometimes i wonder whats wrong with some people here, they always try to look so deeeeeeep into every sentence, AD of all the articles, it was the age issue u found interesting, na waa oooooooooo for una, man don tire oooooo, na this dey make oyibo dey investigate these players sometimes, look at the issue of that camerounian's Iddrisou, and try to learn some lessons from there please, and stop all these age this age that nonsense, Yak's age is irrelevant here, most important thing is that he has returned period :shock: :shock: :wink:
Age is most relevant my fren odawise Mr C. Ellular go talk say him be fifteeen years to get a young girl of 14 as his sixth wife. :lol: :lol:
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

I beg U all, stop all this age nonsense, and concentrate on the main issuesexual rascality now that is a new phrase coined out of Yakenglish!
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923