Christian Obodo: I’m not Okocha’s shadow

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)
Christian Obodo: I’m not Okocha’s shadow

Post by naija4ever »

He was made to step into Austin Jay Jay Okocha’s shoes in the Super Eagles engine room – the midfield. And since that match against the Republic of Ireland, Perugia star, Christian Obodo, has been nicknamed Okocha’s shadow because he tried to clone the Bolton Wanderer’s skill. But the young lad says he’s nobody’s shadow, though he admires and literally worships Okocha as his hero.

"I try to play my game," Obodo told Daily Sunsport at the DOME Clubhouse, Abuja recently. "I’m nobody’s shadow because I have my own style. It’s wrong to say that I play like Okocha. No, I don’t play like anybody. I try to play my game the way I have been doing since I started playing football.
"Those who watch me in my club will agree that I play my game. I want to maintain my style because it is God who makes stars. You don’t have to play like anybody before you are made one.
"Honestly, I respect Okocha a lot. In fact, he’s my hero. I also respect Kanu but my style of play can’t ever be likened to that of Okocha or Kanu. We are different individuals and we are bound to have different skills.

"I agree Okocha is a bundle of talent whom I have to learn a lot from. But that does not mean that I have to ape him on the field. He’s a great star, no doubt, but at the appropriate time, God will lift me up to his standard. I’m not in a hurry to get to his level now.
"Things are beginning to happen for me, and I must thank God. Playing Okocha’s role in the Eagles could be a daunting task but as you know I have to learn through the ropes. It could be difficult, but I’ve tried my best in the two matches I played."
At a time when he had hoped to make the Eagles team to the African Nations Cup in Tunisia, Obodo was sensationally dropped. He fumed and asked questions. He temporarily turned his back on the nation in protest. But today, Obodo is back in action to lead his fatherland to Germany 2006 World Cup.
Speaking to Daily Sunsport on his Tunisia misfortune, Obodo said he would rather leave the past to rest and concentrate on the future.

He said: "The past is gone, and the coaches had their reasons for the decision they took at that time. All that is gone now. And for now, I want to give my best in any game I’m featured in. I don’t particularly want to do anything just to impress. I want my game to speak for me and, in God’s own time, I will shine like a star," he said philosophically.

On his season in Italy, the Perugia star stated that he had had an exciting season but is now likely to move on. Though he would not confirm which club he would be headed. He said discussions are still on by his agent and another Italian side.
Daily Sunsport, however, gathered that Obodo might be heading to AS Roma in the summer transfers. This much we gathered from his response on his next move when he smiled and simply said, "my agent, Chris Eseka, would be in a better position to say if it is Roma or not, but I’m certain of a move from Perugia."

Speaking on the World Cup qualifiers that also parades Algeria, Zimbabwe, Angola, Gabon and Rwanda, with the top team picking a ticket to the 2006 World Cup in Germany, Obodo said it is every player’s dream to go to the World Cup and, as such, he does not expect Nigeria to pick the ticket without a fight.
"Like the Rwandans put up a big fight and held us out for the first 45 minutes, the battle won’t be easy because football, like they say, is no mathematics. We’ll approach our matches with caution and won’t underrate any team."

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/s ... 15-002.htm
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
Fegwu
Re: Christian Obodo: I’m not Okocha’s shadow

Post by Fegwu »

naija4ever wrote:He was made to step into Austin Jay Jay Okocha’s shoes in the Super Eagles engine room – the midfield. And since that match against the Republic of Ireland, Perugia star, Christian Obodo, has been nicknamed Okocha’s shadow because he tried to clone the Bolton Wanderer’s skill. But the young lad says he’s nobody’s shadow, though he admires and literally worships Okocha as his hero.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/s ... 15-002.htm

It is over........this boy will not make a dent as a SE. Talk about bad company. :roll:
Cristao
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao »

It is over........this boy will not make a dent as a SE. Talk about bad company.
huh???
Eaglemaniac
Egg
Egg

Post by Eaglemaniac »

i'm lost

Long Live King Obi!!