Hotmail bounces Gmail invitations

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Wednesday June 16, 09:55 AM

By Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

Invitations to join Google's free email service, which have become much-desired, have been bounced by some MSN Hotmail accounts

Receiving a coveted invitation to open a free email account on Google's Gmail is a thrill that's literally lost on Microsoft.

At least it was for Joel Johnson's girlfriend, whose MSN Hotmail account bounced invitations to join Gmail twice last Wednesday. That day, Johnson was given the chance to dole out two accounts for Gmail to friends before the high-profile service is widely launched, per Google's policy of limiting membership to friends, and friends of friends, while it works out the kinks.

"The emails actually never went through, but I was able to... send them to her" via instant messenger, said Johnson, who wrote about the incident on his Web log, Gizmodo.

He added that several people emailed him about having had the same trouble inviting Hotmail users to Gmail. One person said that invitations to Orkut, Google's social networking site, were blocked by Hotmail.

Google acknowledged some similar occurrences with Hotmail but called them "very limited." MSN representatives said there were no known problems with Hotmail users receiving Gmail or Orkut invitations. "MSN Hotmail treats mail from Gmail accounts in the same manner as all other incoming mail," MSN product manager Brooke Richardson wrote in an email.

In April, Google announced plans to launch Gmail with 1GB of storage, a move that promised to change the landscape of free email services by removing storage limitations and improving email search. The effort also promised to undercut current offerings from Yahoo and MSN, which charge premiums for additional storage space and have limited search capabilities. As a result, Yahoo on Tuesday overhauled its email service and upped its storage to 100MB.

Google is still testing Gmail, but demand for membership is high. Many people are clamouring for popular user names already claimed on rival services or are desperate to flee current spam-ridden accounts. Consequently, a cottage industry has surfaced, with sites such as Gmail Swap letting people exchange invitations for goods or services. People are offering "friendship" or "Brazilian chocolate" in exchange for a Gmail invitation, according to two posts on the site.

Google's Gmail has also drawn heated criticism from privacy advocates because it involves scanning the contents of email and delivering related ads. The California Senate recently passed a Gmail bill that seeks to limit companies' ability to survey email for advertising purposes.

One privacy group has even set up a Web site called 'Gmail is too creepy' to promote a ban on receiving Gmail or sending mail to members.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040616/152/evzq6.html
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

All the emails I've sent from my gmail account to hotmail addresses haven't been recieved.

I told Google about it and got this response.

Thank you for your report. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue
may have caused. We are aware of this problem, and our engineers are
working diligently to find a solution. We appreciate your patience during
our limited test period, and we thank you for taking the time to send us
your feedback and concerns.

Sincerely,

The Gmail Team
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

4real? I never tried...MS better do something about it or they wud have an isolated email system.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Riche007, it's not just me. I know a few people who have that problem.
Fegwu

Post by Fegwu »

27, invite me let me check out this G-thing.

[email protected]

Thanks.
Fegwu

Post by Fegwu »

Thanks for the invitation.
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Fegwu, u might want to take off ur email addy from ur post or else, ur 100MB might not be able to hold the spams that wud come ur way soon.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Riche007 wrote:Fegwu, u might want to take off ur email addy from ur post or else, ur 100MB might not be able to hold the spams that wud come ur way soon.
yes. edit that post.
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

someone, PLEASE invite me

[email protected]

Ejoo

Biko

S'il vous plait

And thx in advance.